#1 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

A fresh new begining on the new site. Where do I start? At some point I will go back and provide a written and pictorial history of the 50 plus years of Cedar Grove Camp. Prior to the old site going off line I was scanning alot of old pictures to my computer to do a complete history(I continue to do this). For those that have seen the Cedar Grove Camp log book , you will know what I mean. But for now it's about the here and now and a look toward the future. The present Cedar grove Camp was built in 2000 (on 120 acresof land) and my first real attempt at food plots was 2002, although I had the "Camp Plot" cleared in 2001. The "East" and "West Plots" were created in 2006. Next to my family, buying the land, building the new camp and learning about food plots has been the most incredible thing in my life. First , a couple of old pictures to start things off, and then to the present. >Pete

Cedar Grove Camp

Posted Image

120 Acres of Paradise

Posted Image

Camp Plot

Posted Image

East Plot

Posted Image

West plot

Posted Image

Summer Bucks

Posted Image

"THE PHANTOM"

Posted Image

One of My favorite Camp Plot Bucks

Posted Image

One of My Favorite West Plot Bucks 2009

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#2 Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBear River, Nova Scotia

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

I've been waiting for this thread to start again.... good to see ya back Pete!

#3 FOXTROTTER

FOXTROTTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationnorth nova scotia

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Nice pics again Pete..looking foward to many more stories and pics..good to
see all your hard work pay..

#4 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

I'm with these guys Pete. Looking very forward to many evenings of reading your Cedar Grove Camp posts.
If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

AHHHHHhhhhhhh!!...just like a junkie......I NOW got my fix!...hahaha...Thankx Pete!
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 Northfieldhunter

Northfieldhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthfield, Lunenburg County

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Awesome Pete just wasnt the same without Cedar Grove thred on here
Northfield

#7 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

nice camp!
i expect more work in progress now that ya got that new tractor
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#8 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

I couldn't help it, a few more old photos from last season(2009).>Pete

The Gang

Posted Image

Me, My Dad, and my two boys

Posted Image

Me and my Dad

Posted Image

Deer from last year

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#9 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Since alot of this tread has to do with the experimentation I have done over the last 8-9 years with food plots, I'm proud to have been able to document a history for some of the bucks that have called the plots home. For those familar with the old site , most of the work on the plots was my own manual labor. Here is the history of the 12 pt I took last year. I'm not sure if he was a 1.5 year old when I first saw him, or whether he was a 2.5 year old in 2005. He was very nocturnal. It would make him a 5.5 year old or 6.5 year old when I was lucky enough to see him in the daylight. See the pics from 2005 to 2009. >Pete

2005 West Plot

Posted Image

2006 East Plot

Posted Image

2007 West Plot

Posted Image
Posted Image

2008 West plot

Posted Image
Posted Image

2009 West Plot

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

The winter of 2008-2009 was extreme at Cedar Grove Camp. The snow came early and stayed late. It was at least 3-4 feet deep in the woods. Also, there seemed to be a spike in the coyote population. Obviously this made it hard on the deer. In the spring of 2009 I was able to identifie two pregnant does. I kept my trail cams out as I was hoping to get photos of new born fawns. Every evening I spent at the camp I could hear the coyotes howeling. By fall the two does were still around, BUT THEY HAD NO FAWNS! There are 5 regulars at the camp and during the 2009 season, we did not see one fawn!! Also, there was a severe shortage does. As strange as this may be, there seemed to be a healthy number of bucks.During the 2008 season I was able to identifie 13 different bucks at the plots. Also, I was able to indentifie 7 different does. This was an all time high since I created the plots and started keeping records. The plots had been great for the deer population. We took three of those bucks during the 2008 season. During the fall of 2009, I was able to identifie 11 bucks that visited the plots and only 2 does. A significant drop from 2008. Plus I shot one big buck. Therefore we went into the winter of 2009-2010 with 10 bucks and 2 does. Fortunately the winter was easy on the deer as they fed(pawed for the clover) at the plots into late Feb and there was not much snow. Since the coyotes had already cleaned up all the rabbits I think the winter has reduced the coyote population. There is certainly less sign of them around. See the pics of the remaining 2009 plot deer and coyote pack. >Pete

Coyote Pack (5)

Posted Image

Plot Deer (10) These pictures were taken at the plots and my bow stand I call the "Inbetween" as it is inbetween the Camp Plot a the East/West Plots.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

OOOPS !!I posted more pics than I'm allowd to in my last post. Here are the last two pics(9 and 10).>Pete

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 10point

10point

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationdartmouth

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

Good to see you back Pete. Missed reading the thread. I hear you have a new tractor. Lets see a pic or two. Lots of ground will be torn up now. Good luck with it and keep up the good work.

10point

#13 Turkeyhunter

Turkeyhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Looks great Pete, how are the plots coming along.

#14 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2449 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

Coyote Pack (5)

Posted Image

Sheesh... :o
...and to think the DNR STILL claims that coyotes DON'T pack !! :rolleyes:

I guess they aren't coyotes !!! :blink:

By now, Pete, 'Cedar Grove' has to be Atlantic Canada's most famous hunting camp !
It IS an awesome spot ! ;)

Bob

Your True 'Ethics'...are what you do when you think no one sees you.

#15 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

Great stuff seeing this thread back Pete.

OOOPS !!I posted more pics than I'm allowed to in my last post. Here are the last two pics(9 and 10).>Pete

Hmmm...maybe thats what was messin me up re-posting oldies lastnight...I "thought" the limit was ten...
Got me a couple times it did :angry:

#16 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Well it's time to get started with posting the present---2010. These four guys spent almost the entire winter in the East and West plots. Even after the final apples were gone they dug up the clover. One of the spike bucks lost his antler early. The other lost theirs in mid to late Jan. The ten point is going to be a nice deer this fall. My records(photo record) indicates he will be 5.5 or 6.5 years old.>Pete

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 reknat

reknat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

Pete, could you refresh my memory on what you plant in the plots other than clover and how late in the year can you wait to plant it?

thanks, reknat

#18 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Reknat,The only other thing I usually plant is forage rape(a form of brassica). I have planted as late as July, and although there is sufficent growing time you have to worry about rain. If it makes it through a potential dry peroid, then the rains of late Sept usually bring it back.>Pete

#19 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

A few more Jan deer pics. The 8pt lost his antlers on Jan 12-13. The 10pt lost his antlers from Jan 17-19. One spike lost his antlers in early Jan , while the other spike was the winner, he lost his antlers last on Jan 19-21.>Pete

8pt

Posted Image
Posted Image

10pt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Spike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

nice pics!
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users