#1 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

All the ingredients for this recipe are fairly easy to obtain with the exception of one…And it’s not hard to figure out which one that is…I was lucky, it only took me 15 years to obtain it…

Posted Image

Posted Image

TO ALL THE LONG TERM UNSUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS IN THE DRAW…I REALLY DO HOPE THAT YOU’LL BE ABLE TO MAKE THIS RECIPE IN 2013…!! GOOD LUCK…!!!

The recipe starts with the stages seen above...No game recipe will be successful if you don't tend to the meat from the start...

Being retired gives you plenty of time to fuss when you’re doing something that you enjoy…and I enjoy cooking… so I tend to fuss a lot more than is required. I mention this because I know that some people like the eating part a lot more than the cooking part and the quicker and easier it can go to plate the better it is for them. I’ll indicate some omissions that you can make in this recipe to save time without changing the results that much.

This is what I started with: roughly 20-25 lbs of Ribs

Posted Image

While this was thawing, I prepared a basic rub.

Posted Image

I poured this mixture over the ribs and worked it in real good….

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don’t normally use gloves…Clean hands are a cook’s best tool… but I’ve been working in cement the last few days and my hands have all kinds of abrasions…hence the gloves…

Once the rub was worked in well , I covered the ribs and placed them in the fridge over night…a few hours would have sufficed but it was late in the day and I was in no rush…

This is what they looked like the next morning...

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I had had just a pound or two, I would have seared these in the bottom of a Dutch oven but I had too much for that. So I preheated my oven to 450…oil up the ribs a bit and placed them one layer thick on trays in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes…

This is what they looked like coming out….
Posted Image

At this stage they're still basically raw and very tough. I poured 4 -5 cups of water over them and covered them up tightly with foil and placed them in the oven set at 350 for 11/2 to 2 hours. While they were simmering I prepared my BBQ Sauce.

#2 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is a very basic recipe for a BBQ sauce.

Posted Image

3-4 ONIONS, 3-4 GARLIC CLOVES, 2 CUPS KETCHUP, 2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR, 11/2 CUPS BALSAMIC VINEGAR, 1 TABLESPOON LIQUID SMOKE,
1/4 CUP MUSTARD, 3 SMALL TINS OF TOMATO PASTE

Blend all this together and put aside..

Remove the ribs that have been simmering in the oven...

Posted Image

Drain (and save) the broth...

Heat up the Sauce a bit just to make sure that the sugar is well dissolved...

Posted Image

And pour over the ribs......this is the first layer of ribs...another layer to follow and more sauce...

Posted Image

Before puttiing the ribs back into the oven I added several cups of the broth just to make sure that they stayed moist...I kept adding broth as I checked them over the next 2 to 3 hours...

Posted Image

Once they get fork tender..they're ready...

.Posted Image

Posted Image

I drained them and saved the sauce...I froze the ribs and the sauce separately. This way I can adjust the sauce when we reheat everything....

Posted Image

If you don't want to fuss as much as I do making these. Skip the rub. Just brown the ribs and parboiled ( for 11/2 hour) with garlic, onions, pepper, beef bouillon powder, etc.. Drain...use the broth as I did...to dilute the sauce and cook for 2-3 hours more. They will be almost as good...

#3 CAT COUNTRY

CAT COUNTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the recipe
Looks good

#4 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Looks good David. I'll try this recipe on some ribs I have from my NL hunt last year. Question: You say you freeze the ribs and sauce separately - was your 25-30 pounds of ribs originally frozen? So you would thaw the 25 lbs. of ribs do your thing and then re-freeze the ribs?

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#5 BUCK~KNIFE

BUCK~KNIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHuntin'And Fishin'

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

AWW MAN!,Ater tasting some of the creations you made,I can just imagine what those ribs will taste like,you should re-name yourself"MASTERCHEF" Looks like some good eating right there.
Kids who hunt,trap and fish don't grow up to mug little old ladies..

#6 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Looks good David. I'll try this recipe on some ribs I have from my NL hunt last year. Question: You say you freeze the ribs and sauce separately - was your 25-30 pounds of ribs originally frozen? So you would thaw the 25 lbs. of ribs do your thing and then re-freeze the ribs?

That's right Magoo1, Refreezing meat isn't a good practice if your dealing with raw meat. Each freezing process removes moisture. But, after cooking in a soupy sauce the meat tends to re-hydrate itself and refreezing doesn't harm it at all.

#7 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ok sounds good - I'll try your recipe.

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#8 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Although I wasn't in favour of you putting hockey comments on this site David i must give credit where credit is due. I definately believe you are an asset to this site with your willingness to share your cooking expertise and the hunting tips you have passed along to those less fortunate than your group. So I just want to say thank you for your kindness .. This site is a better place to visit because of you and your willingness to share, so kudo's to you Sir. I spend a lot of time each year in CB (having been born and raised there) perhaps we will meet in the highlands one of these days. Keep up the good work
say hello to Russell for me
c ya jw

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#9 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the kind words JWR. I'll let Russel know that you said Hi. It would be great if you could join us in the Highlands someday...We always have 2 or 3 musicians...Having another one would be all the more fun...

#10 Lorraine

Lorraine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

WOW! Those look outrageously good! If we have the good fortune of getting some moose meat this year I will definitely be trying these, will make a great meal for the boys at the camp. In the meantime, I am going to try it with some beef ribs, or pork. I as well like to spend a large amount of time in the kitchen, and these look like the effort is worth it, THANKS!!
Yes boys.....Girls hunt too!

#11 birdboy

birdboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Locationpictou

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

good post, Daivid G

#12 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

David G I think I will have to try your recipes.
Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#13 Chrisaveryman

Chrisaveryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

I tried this yesterday with last years deer ribs, amazing! Wife even liked them and said they were the best ribs I made yet! I can't wait to try them with Moose after my Oct 6 Hunt, thanks David G.

#14 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Location(Prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

That looks amazing!  I am going to give it a try (maybe with deer).

Thanks!

Rob

#15 ShannonSx

ShannonSx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

this recipe looks delicious!

#16 mcmasti

mcmasti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the recipe -- looks like a good one.  I'll be trying it on my friend's ribs (you know what I mean!) this weekend as part of our occasional wild game dinner.  I'll let you know how it turned out.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users