anyone know what information i need to know to verify someones pal

#2 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Their PAL number, full given names and date of birth.

#3 Woodsie123

Woodsie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

would it be weird that they want your date and place of birth

#4 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I wouldn't give them my place of birth.With that info someone could pose as you calling the cfo office,change address and then have guns bought under your name and shipped to the new address.

#5 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

The only way the CFC will verify a PAL is with the 3 pieces of information I listed above. I didn't say PLACE OF BIRTH I said DATE OF BIRTH. Your other option would be get a scan of the PAL emailed to you as some guys are asking for. I wouldn't personally recommend sending a scan.

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

The only way the CFC will verify a PAL is with the 3 pieces of information I listed above. I didn't say PLACE OF BIRTH I said DATE OF BIRTH. Your other option would be get a scan of the PAL emailed to you as some guys are asking for. I wouldn't personally recommend sending a scan.

heh heh heh......could be they're a little hard of hearing...maybe...heh heh
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 electrode

electrode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationWhite's Lake

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

As far as know all you need is his/her name and the PAL number then call the cheif of firearms NS... they should be able to tell you if the licence is valid.

Contact

Provincial Firearms Office
5151 Terminal Road, Ground Floor
P.O. Box 7
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 2L6
Phone: (902) 424-6689
Toll Free:
1-800-731-4000 ext. 6505
Fax: (902) 424-4308
Email: [email protected]

"If the women don't find you handsome..They should at least find you handy" -Red Green

#8 Tikka

Tikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Locationvalley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Are people still even checking pal's,I bought 2 guns in the last 4months(from dealers) and they didn't even ask for pal.I know they don't call in registration info any more but thought they would ask to see my pal.So except for your own peace of mind,does it even matter if you check pal for a private sale.If any one has any more insight on this let me know.Whole thing is a mixed up mess as far as I can see.

#9 capercanuck

capercanuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Are people still even checking pal's,I bought 2 guns in the last 4months(from dealers) and they didn't even ask for pal.I know they don't call in registration info any more but thought they would ask to see my pal.So except for your own peace of mind,does it even matter if you check pal for a private sale.If any one has any more insight on this let me know.Whole thing is a mixed up mess as far as I can see.

The potential seller should definately be checking for a PAL. I do every time. It's the law.

God forbid the sold firearm is used in a crimes and it's traced back to you. Then you're in a heap of trouble!

As long as you ask for the purchasers PAL information and confirm it's valid with the CFO, you've taken care of your own liabilities with regard to the sale.

And while I was no fan of the registry at all, with its demise is going to come those "opportunists" who will be purchasing firearms from sellers who feel they don't need to ask for PAL's any longer.

I've got friends and relatives working in LE out there and I think of them everytime I sell a firearm.

#10 capercanuck

capercanuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

x2

"I didn't say PLACE OF BIRTH I said DATE OF BIRTH"

Make sure you have the buyers DATE OF BIRTH or you will be told to call back.

#11 Tikka

Tikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Locationvalley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I know what your saying capercanuck,I have family and friends in LE as well and if I sell any firearms I check pal as well,but where they are not registered any more the person that buys the firearm does not have to call in and register it.He could give it to someone or sell it to someone else and they don't reister it and all of a sudden last person that had it reistered is you(all though all this information is to be done away with anyways).So really that firearm can change hands 100 times and no one knows where it is at,so checking a pal really doesn't accomplish anything.Same as before the law abideing person can do all he wants but it really doesn't help in long run except for your own peace of mind,correct me if I'm wrong.

#12 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Outside Quebec, when transferring a non-restricted firearm, the transferor (e.g., a seller) may contact the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 and request confirmation of whether the transferee (e.g., a buyer), at the time of transfer, holds a licence authorizing them to acquire and possess that kind of firearm.

Who can be a transferee

The transferee is the individual who is acquiring the firearm. In Canada, a firearm may only be transferred to one of the following:

an adult (18 or older) with a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that is valid for that class of firearm;
a business, museum, or other organization with a Firearms Business Licence; or
a public service agency – for example, a police force, a police academy or certain government departments or agencies.

The word MAY contact is used above indicating verification of a valid PAL is voluntary. Me if I can't see it personally then I will call and verify only to complete due diligence.

#13 capercanuck

capercanuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

yep, once the firearm is sold to someone else, you loose control of it.

same as a vehicle. you're not responsible, whether legally or morally, once you make the decision to sell that firearm, and the next owner decides to sell or trade it.

my reasoning behind confirming a PAL is that at the very least, the person receiving the the firearms has had some training, and I'm not selling it to a person under 18 (correct me if I'm wrong about the age).

i couldn't imagine getting a call that a firearms i sold was used in a crime.

we all like to think that firearms aren't registered anymore, there's no way to link us to them, but with internet history, cell records and landline records it isn't difficult at all for knowledgable folks to determine where a firearm came from.

#14 eh class

eh class

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Eagle has bought and sold more firearms than most people will ever see , I would listen to him in a heartbeat ....
I don't need to wait for hunting season , I shoot year round

#15 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I wasn't doubting you Eagle,I was answering the other posters question:

would it be weird that they want your date and place of birth

#16 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Ah ha, I see how it was posed. Didn't catch the drift, mind isn't as sharp as it was Sunday or last Friday for that matter... :D

#17 Tikka

Tikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Locationvalley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hay guys thanks for more insight on subject,like I said I was surprised when an actual dealer didn't ask for mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users