oneshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHANTS COUNTY

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Good morning hunters ,

I have a question that may sound stupid to you out there but I am going to post it and see just what type of responses I get . My question / dilemma is this when you read the Regulations booklet and the distances required to be from a school 800+ meters , does this to you fellow hunters understand the distance to be from the school or from the school zone ? Also when they speak of road boundaries , what is the legal known distance for a road boundary ?? I always thought and I am quite possibly wrong that the boundary was 66 feet from the centre line or middle of the road ??? I have heard that the distance is 33 meters ???? , but I do not know , if this is so then it would seem to me that if a person /hunter were the 33 meters ( if right ) from the road boundary plus the required 30 meters as stated in the Regulations booklet and every thing else being legal in regards to the area being hunted that it would be ok to shoot . If anyone out there can enlighten me as to how they read these regulations regarding the distances I would greatly appreciate your insight and letting me become more educated by getting back to me with your thoughts . Thanks to all in advance . All the best of the Holiday Season to everyone , have a great Xmas , and a prosperous New Year .

#2 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

My understanding is 800 + meters from the school propertyie soccer fields, etc unlike a dwelling where the distance is from the building. As far as a road it is 100 feet from the travelled portion of the road, but like the house, school, etc you cannot shoot toward the house, school, road, etc

By the by, you cannot set rabit snares or other traps within the 800+ meters of a school either.

#3 eastriver

eastriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationChester, NS area

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

how they read these regulations regarding the distances

I disregard them. I do that by not hunting near a road, near any building, and certainly not near enough that whatever weapon I'm using projectile will carry the distance that will make it dangerous to use it in the vicinity of any of those places.

I know that don't answer your question, But that is my personal code of ethics.

#4 Whimpster

Whimpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Good morning hunters ,

I have a question that may sound stupid to you out there but I am going to post it and see just what type of responses I get . My question / dilemma is this when you read the Regulations booklet and the distances required to be from a school 800+ meters , does this to you fellow hunters understand the distance to be from the school or from the school zone ? Also when they speak of road boundaries , what is the legal known distance for a road boundary ?? I always thought and I am quite possibly wrong that the boundary was 66 feet from the centre line or middle of the road ??? I have heard that the distance is 33 meters ???? , but I do not know , if this is so then it would seem to me that if a person /hunter were the 33 meters ( if right ) from the road boundary plus the required 30 meters as stated in the Regulations booklet and every thing else being legal in regards to the area being hunted that it would be ok to shoot . If anyone out there can enlighten me as to how they read these regulations regarding the distances I would greatly appreciate your insight and letting me become more educated by getting back to me with your thoughts . Thanks to all in advance . All the best of the Holiday Season to everyone , have a great Xmas , and a prosperous New Year .

Discharge of firearm/bow near buildings
11 (1) No person shall at any time hunt, take or kill or attempt to hunt, take or kill wildlife with a weapon or discharge a weapon within 804 metres of a school.
Subsection 11(1) amended: O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

This also takes in surrounding areas such as school property parking lots and playground area where children could be present at a legal time of hunting.
A school zone would be within 804 meters of a school.

Wildlife Act:
Hunting on highway

72 (1) Except as provided by the regulations, no person shall take, hunt or kill or attempt to take, hunt or kill any wildlife while such wildlife is within the boundaries of any common or public highway or within one hundred feet of such boundary.
(2) For the purpose of this Act, the width of all common and public highways shall, unless the contrary is proven, be deemed to be sixty-six feet in width. R.S., c. 504, s. 72.

#5 bukmaster43

bukmaster43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Locationcape breton

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

lol i cant understand much of anything from the book,i still trying to get used to the tag system. i dont understand why they dont have a tag that snaps or something along that line.lol

#6 oneshot

oneshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHANTS COUNTY

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Where does it say from school parking lot / playground etc., all I seem to be able to find is the 804 meters from a school , also I do not seem to be able to find where it specifically states one hundred feet of the boundary of a highway , I do however read that the distance to shoot is 30 meters from the boundary of a highway ( What is the highway boundary? ) . My point is if they want a person / hunter / trapper to be 100% correct to the letter of the law leave no room for doubt when you write regulations for hunting ,trapping, or what ever needs to have regulations , lets not leave these things to individual interpitation either by those enforcing regulations or by those trying to abide by them . Common sense also has to come into play in all instances when discharging a firearm of any kind in regards to the direction of the shot ( ie not towards houses , schools, barns , etc. ) . My main point is put the regulations in the booklet in a clear , concise manner so that everyone can understand them and leave no room for mis interpetation .

