#1 Paul S

Paul S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Harbour

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

I had three traps stolen in the Lake Echo/Minesville area last weekend. 2 120's and 1 220. When I reported it to DNR they told me there have been alot of similar reports this year. Anyone else in that area be aware!

#2 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Probably some do gooder tree hugging thieves or a real sleeze bag.

#3 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I lost 2 X 120s on the Old Mines Road over the last few days, one with the box and all and the other just the trap. Don't really care a whole lot about the traps but now there are 2 tags out there with my number on that aren't under my control.

#4 bog_trapper

bog_trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationLawerencetown, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Tree Huggers would be my bet, I lost a few in the area last year.

#5 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

If the traps are being stolen....then it is thieves taking them. I don't think it is productive to imply that everyone that is a 'tree hugger' is also a thief, anti-hunter and so on. It just simply is not the case. Be angry about loosing your gear...ya have a right to be....but direct your anger in the right direction.....not a shot gun accusation...it simply is not a productive process.

I truly hope the culprit is caught and charged.

Butch

#6 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

In PEI I know of one group notorious for removing gear, going around road blocks on their four wheelers, fire down PAVED roads, and never asking for permission to use folks land... And they are 'hunters' who run their dogs on coyotes...

Those arent tree huggers in any definition, and should really know better than to do half of what they do.

Report all your problems. We got some gear back two years ago. No charges but CO was great to deal with. For once felt lime a respected citizen instead of the usual broad strokes
Wanted: More places to hunt and more time to do it.

#7 Paul S

Paul S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Harbour

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I did report it to DNR and let them know my traps all had my number on them. I just didn't want my traps set somewhere illegally with my tag on them! I don't expect to ever see them again.

#8 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

I love how the tree huggers jump out of the woodwork when it comes to stealing traps. I've never run into anyone other than hunters in the woods at this time of year, yet these ninja tree hungers are out there snatching up traps. :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

#9 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Be angry about loosing your gear...

I'm sorry Butch. I wouldn't point that out to anyone else, but I'm sure you've nailed a few students on the same mistake. ;)

Keep that gear tight boys!

#10 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

You should also report to the rcmp. They gather he info, and one never knows when they make a check what they miht find.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#11 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

I love how the tree huggers jump out of the woodwork when it comes to stealing traps. I've never run into anyone other than hunters in the woods at this time of year, yet these ninja tree hungers are out there snatching up traps. :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

"Tree huNgers"...??

I wouldn't point that out to anyone else, but I'm sure you've nailed a few students TEACHER on the same mistake.

:P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#12 sureshot

sureshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

what is a tree hugger?

#13 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

"Tree huNgers"...??

:P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Er... um.... stupid spell check.

#14 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

what is a tree hugger?

It's like a Snuggie but for trees.

#15 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Er... um.... stupid spell check.

:lol: :lol:

#16 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

"I'm sure you've nailed a few students on the same mistake"

Actually, it would be my practice to acknowledge all the excellent spellings and writing skills the student was doing well and ignore one tiny error. I would follow this up with a discussion of the point he/she made and hope to expand on this mature and insightful observation. :wub:

Now, back to our program.

Butch

#17 sirlobsterman89

sirlobsterman89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

what is a tree hugger?

animal welfare activists, anti-trappers notorious for stealing legally set traps under the pretense of defending the wildlife that we may be catching.

#18 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

My experience has been that it is usually another "trapper" who is pissed because some one is in their spot. Most people don't go into the woods with a pair of side cutters in their pocket :ph34r: . Both traps that I lost had the tie wires cut with cutters.

#19 sirlobsterman89

sirlobsterman89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

My experience has been that it is usually another "trapper" who is pissed because some one is in their spot. Most people don't go into the woods with a pair of side cutters in their pocket :ph34r: . Both traps that I lost had the tie wires cut with cutters.

that sucks, but you can get some small bolt cutters that will easily fit in a backpack or large pocket, they can easily cut any trap chain or cable. I guess it's easier than trying to pull the stakes.

#20 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I "stole" a trap recently. It was a submerine trap with no tag on it, set on agricultural land that the trapper had no permission to be on and it had 3 rotten rats in it.....so if this sounds like a trap of anyones that was "stolen", then please contact me and we'll get ya sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users