4 replies to this topic

#1 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

funny how things go....a bud phoned me the other day saying he needed to clean out his mom's big old deepfreeze. He wanted to know if i wanted any of it for a startup bear bait. So I said sure.
I met his Dad maybe 15 years ago, who, Im guessing was 70 odd at the time.
I liked him right off. I would often find myself at their camp on the banks of the St Marys river sharing strong tea and cookies with Wilson. Ive knocked on their camp door at midnight, looking for help tracking a bear! Within minutes...we were headed out. Of course, I was offered strong tea and cookies first.
I loved his old hunting stories, and more so, his fishing tales of mighty Atlantics back in the hayday. Good times!
While unwrapping all the stuff from deep down in the deepfreze.....I couldnt help but think of Wilson and his camp, strong tea, and cookies!
I unwrapped some frezer burned deer meat, many nice freezer burned trout, and at least one very old chunk of atlantic salmon.
I wanted one more cup of that strong tea in the worst way while sitting at his camps kitchen table, watching the river go by, listening to another story of the glory days.
And, as only a hunter or fisher would understand.....I feel that somehow, someway, it was not only proper, but was practically righteous to be sharing some of Wilson's catch from days when he was still with us and making that strong tea he liked to share so much, with a woodland creature such as a bear. 

I think he would have approved.....at least I hope....
Like ยท 

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Nice!

I never killed a buck with the shot I didn't take!

#3 BUCK~KNIFE

BUCK~KNIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHuntin'And Fishin'

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

You should really think about taking up writing as a hobby Roger,seriously.

Kids who hunt,trap and fish don't grow up to mug little old ladies..

#4 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

thanks bk, long before the interwb came along i did do some writing for EW&W, a monthly column for Maritime Sportsman, and  a few stories for Bowbender mag....could never crack that US gig tho....it was filled with folks who actually paid attention in English class lol!  and killed much bigger critters than Ive ever seen haha.

And now, since txting and forums etc.....i gorget how to spell, and wuts (see) worse....i dont even bother to correct  :) .

But ya know, I just read an article on hunting in Africa....and the way the dude penned it....it allowed my mind to roam and create my own mental picture....done right...writing is stil a powerful tool that can easily compete with video and pictures etc....

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#5 BUCK~KNIFE

BUCK~KNIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHuntin'And Fishin'

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

I foundn a few magazines that i buy quite often that are still worth reading,the rest of the so called hunting mags i don't bother looking at ,full of ads and pros promotingn the best new gear that you just gotta have,all about $$$$$$$

these mags are all about teaching you things.

American frontiersman

backwoodsman magazine

both excellent mags with good stories and tips!

Kids who hunt,trap and fish don't grow up to mug little old ladies..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users