Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

If you look at section 11 of the Regulation

http://www.gov.ns.ca...regs/wifire.htm

...it sort of implies that it is the school building that is used for the distance requirement.
Specifically, it says "...or public building other than a school." ...and it is repeated a few times.

The schoolyard I'm assuming would fall under the 'playground' or 'athletic field' stipulations...

Yup...It sure isn't very clear, and there is room for someone to run into an issue.

If you're hunting within a kilometer of a school, I'd suggest you contact the local DNR office to be sure of your boundaries.

Discharge of firearm/bow near buildings
11 (1) No person shall at any time hunt, take or kill or attempt to hunt, take or kill wildlife with a weapon or discharge a weapon within 804 metres of a school.
Subsection 11(1) amended: O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

The letter of the law said...(school) but rest assured if there is an issue with someone being to close to a school playground with a firearm and there is an incident....you will be enlightened by a CO,or a Judge.
As one member stated it's best to be further away from a school then necessary....it removes all doubt.
Acts and Regulations can be misinterpreted.. and many times are,that's why it's left up to officer discretion and the judicial system.....

#22 Kinger

Kinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

I can tell you for sure if I am driving by an overgrown field thats not in use, no signs, legal distance from dwellings etc, and there’s a healthy deer standing there, Im parking my truck, leave it running, dawning my hunter orange, with rifle in hand I’m going pace 50 m from the road, if that deer is still standing there, I’m tagging out! I’ve bagged a deer several times in my 38 years of hunting by spotting a deer off the road! There’s nothing wrong with it in my mind! Hunting is not just a sport and matter of fact it’s more about conservation and maintaining a healthy deer population. It matters not how, where, when you take your deer. It matters you do it legally and DNR appreciates that another deer wont starve in winter or die from disease etc.

how they read these regulations regarding the distances

I disregard them. I do that by not hunting near a road, near any building, and certainly not near enough that whatever weapon I'm using projectile will carry the distance that will make it dangerous to use it in the vicinity of any of those places.

I know that don't answer your question, But that is my personal code of ethics.

#23 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:07 AM

WOWSERS...talk about waking the dead up  blink.png blink.png blink.png blink.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#24 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:07 PM

WOWSERS...talk about waking the dead up  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I was thinking the same thing last night when I read it,but I let er ride cause the poster is a newbie. Take it easy on newbies cause we need them.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#25 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users