#1 stewy1

stewy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationStewiacke

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to this site so help to get some help. I'm looking forward to trying bullfrog hunting. I live in the Stewiacke area and was wondering if anybody knows where to find some bigger size bullfrogs. If anybody has hunted them before whats the best was ex. giggin or net or just with bare hands, which works better. Thanks.

#2 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1468 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I like bare hands or net. More of a challenge then just dangling a fly in front of them and waiting for it to attack.

#3 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1468 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

As for location tho im not to sure where produces BIG frogs.

#4 stewy1

stewy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationStewiacke

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

MACK11 have you ever used a gig to get them and have gone froggin before, and to how much luck did u have. i'm in the Stewiacke area where abouts do you live and where abouts have you tried, cheers

#5 Rottweiler

Rottweiler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSydney, Nova Scotia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to this site so help to get some help. I'm looking forward to trying bullfrog hunting. I live in the Stewiacke area and was wondering if anybody knows where to find some bigger size bullfrogs. If anybody has hunted them before whats the best was ex. giggin or net or just with bare hands, which works better. Thanks.

Here is a copy and paste of a site I looked on. Reason I did because I would love to try them but read there are none in cape breton, although as a youngster, I can near swear I cought them here as a child, but the site still says and did before that there are no bull frogs on the cape :(

"In Nova Scotia, Bullfrogs are common in the Cumberland lowlands and inland from the spruce-fir coast of the southern mainland (mostly west of Highway 102). Common at a few localities in the St. Mary's River watershed. Probably occur in a few other local pockets northeast of Halifax. There are no records of Bullfrogs from Cape Breton Island"

If you can stomp through 3 feet of snow for 3 hours in only boots and jeans, you might be addicted!!

#6 stewy1

stewy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationStewiacke

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thank you Rottweiler . I looking forward to trying them too. I have always wanted to try frog legs and now after seeing the on Duck Dynasty and looking on youtube and seeing the receipes for them they look good. Ya know it looks like lots of fun to catch to. Thanks

#7 Fiere

Fiere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Rottweiler, I'm in Catalone as well. I don't know what site you pasted that from, but you're memory serves you.

Haven't seen the adultsyet this year, but the only frog with tadpoles big as your palm is a bull, and they're croak is unmistakable. Friends of mine have them in their pond as well, out by the gut. They certainly aren't numerous, but they are indeed here.

#8 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

I have quite a few Bulls around my place near Bridgewater. They are loud buggers, with bodies the size of a softball.

#9 CZ 452

CZ 452

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Locationspringhill

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

are they hard to clean?

#10 CZ 452

CZ 452

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Locationspringhill

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

and was also wondering how many u are aloud to keep

#11 copper jacket

copper jacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Locationsouth shore

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

I wish i found this thread earlier  , Bullfrogs  you wan`t bulls  shelburne got some brutes . let me tell ya places you would not beleave ,thousand acre bog,  10 thousand acre bog,  the dumpling sahvanna  to name a few. nothing but bog and little pockets of water as far as the eye can see.  take you all day to cross some of them with water up to your knees or higher.   Big bulls every were tell ya what just go near one of thos spots at dusk ,  and you will hear them  JUG-A-RUM   JUG-A-RUM  JUG-A-RUM    mating call in june     GOOD LUCK     JUG-A-RUM.

#12 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 17 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but it beats starting a new one on the same topic.  :-)

Has anyone ever actually hunted them in NS?  There are a couple of threads on here about wanting to, but I didn't see any mention of anyone doing it...?

The rules mention them twice, once with a season and the other to say you can't sell the meat.   Was this a big enough problem at one point that they had to put a stop to it?

It's something I don't know much about (other than catching them as kids - which I guess was technically not legal since they are a game animal...?)  ;-)

Rob

#13 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:00 PM

Ive been hunting for Jeremiah for yrs now.
HA HA JOY TO THE WORLD TIS THE SEASON
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#14 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:02 PM

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but it beats starting a new one on the same topic. :-)
Has anyone ever actually hunted them in NS? There are a couple of threads on here about wanting to, but I didn't see any mention of anyone doing it...?
The rules mention them twice, once with a season and the other to say you can't sell the meat. Was this a big enough problem at one point that they had to put a stop to it?
It's something I don't know much about (other than catching them as kids - which I guess was technically not legal since they are a game animal...?) ;-)
Rob

Yes and you probably shot song birds when you were a kid. You were one bad little boy
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#15 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

Ive been hunting for Jeremiah for yrs now.
HA HA JOY TO THE WORLD TIS THE SEASON

Now tripster, I I have to object because he "was a good friend of mine"!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#16 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:50 AM

Me too Ed...never understood a single word he said, but I helped him drink his wine  !!!!   cool.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#17 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:21 AM

Yes and you probably shot song birds when you were a kid. You were one bad little boy

Too true!   Many a squirrel fell to my little pellet gun when i was haunting the wilds around Chester as a kid.  :-)

I should be locked up by now.....  laugh.png laugh.png

#18 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9280 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

ya ever fill a bread bag with birds on Christmas day using a new break action Czech pellet rifle ...and the old Bulldog 177 Pellets  ph34r.png ..heard that rumor one time  ph34r.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:39 PM

ya ever fill a bread bag with birds on Christmas day using a new break action Czech pellet rifle ...and the old Bulldog 177 Pellets  ph34r.png ..heard that rumor one time  ph34r.png

Christ you are old tongue.png Bull dogs from kmart 3 for 1.44. The good old days. Yep one in the chamber and one in the barrel backwards to sound like a 22 biggrin.png biggrin.png and don't forget the daisy BB's for breaking bottles biggrin.png

mXVj72R.jpg

0yf0ypo.jpg

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

OMG I forgot the darts in case you got a shot at a crowbiggrin.png

Icly01i.jpg