simong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Locationwolfville

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

should be a nice little topic,
grew up with shot guns, so rifles are a whole new ball game for me but it looks like ill either be in Alberta or Newfoundland in August and be buying a rifle. so,

who in your opinion makes the best bolt action rifle under $1,000.
who has the best action?
reliability?
accuracy? mind you its the shooter that makes it accurate

and more importantly in my opinion, which makers and models to stay away from.

#2 Bear River Buck

Bear River Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

i have a 66 year old Winchester model 70 that still does the job... there are sooooo many good brands out there its hard to say who is the best, research is the best bet and this is a good place to start, some big gun buffs on here...
The BS stops, when the tailgate drops...

#3 kendog

kendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Valley

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Savage is the rifle to beat in my opinion, especially for under a grand. Not sure what ones are bad enough to keep away from, I was always a Winchester guy, still kinda am but for out of the box accuracy Savage is the way to go.

#4 Valley Hunter

Valley Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Browning Browning Browning Browning

#5 Blade

Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

i have a sako a7 just dings over 1k but i love it..

under 1k i would say tikka t3 lite? smooth and accurate :)

#6 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

who in your opinion makes the best bolt action rifle under $1,000.
who has the best action?
reliability?
accuracy?

Husqvarna or anything Swedish made pre 1970

#7 longrange308

longrange308

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Windchester was good one time, browning isn't even in the top 5, the best bolt action rifle of all time is Remington not any Remington the Model 700.

#8 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1468 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'd say its personal preference. Some guys could say (for example not putting anything down) Winchester are the best and other guys could say its garbage. Some say Savage are great others say no. Im just using this as examples as they are the brands posted above. So to me its up to the shooter and not what everyone else says.

#9 kendog

kendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Valley

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

I disagree, it's not all up to the shooter, I'm a way better shot with a sub MOA rifle than one that can hardly hit a five gallon pail.

#10 longrange308

longrange308

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

kendog I agree, personal preference has nothing to do with it.

#11 deadeyes

deadeyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Locationamherst

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

for your dollar value the savages are hard to beat.are the others bad by no means.just why would you want to spend a grand on something without a scope. when you can spend 500 for a rifle and another 500 for the glass and have something that will shoot every bit as good or better than the one you spent a grand + for.

#12 Scout

Scout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I wouldn't let anyone I like shoot a mossburg or savage, might as well save your money for a quality firearm, like Browning, or my favorites Tikka and Sako.

I think you can get into,a Tikka for under $1000.

#13 38'55

38'55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I do not own a Savage bolt but I did and was very accurate with plain old Federal Classics. Presently I have an FN mfg Winchester Model 70 Sporter 30'06 which I only recently aquired. I have not taken game with it or spent much range time with it other than sighting it in. It fits me well and seems to be a shooter. Also it has the features of a pre 64. IMO finding a hunting rifle that fits you is very important as most factory rifles are more than accurate enough for hunting. Asking yourself if you want a removable mag? What style safety do you prefer? Blue or stainless? Barrel length? Wood or synthetic? Adjustable trigger etc, etc. Sakos are nice but maybe a bit more than your price range.(The Sako Bavarian Carbine is on my wish list.) It is nice to actually hold the rifle an be able to cycle the bolt and dry fire it. If you buy from an online dealer this won't be possible. My other two bolt actions are both Rugers, a Frontier and a Gunsite Scout. While neither are as accurate as the afore mentioned Winchester and Savage they both have shorter barrels. If it was me all I can say is NO REMINGTONS! There that will surely rile someone up. Good luck there's lots to choose from.

#14 Inuk

Inuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Never had a problem with my Mossberg or Savage. The Savage was on the center of the target out of the box and for less than 450 bucks for the rifle, scope, trigger lock and case. Had it for four years and never a miss at the range or in the field. I favour my Remington though only because I love the .270 over all other calibers.
If you are too busy to hunt, if you are too busy to fish..........you are TOO BUSY!!

#15 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

for reliability, can't beat a lee enfield :) :) , go ahead laugh :) , but i can out shoot my brother and his savage .300winmag in the deerwoods(where it counts :) )
Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#16 Cmerrill

Cmerrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

I wouldn't let anyone I like shoot a mossburg or savage, might as well save your money for a quality firearm, like Browning, or my favorites Tikka and Sako.

I think you can get into,a Tikka for under $1000.

Then you're not a very good friend... Savage is unbeatable for the price. The price doesn't always determine accuracy and or reliability. Sometime's you're just paying for the name/status and Browning seems more like a status rifle than anything else. If you have the money you can be part of the Browning club, then you can rip on Savage and other reasonably priced rifles that shoot just as well if not better.

#17 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

depends on price you want to pay..
lots of sub moa rifles under a grand..
Savage makes a fine shooting rifle..very good barrels on them
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- Mossberg patriot - wood/iron sights, .30-06
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#18 CAT COUNTRY

CAT COUNTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Savage is the rifle to beat in my opinion, especially for under a grand. Not sure what ones are bad enough to keep away from, I was always a Winchester guy, still kinda am but for out of the box accuracy Savage is the way to go.

X2

#19 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

If you want the most successful I would say

Lee Enfeild

I do love my Savage though, although it's likely not the "best" it was the best for me when you talk a balance of cost and quality.

#20 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9427 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Whatever gun everyone owns...THAT is the best gun!!...at least for them anyways. Most guys will find fault with one type or another (( I'm no different )) I love most of them...I've had a lot of them....but it should come down to a few very important things before you make a decision....here's some considerations.

1))....what is my $$$ MAXIMUM $$$ budget ?
2))....what guns " fit me properly "...handle as many as you can...look to friends and gunshops ( don't forget heavy clothing)
3))....what guns can I shoot comfortably ( do I flinch with a big caliber)
4))....what's available for me if I want it locally....will I order one in or on line ??
5))....Is ammo readily available ??

All guns have their quirks...Savage L/A and short bodied scopes are a PITA...you'll need extension rings
Some Huskys and Mausers have no scope bell clearance...without modifications
Winchester B/A's have the big old clunky 3P safety
Tikka's ...plastic bolt parts

Hard to beat a Savage or Browning, Sako or Tikka tho... :P

I could go on and on...it is what it is. Your wallet will ultimately decide for you.

That being said, my favs are Sako, Browning, Tikka, Savage, Winchester, Ithaca, Beretta, Husky's, Rugers, Mausers, all of these I have owned / sold / traded along the way ...few others too !
btw...I left Remington out on purpose, cuzzz I no likey :P
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users