#41 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

(4) No person shall knowingly touch or interfere with any trap set in accordance with this Act or the regulations unless authorized to do so by this Act or the regulations. R.S., c. 504, s. 48.

Yup thats what it says but who enforces it last year I had to get really upset a person who had messed with my gear in 2010 and was threatened to be doing it again, when I stop to let them know that I had gear set in that area again, while they were walking their dogs in that area, I was polite and one guy was being belligerent and a total A- HOLE but after I had a enough, I set him straight of who was breaking the law and what goes around comes around and later when I went back to see if my gear was still there, I turned around in his driveway ! But a person should not have to confront these A- Holes, it has the potential to go wrong in a hurry. All I like is to have my gear and myself left alone, live in peace and do my job.

#42 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

(4) No person shall knowingly touch or interfere with any trap set in accordance with this Act or the regulations unless authorized to do so by this Act or the regulations. R.S., c. 504, s. 48.

Again...I know what the regs say, but thanks for posting it. The way I read it is that it's illegal to interfere with a trap set in accordance with the regulations....and this one obviously wasnt.

#43 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

(3) Except for box traps, snares set completely under ice, submarine traps or rat traps equipped with a hood or other device to prevent animals larger than weasels from activating the trigger and as provided in subsection (4), no person shall set or place a trap or snare within 274 m of a dwelling, school, playground, athletic field, or place of business unless that person is the owner or occupier of the dwelling or has the permission of the owner or occupier or is authorized in writing by a conservation officer for the purpose of trapping nuisance wildlife.

From what i know as a trapper:
----trapping devices are each described in the regulations , ie foot hold, body gripping trap, box traps submarine traps etc for defination and distinction
--- i am not allowed to drive a motorized vehicle or tresspass by foot on cultviated land with out the owners pemission ever
----I am not allowed to trap by any means if there is sinage no trapping

If am using submarine traps as stated in the exception.
-- a water course is not owned by an one in NS , and I should be able to access and use such a place providing i dont tresspass on the cultivated land.
---if the discription met the defination of forest then I could access the area by the forest along the water course. If the forest was posted then that access would be denighed to the forest, but not to the water course.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#44 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Every one knows trapping gear has to be tagged, but if a person is touching the gear that they do not own without DNR authority even looking for tags a person is in violation I would think.

One might think they have the authority because of were its set There again only DNR can make the distinction as they have the authority to do so.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#45 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I"m not sure what point you're trying to make.

The trap was on cultivated land.

The trap didnt have a tag on it.

The trap had 3 dead "rotten" rats in it...it wasnt being tended.

The trap was in a ditch, not a water course.

#46 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

And yes....I agree with you, the proper thing to do is contact DNR. I just didnt care to waste my time doing it.

#47 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I"m not sure what point you're trying to make.

The trap was on cultivated land.

The trap didnt have a tag on it.

The trap had 3 dead "rotten" rats in it...it wasnt being tended.

The trap was in a ditch, not a water course.

My point is you have no were stated that you had a person of authority make any of he decisions that you did with out there consent. Its that simple.

Im pointing out to the readers whats in the regulations.

#48 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

It's this simple to me....you come knock on my door and ask to set legal traps on the farm, you'll have my complete blessing. You trespass onto the farm and set illegal traps, I'll pick them up everytime. Right or wrong, that's not going to change with me.

#49 DuckerDan

DuckerDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationGreenwood

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Ya know...we have a "like" button here.
If you wish to indicate a good post you just have to click on the green # on the bottom right of the post.
Shown here in the yellow circle in CT's post.
Shown in the red circle in Markus's post is what it looks like after you click it and indicate you agree with either the action or just outright "like" the post
Just sayin' :)

Posted Image

An error occurred.
"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Love this site, not aloud to be toooooo POSITIVE...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#50 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

x 2 :)

An error occurred.
"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

#51 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Even if there is conflicting oponions about types of traps when or where, there is NO confussion with this part of the fur harvesting regulations.

Conservation officers can only work with what they have for regulations to work with, be it tresspassing or trapping hunting , or fishing violations.

(6) If a trap or snare is found within any limits prohibited by these regulations, the owner or occupier of the land or dwelling may inform the conservation officer and with the consent of the conservation officer remove and surrender the trap or snare to the Department.

#52 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Legal doesn't always equal ethical.
3 rotten carcasses means the trap was still trapping and unattended.
While I agree the land owner should have called DNR I also agree that pulling the trap immediately was the proper/ethical action in this case.
People...being hunters or trappers running around ripshod wherever they want and pointing to rules/regs saying ...it's in there and I CAN AND WILL DO IT is the biggest scurge on hunters/trappers I have seen to date and when its used in that matter makes us ALL look like ignorant idiots..
If you can't exercise enough respect to find and ask a land owner if you can set killing traps or hunt on their property and respect their answer don't complain about the lack of respect you get in return.
As far as I'm concerned Markus did the farmer a favor by removing something hazardous from his property....most likely with his blessing.

#53 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Legal doesn't always equal ethical.
3 rotten carcasses means the trap was still trapping and unattended.
While I agree the land owner should have called DNR I also agree that pulling the trap immediately was the proper/ethical action in this case.