#7 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

As it says in the summary booklet, it is only a summary of the Wildlife Act and the Regulations Under the Wildlife Act. Here is some snow day reading for you, but don't forget, municipalies can add to these regulations as well ..

http://www.gov.ns.ca...ws/actsregs.asp

#8 eastriver

eastriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

"My main point is put the regulations in the booklet in a clear , concise manner so that everyone can understand them and leave no room for mis interpetation ."

Good luck with that.

#9 Whimpster

Whimpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Where does it say from school parking lot / playground etc., all I seem to be able to find is the 804 meters from a school , also I do not seem to be able to find where it specifically states one hundred feet of the boundary of a highway , I do however read that the distance to shoot is 30 meters from the boundary of a highway ( What is the highway boundary? ) . My point is if they want a person / hunter / trapper to be 100% correct to the letter of the law leave no room for doubt when you write regulations for hunting ,trapping, or what ever needs to have regulations , lets not leave these things to individual interpitation either by those enforcing regulations or by those trying to abide by them . Common sense also has to come into play in all instances when discharging a firearm of any kind in regards to the direction of the shot ( ie not towards houses , schools, barns , etc. ) . My main point is put the regulations in the booklet in a clear , concise manner so that everyone can understand them and leave no room for mis interpetation .

Under the Firearm and Bow Regulations made under Section 113 of the
Wildlife Act it states the distance from a school.... 804 meters.
If your with the prescribed distances your within the distance of a school playground and parking lot.

As for distance hunting from a highway.....again under the Wildlife Act:
Section:
Hunting on highway

72 (1) Except as provided by the regulations, no person shall take, hunt or kill or attempt to take, hunt or kill any wildlife while such wildlife is within the boundaries of any common or public highway or within one hundred feet of such boundary.
(2) For the purpose of this Act, the width of all common and public highways shall, unless the contrary is proven, be deemed to be sixty-six feet in width. R.S., c. 504, s. 72

I'm not sure if I can explain it any better,maybe someone else can word this in a simpler term.

Ok....maybe this will work..reach out and touch the school building at any point....walk 804 meters turn around...you are at 804 meters...

As for hunting on a highway....stand in the middle of the road...walk 33 feet in either direction of the width...stop and measure 100 feet from that point....anything beyond it is where your legal.

#10 eastriver

eastriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

"Ok....maybe this will work..reach out and touch the school building at any point....walk 804 meters turn around...you are at 804 meters..."

If you wanted to actually measure the distance then this is a spot where a GPS would come in very handy. For those GPS that have the feature
"Measure Distance" then that would work good here.

One method of measuring distance is to measure how long your step is. Take a couple of measurements for accuracy and try to step normally. Mine is about 29.5 inches. Using math then I knew how many steps it takes for me to measure 100yds.
100 yds x 36 inches = 3600 divide by 29.5 = 122 steps. Not super accurate, but close enough.

#11 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

As for hunting on a highway....stand in the middle of the road...walk 33 feet in either direction of the width...stop and measure 100 feet from that point....anything beyond it is where your legal.

33 feet is probably the minimun from the middle you'd have to walk. The highway can wider than 66 feet and if it is, the contrary can be proven.

Just walk 100 feet in from what you'd generally consider the shoulder of the road.

#12 oneshot

oneshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHANTS COUNTY

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I have read the regulation booklet and I asure you that I can read but this statement boundaries of any common or public highway or within one hundred feet of such boundary means and I also understand the 804 meters from a scvhool , but if you read my first post it's not the distances I question it's where these distances begin once again I 'll try and make it a bit more understandable on my part . Is the distance from the school taken from the outside wall of the school in any direction or is it taken from the beginning of the School zone , as you may or may not be aware School zone signs are quite some distance from actual schools. at least 500 meters I would guess and possibly even further so how is the distance taken if it was or is taken from the start of the zone and if the zone began lets say the 500 meters from the ( actual school wall that you could reach out and touch ) add the 804 meters in the book plus the required distance from the boundary of a highway whatever ( that is interperted to be ) as you can tell it varies according to what I read here in the replies all added together would be nearing the kilometer and a half mark at least , I am not questioning the required width of a highway , which may be 66 ft ( key word being width not boundary ) , don't really care what I want to know is the boundary taken from the actual width of the highway is and as I read the regulation booklet that it is 30.48 meters which is equal to 100ft as some have mentioned from this boundary that it is legal to shoot providing all other legalities are also adhered to. I also would also like to assure anyone reading this or any of my statements / questions on here that I not only read the book on snowy days but others as well , and that I still find lots of parts of many regulations wide open to interpetation , and I do not consider my self to be nor am I trying to be ignorant in making any statement in this forum or any other and would expect the same in return .

