3 replies to this topic

#1 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

In 1966 this tall man came to our farm to dispatch a sick moose that had been wondering around our farm fields. His name was Donald Wood a conservation officer from the Oxford DNR.

Part of his job was going to schools showing films about wild life and conservation. I remember him well coming to my school. Being a larger friendly man , many off the students referred to him as "Gentle Ben".

He was a great influnce on me personaly. I began following a career path in forestry and had the privilege of working with him for 10 years. I often wish now I had kept a diary of some of the life events we shared. We had many good laughs . He had a dry sense of humor, and when he began to tell a story , it was laughter from the start to the finish, for all around.

Part of his job was looking after nusiance beaver dams. Many farmers and forestry people called him to remove dams .

25 years ago he had a tragic accident blowing one of those dams with dynamite.

I just came up from the basement bringing with me the contents of a little box that I have kept tucked away.

In 1969 I had writen a letter to Don , sending him $2.00 for for my first beaver licence. He sent me a nice note telling me the fur bearer trapping seasons, and stressing the importance of following the trapping regulations. He inclosed the regulations , which  have ----one page.

The other envelope states ---This envelope contains a rifle bullet which was recovered by G Fisher & Don Wood from a doe deer killed by jacklighters at Lower Wentworth , Cumb. Co. NS at approx 12.00 am Oct 4/81 .

If you read the above , and just happen to be the one, you hit that deer right behind the shoulder,and it went about 40 yds from the road. I will give you back our bullet if you would like to claim it.

Today they will be putting up a plague at theDNR office for Mr Wood.

When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#2 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I saw his name at the Wildlife Park as a Officer killed in the line of duty.

Did a little digging at the time and came across these

http://novascotia.ca...ouroll/wood.asp

http://novascotia.ca...?id=20090921001

http://canada.odmp.o...ood?printview=1

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#3 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Not to take anything from your post, hopefully perhaps add some info from long ago. You mentioned schools.  Down our way, back in the early 70’s , when the DNR as we know it now was called the Department of Lands and Forests was a gent whom would equate to a CO in this time period. He was a Game Warden with the Windsor Office. I recall all so well him coming to the schools with Land and Forests presentations. He kept the students very interested. His name was Mr. Levy. He is long since past, however to this day I remember him. I always wonder if the DNR was to  go from school to school with presentations, Wildlife, Hunting, Fishing , would it have any effect on the young wanting to get involved in these activities? Most parents do not promote outdoor activities, possibly DNR might well fill that gap?  Time sure has passed, some times I wish for the way it once was.
If this post is inappropriate, with your intents, please let me know. I will take it down.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#4 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

MWO its a great post . Those people laid the foundation work for our out door activities.

When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users