So far no one has confirmed the owner of the sub is even alive. They might be in a very dark cave of no return. Even if he consevation knew who it might be , they have no info to figure it out perhaps.

I dont think there was any need not to report this event, and it appears that some past experiences has left a bad taste, so much to the point that it was said that it was considered usless to report this event. Unfortunally we dont know the previous situation nor does it really have any thing to do with it.

Its to bad this site has shifted as such. By that I mean at one time it was a good place to find out info about trapping and hunting. Even to place forward opposite oponions on subjects in a constructive manner.

I dont find it the same my self any more. I can appreiate that any one can make a mistake, but with some on here, I did expect a little better judgement on an open form.

Oh yea , when the site first started we also had a big speal about picture posting. Especially on animals in snares and traps. May be KPR you can fill give us that reminder.

I guess the moderaters are still on holidays. I ve been logging in as a test to see if my request has gone through.
Im sure they will get to me soon.
You will still have your play pen, only some wont be playing on the inside.
Gone to buy those cheap lobster, That should get some action started.

#54 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Cumb, it would be nice to live in the past. There was a time that the public couldnt care less if you shot a deer off their front yard. Those days are long gone. Trappers need to realize they are losing valuable fur areas to work because of poor unethical decisions. The public wants that respect. You keep saying the trapper might be dead....well he must have been alve at one point when he trespassed out there to set it.

Like i first said, the trap is at my place. I put the word out in the community. if the trapper wants it, he'll know where it is and he can come retreive it.

#55 Halftail

Halftail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationBarrington,NS

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Some people are just what they are Cumb. Nothing you cn do about that. However..... Since you and I have trapping connection ill set you up with a great buy on lobster.
If you can't convince them,confuse them.

#56 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

So far no one has confirmed the owner of the sub is even alive. They might be in a very dark cave of no return. Even if he consevation knew who it might be , they have no info to figure it out perhaps.

Without any tag on the trap...no...they have no info.
ALL trappers should have ALL their gear tagged for just that reason...NO EXCEPTIONS....even NWO's
that way there is no confusion just like lobster gear...no tag = ILLEGAL

Also that scenario may be a valid reason for trappers to have a record of where and how many traps they have out at all times.
Simple process of keeping track of them all by waypoints on a handheld GPS.
If the trapper falls ill or passes on his gear can be collected by someone else versus staying set until they catch something eventually or as in this case...repeatedly.

#57 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Without any tag on the trap...no...they have no info.
ALL trappers should have ALL their gear tagged for just that reason...NO EXCEPTIONS....even NWO's
that way there is no confusion just like lobster gear...no tag = ILLEGAL

KPR honest trappers are ones who follow the regulations. trap tagging is part of the process.

What marcus found was a poacher. I dont think you will find poachers tagging traps, not tagging any thing for that matter.

There are very few trapping violations each year. I have only heard of three charges in the last 6 years. None were tag related.

There might be other things found, but if there not reported to be investaged by those who have the authority to investigate then they are what ?

No futher regulations are needed as there is no indication other wise.

#58 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I dont think there was any need not to report this event, and it appears that some past experiences has left a bad taste, so much to the point that it was said that it was considered usless to report this event. Unfortunally we dont know the previous situation nor does it really have any thing to do with it.

Its to bad this site has shifted as such. By that I mean at one time it was a good place to find out info about trapping and hunting. Even to place forward opposite oponions on subjects in a constructive manner.

I dont find it the same my self any more. I can appreiate that any one can make a mistake, but with some on here, I did expect a little better judgement on an open form.

Oh yea , when the site first started we also had a big speal about picture posting. Especially on animals in snares and traps. May be KPR you can fill give us that reminder.

I guess the moderaters are still on holidays. I ve been logging in as a test to see if my request has gone through.
Im sure they will get to me soon.
You will still have your play pen, only some wont be playing on the inside.
Gone to buy those cheap lobster, That should get some action started.

2X IT JUST A GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB and do as I say but not as I do ! Hypocrisy at it trues form ,some people with Narcissistic character and pugnacious nature have to stroke their own ego ! But most see them for who they really are !

#59 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well another catch stole, a coyote. This has been the worse year yet more gear taken and messed with then any other to date,not sure if its the demand or the bonus. Talked to the CO last week and there is not much he can do, he said the guy was going to do what he was doing and would not listen to any advice from the CO so I guess I will have to do what I have to do. I have informed the RCMP regarding other legal issues with this character, so it was on file. I getting P off and not sure where this may end up but from a legal point there is not any help out there !

#60 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

C4t its been my experience that when it comes to items lost or shall we say stolen such as our hunting gear or trapping gear in the field DNR will just tell ya to call the rcmp its a criminal code violation not a wildlife violation .But I would think that traps come under the wildlife act as they have been tampered or removed.The rcmp seem to put this stuff way down on their priority list,atleast till it escalates into a confrontation with suspects which will eventually happen as in my case ,thus problem solved for the time being anyway as some animals dont change their stripes!
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users