11 replies to this topic

#1 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have an old laptop...its just about toast but i was on it today looking for a particular picture....didnt find the pic but found a bunch of old stories...some complete...some half done....I found this one, i have no idea if Ive posted it before or not....but i thought it was maybe posting again....its another tribute to my dad......and hunters in general....there were years I wrestled with why I hunt.....finally it just struck me....its just who I am....to try and squash it would be impossible .

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I may as well endeavor and catch the wind as attempt to put what hunting means to me in terms using sentences.

I have attempted this precise thing in the past, and felt I have always come up short somehow.

I’m told by certain learned folks that you can’t, or shouldn’t, remedy a question with a question. But it’s glaringly apparent they have never hunted. Never toiled over a buck deer. Never smelled the woods in autumn. Never had a muddy dog dead tired twitch and dream at their feet after a long day in the field. Heard the fall breezes rustle thru the brilliant autumn foliage. Stay out in times of turbulent weather when hoping, against all odds, that their quarry will make a misstep. Watched the woodlands come to life with the corresponding break of day.

I feel bad for those folks.

So why do we hunt? Why do waterfowl head south? Why do bears hibernate? Why do rabbits turn white? Why do salmon travel thousands of miles only to come back to the same river they were spawned in? Why do leaves turn in the fall?

The list could go on. Notwithstanding the methodical rationales the eggheads like to tell us, the undemanding answer is it’s nature. Magnificently in sync. A seamless rhythm of give and take. Balance. Equilibrium. Harsh and real.

A perfect wheel. And the only way I can suppose it….is that I (we) are just a part of that wheel…….a part of the balancing act. At times takers, at times givers.

I wish it was possible to ask a lab why he will retrieve all day. Or a beagle will run rabbits till its paws bleed. And just why does a pointer point? Whatever the reasons….I am content to simply say “ditto”- it’s who and what I am.

As many know…my father was my mentor, friend, and hunting buddy. The times I hunted with him and other family was gold. I have posted some of these thoughts in the past and I’ll refrain from reiterating them here again. I still hunt with him everyday in my heart and soul though.

I’m sure we made a thousand trips to camp….and yet I will always yearn for trip number 1000 and one. On our last trip to camp we ever shared, he killed a spike horn deer ( at age 81)….He was ashamed that he couldn’t drag it out because his legs were unsure and weak. I remember winking at him and saying “ quit your complaining ol feller, slide on over by that fine buck and get yer picture taken”

His big smile behind that little buck is how I will forever remember him with respect to our hunting together. It is ingrained in my mind and hunters heart. I didn’t know that was going to be our last hunt together or his last hunt forever. What I will for ever and a day be thankful for is that we knew the moment was golden right then and there …..we didn’t need hindsight or tragedy to realize it. And because of that hunting has enriched my life beyond words……I am lucky to be a hunter….it’s everything!

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#2 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Bea thamks for sharing your thoughts,I can tell by your posts how much hunting must mean to you and your love for not just the harvest but of the whole experience.i do not know you personally but am sure there is alot you could enlighten me about,your father as a mentor should be commended and you are very fortunate to be blessed by this.>AL

Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#3 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Bea thamks for sharing your thoughts,I can tell by your posts how much hunting must mean to you and your love for not just the harvest but of the whole experience.i do not know you personally but am sure there is alot you could enlighten me about,your father as a mentor should be commended and you are very fortunate to be blessed by this.>AL

2X you were blessed unfortunately I never got to go on a hunt with my dad his health didn't permit it and he died at 53 but his passion was past on and I often wondered why I hunted as hard as I did ? Your story explains partly the reason  why ! Thanks for sharing

#4 CAT COUNTRY

CAT COUNTRY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I got goosebumps reading,thanks for the share.

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have attempted this precise thing in the past, and felt I have always come up short somehow.

If you came up short, it wasn't by much.  Nice story.  I chuckled at myself today, 50 years old and hanging off the side of a tree 15 feet up while I worked on getting my tree stand attached.  If someone, besides another hunter, saw me they would have thought I was nuts up there in the rain.  But I was having fun and can't imagine doing anything else.  Gonna have to start using ground blinds for bears when I get older....trees are getting harder to climb.

Thanks for posting your story.

I never killed a buck with the shot I didn't take!

#6 CZ 452

CZ 452

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Locationspringhill

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

story defiantly hit home not just for me but I imagine a vast majority of this sites members thanx   

#7 fishoff

fishoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

If you came up short, it wasn't by much.  Nice story.  I chuckled at myself today, 50 years old and hanging off the side of a tree 15 feet up while I worked on getting my tree stand attached.  If someone, besides another hunter, saw me they would have thought I was nuts up there in the rain.  But I was having fun and can't imagine doing anything else.  Gonna have to start using ground blinds for bears when I get older....trees are getting harder to climb.

Thanks for posting your story.

Lol Kev., I've got nearly 7 yrs. on ya and I'll climb a tree in a heart beat to see if it fits'me arse and I can see what I think I wanna' see. White spruce have as many limbs as a porcupine it seems and can be tailored made to fit so your feet don't hang, if you know what I mean!

regards, ...

guns: the mis-informed see them as weapons, I see them as tools.

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Nice story bea, I didn't have anyone one in my family that had hunting interests but me, so its good to hear your story.

I am trying to instill a hunting lifestyle in my kids though.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#9 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

well ya know...hanging stands saturday morning i said this to my bud.....my next stand is gonna be one of them fancy aluminum lightweight jobs...these steel monsters are getting too heavy....

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#10 Haunted Hunter

Haunted Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationLockeport

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Nice story bea.

If a man speaks in the forest with no women around to hear, is he still wrong?

Choot 'em!....Troy Landry

#11 Gundog

Gundog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationHalifax Regional Municipality

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

Great post Bea.  My first hunt started with my father and we have shared more laughter to tears moments in the woods than anywhere else...moments I will treasure always. Great tribute! GD

#12 pound

pound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Locationqueens

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

nice story thank you. sure did bring memories.  I remember when I first went into the woods with my father at a very early age. he use to take me rabbit hunting. I remember I use to get so tired that he would carry me for aways to give me a rest. then it was also deer hunting at a later age and finally i was old enough to carry a gun and take a deer on my own. We hunted for many years together took a few deer and always found time to boil the kettle. He left to soon and now I am almost at that age. I did have a few years hunting with my son but he didn't like the hunting the way I did. like alot of young people he had to go west for work. I still bow and rifle hunt a little only from a blind can't climb trees anymore and travelling only a few hundred yards to my blind takes an effert. I know my days are numbered as far as hunting goes but I will go until I can't go anymore. Thanks to the friends I have if I am lucky enough to get a deer they will drag it out for me. thanks again bea, for the great story and for bring back memories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users