#1 Blade

Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCB

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Heard the cow was shot a few days ago and this picture of the bull was taken today in truro not sure how to add pics but ill leave the link to imgur
http://imgur.com/bRxta6s

#2 bubba682

bubba682

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

The old guys here say its bad luck for anybody that shoots a white moose or deer any one else ever hear that saying..

#3 Blade

Blade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCB

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

I've always heard the same thing

#4 Hnatiuk's

Hnatiuk's

Advertiser

• Hnatiuk's
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationLantz

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

1381979_695712430456283_18346805_n.jpg

1385571_695713227122870_1105668458_n.jpg

#5 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hnatiuk's,

Got any story to go with your pics ?

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#6 Hnatiuk's

Hnatiuk's

Advertiser

• Hnatiuk's
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationLantz

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Harvested in Belle Cote on Cape Breton Island by: 
Gary & Mark Drysdale and Albert D'Entremont of Hatchet Lake. 

3 Very happy happy happy hunters  :)   Once i get the full story of this awesome animal i'll be sure to post it.

#7 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Thanks, looking forward to the rest of the story. Hopefully more pics will follow, love to see some field ones.

#8 IBVFD

IBVFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Well I remember this time last year I posted a link via FB to show that we did have an albino moose in NS.  It was seen several times and even KPR wasnt too sure of its authinic or not.  I guess it was real.  I knew the location but I refused to give out any details.

Lets just say there are a few upset ppl around the around the area.

#9 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hey now Owen.... :P ..I believed you enough to go try and get pics of it. B)

Had to look up the location but as soon as I saw it...I knew.

I agree there will be many very upset/disappointed people in the area.

When I was there and asking around for more info...I got NONE until people realized I was there alone and for PICS ONLY.

With a once in a lifetime tag,I'm not too sure I would take that one...just me I guess.

#10 deadeyes

deadeyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Locationamherst

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

nice/rare trophy, but why would anyone shoot it. I do not hunt moose or apply for a tag but if I did and saw that I would be taking pictures and letting it walk. but to each his own. losing an animal like that from the population was a screw up by the dnr. it should have been on the protected list with the mainland moose.

#11 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

As weird as this sounds to me and going against what I would do normally,I think i would harvest this animal since I probably would never get to hunt CB again,just sayin and thinkin.Very nice moose though!
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#12 CanadianGoldenEagle

CanadianGoldenEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

nice/rare trophy, but why would anyone shoot it. I do not hunt moose or apply for a tag but if I did and saw that I would be taking pictures and letting it walk. but to each his own. losing an animal like that from the population was a screw up by the dnr. it should have been on the protected list with the mainland moose.

There is that DE but you also need to think about the genetic mutations that could have come from this albino breeding.  We'd end up with piebald moose and then possibly other moose that were more susceptible to illnesses.  It is a shame for it to have been taken although I am glad it was taken by some people from NS, not non-resident hunters, and the gene pool was 'purified' slightly.

Moose have been known to catch CWD, along with Whitetail, so removing any abnormality from the herd will increase the chances of survival for the others.

All thoughts and comments are purely my own and I don't apologize for any of them.

#13 slinkey

slinkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

There,s actuly been more than just one white moose up in this area over the last couple of years.Kpr i,m not 100 percent sure but i think the ones you got picks of is one they found dead in the woods.A buddy i know that works for the dnr told me there was actully 1 found dead and one that had to be shot in the same year 1 cow and 1 bull if i remember right.Both of witch had disease,s.It seems to be there is a albino gene in the moose in this area.

#14 Duck Slammer

Duck Slammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMargaree Valley

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I know of several different spots with white moose...

#15 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

id shoot it if i had the chance i think.....i can understand tho how local folks might see it as a big loss

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#16 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

It was sort of unique, but a moose is a moose and the boys had a moose license.  Probably not a good idea biologically speaking to be protecting albinos..I'm sure it will taste the same.  That being said, not sure if I could shoot him.....might depend how far into the hunt I was  :rolleyes:

I never killed a buck with the shot I didn't take!

#17 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

you also need to think about the genetic mutations that could have come from this albino breeding.  

Probably not a good idea biologically speaking to be protecting albinos..

Think about those posts.

Don't forget that albinos are supposed to be, genetically speaking, inferior and probally should be removed.

Myself, I would take in a heartbeat as hard as I hear it is to get a moose license. Not passing on all that meat. 

#18 Standrewshunter

Standrewshunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

Well If am lucky enough to see one of those in a couple of weeks I think the camera will be the only thing shooting. I would waste the tag before I would tag an albino. JMO

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12317 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

The old guys here say its bad luck for anybody that shoots a white moose or deer any one else ever hear that saying..

Growing up we had a period where we had a couple white deer on our property and we were all told to leave it be and never kill or take it back to the farm.

It was seen as a sacred animal to our native friends so out of respect for their beliefs we did just that. Also it was known by the old folks that these animals did indeed not live in the wild very long since most if not all carried diseases as discussed here, some diseases which could be transfered to the farm animals and even humans pending what was present. So eating it was out of the question.

Some here say I am not educated but I do remember some of these old words posted in detail by the cdn gov many years ago associated with humans handling and eating wildlife probally a lot more today

Anisakiasis

Anthrax

Chronic Wasting Disease

Diphyllobothriasis

Giant Liver Fluke

Hydatid Disease

Leptospirosis

Moose Measles

Orf

Papillomas (warts)

Plague

Rabies

Ringworm

Sarcocystis

Sarcoptic Mange

Seroma (hydrocyst)

Trichinellosis

Tuberculosis

Tularemia

So why shoot it?? to Upset locals, natives etc prove you are a big man moose hunter I don't know today how some think. Not that hard to find another brown one in CB to shoot .All that meat?? Have to be nuts to eat it unless it is tested knowing they are proven disease carriers and what could be present especially knowing the DNR have taken two out of this area for having diseases

But then again I have seen some here eat old road kill so fill your boots

As one native friend said to me yesterday so many have had this moose in their sites and knew about it over the last few years but left it alone, we figured a poacher would take it to sell the mount not a hunter for meat. He told me about some like this being spotted in Ontario some years back and in 2005 they were protected by the government since they were so rare. Too bad NS didnot do the same

All I know is there is no positive to this story and only a black eye for NS hunters once it gets out and I for one would not want my name or pic posted for the world to see as the one killing it. 

I hope the old curse proves to be true or as my native friend said he chokes on it

Being legal is one thing but it is no justification for being stupid

Many true NS moose hunters could have shot him before but selected the KPR way which I and the majority of hunters would agree with but unfortunately all it takes is one sad excuse of a hunter with a gun.. 

He was known by many and worth a lot more to NS alive than dead too bad the DNR didnot see that and protect them. There is a gene pool that needs to be cleaned up in this province for sure but it is not moose or wild animals.

margareemoose_zps01016a0b.jpg

#20 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5206 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well for most of us,this could very well be a situation  or opportunity to take your first and only  NS moose so it would be a tough call.Having said that,there also a few who could just say....Ah hell,let him walk,there's always next year!

Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users