#13 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

oneshot, since the school zone is for traffic regulations, I don't think I'd worry about it.

“School” to me means the building, parking lots, athletic fields, grounds, playgrounds, or any another area a child might be found in the course of their school-day.

I think they leave school purposefully vague because they don't want the hassle of arguing technicalities. So I don’t think you’re going to get a satisfactory answer here. One such technicality that pops into my head would be something like a cross-country running track. I’m quite certain you would be expected to be at least 800M from that.

Personally, I’d try to be at least 1 KM away from these areas to give yourself some extra buffer. I would also hope that if a CO finds you at around 750M from a school and that was your only offense, he would practice discretion and just give you a warning. 400M away, I’d hand you a ticket.

As for roads, I've always considered the boundry to be the point where they've stopped trimming.

#14 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

“School” to me means the building, parking lots, athletic fields, grounds, playgrounds, or any another area a child might be found in the course of their school-day.

This is the way it wasexplained to me - school proprty as the kids could be anywhere on the property in their classes, soccer fiield during gym classes, for example.

#15 oneshot

oneshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHANTS COUNTY

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

May be it should be written in the regulations as such 804 metere from school property , lets make it a definitive statement in the book because as you are all probably well aware some schools properties extend for quite some area from the actual school ie as stated soccer fields , nature paths or running paths whatever , my problem is that it's all left up to interpitation of individuals either hunters , Conservation officers , Police , and so and so on like Huntwisely this is the way it was explained to , well my question back to Huntwisely would be who explained it to and upon what or whose authority was this explained to you . I just find it to seem quite unreasonable that if came to one interpitation of where distances were taken from against anothers interpitatation of the same thing that it would have to go to a court of law in order to find out what , which in my mind would be again a interpitation of how the regualation is written by a legal representative which may or may not know a whole lot about hunting but a lot about ditances . Once again just my thoughts . But having the regulations read more clearly might possibly save both the Government and some ( trying to follow reulations hunter ) a lot of money in legal costs only to get anothers interpitation.

#16 eastriver

eastriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Actually all of those distances should be much longer. New hunters are taught that weapons (depending on cal/gauge/shot/bullet) have a "dangerous range", Most of those far exceed the minimum hunting distances in the Regulations.

Schoolyard full of kids - 30-06 going much more that 804 meters - big problem

#17 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

May be it should be written in the regulations as such 804 metere from school property

The problem I have with wording it as such is that schools can own much more property than they're currently using. I realize this is a stretch but assume a school owns an unused wooded stretch of land behind it that extends back 800 M. If you're hunting 100 M away from it, you're well within the limit and could be issued a ticket when there is 900 M of woodland between you and the edge of the school grounds.

COs, RCMP officers and judges aren't robots and realize some laws aren't exactly clear. I think most people believe the measure starts from the edge of the school grounds, so when in doubt go with that. If your only crime is straying a bit inside the boundry I wouldn't expect any more than a warning. If someone is caught poaching in an area close to school, I don't care if they pull out the tape measure and charge them for being 1 M within the boundry.

#18 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Actually all of those distances should be much longer. New hunters are taught that weapons (depending on cal/gauge/shot/bullet) have a "dangerous range", Most of those far exceed the minimum hunting distances in the Regulations.

Schoolyard full of kids - 30-06 going much more that 804 meters - big problem

For god sake let's not suggest any more restrictions on hunting areas, it's bad enough now trying to find decent spots. Use common sense and enjoy the privilege. The rules are fine now if followed. How long has it been since a publicized hunting accident/shooting has been reported in Nova Scotia? Since baiting and stand hunting became the norm I can't think of any. But I could be wrong.

#19 eastriver

eastriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm just saying that even at the distances in the Regulations that "knowing your target and beyond" should always be foremost in your mind.

Maybe I should have said, Actually those distances could have been much longer. Ur right, we don't need any more restrictions.

#20 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

If you look at section 11 of the Regulation

http://www.gov.ns.ca...regs/wifire.htm

...it sort of implies that it is the school building that is used for the distance requirement.
Specifically, it says "...or public building other than a school." ...and it is repeated a few times.

The schoolyard I'm assuming would fall under the 'playground' or 'athletic field' stipulations...

Yup...It sure isn't very clear, and there is room for someone to run into an issue.

If you're hunting within a kilometer of a school, I'd suggest you contact the local DNR office to be sure of your boundaries.

Your True 'Ethics'...are what you do when you think no one sees you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users