#2401 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

Good to see the fawns around, saw one about that size yesterday myself.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#2402 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

that the same one you figure Pete ?

Kevin, I'm pretty sure its a different one. I thought the bigger doe at the plots may have twins as she was big enough. Pictures now seem to confirm that .....whooo hoooo....>Pete

AhG8OEk.jpg

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#2403 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:23 AM

cool.png cool.png cool.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#2404 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

Some good deer action at this backwoods licking branch/ rut. But, not a lot of deer movement in this HOT weather. The brats were back for a quick visit, but no food..lol. >Pete

Gsro3ng.jpg
gy7HmG5.jpg
mlU2Fwo.jpg
sDdPtXV.jpg
NiuI24h.jpg
DFSf9AL.jpg
yV7Obpj.jpg

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#2405 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

They are growing like weeds :)

#2406 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:35 AM

So did they destroy anything this time?

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#2407 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

HA - I just posted some licking branch action on FB earlier.

pretty cool they will use them pretty well year round. looks busy at Pete's plots - lookin good!

#2408 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

So did they destroy anything this time?

Yes, they were back in the small apple tree and broke off another branch. Then they climbed another tree and ate a bunch of the small apples that were growing. I guess I should have just left them some food. 

So dry around the camp ! Very little deer movement in this hot dry weather. I expect the deer are close to water sources and cool shaded (heavy canopy) areas.            >Pete

3dF7IrD.jpg
7k7KJ8Q.jpg
WgyEmbs.jpg
7DLRGS6.jpg

#2409 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

Whoooo Hooooo.....New Brunswick Moose Hunt 2020. Great hunt. More pictures and the story to follow. >Pete

WUuQyxC.jpg

#2410 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

Wow...congrats Pete & crew !!!...BTW...Thanks for that pic Pete......Alex Trebek's theme song has been pounding in my head....ALLLLLLL FRIKKEN DAYYYYY now tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#2411 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

Congrats Pete. Nice to see especially in NB. Non resident tag by any chance

Cheers

#2412 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

Congrats Pete but no sense deer hunting now with all that moose meat!
I’ll send Leroy and Eddy over to hunt the plots,lol.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#2413 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:16 AM

Sorry, I'm a little late posting this. Well, it is hunting season though......lol. New Brunswick Moose Hunt 2020. This is the narrative for the movie below. Its only 3.5 mins but worth the watch. First , I just have to say that we are pretty proud of ourselves ! Kendal (life long hunting buddy) was on the waiting list for a non residence license. He got it late and we had to plan a “hurry up” trip. We went to a zone with the fewest moose tags and the lowest success rate and killed a nice bull the first morning of the season. Our only advantage was that we are familiar with the zone and knew of several places that may hold a moose. Also, as most hunters know, all hunting trips have a little luck involved.

We arrived at Ron’s camp (another life long hunting buddy) on Sunday afternoon. We got the camp set up and immediately started scouting for moose sign or to actually see a moose. Since it has been so dry we checked a few water spots first. Not much sign ?? That evening we made a few calls, but no answers. Back to the camp for a late supper of Ron’s famous moose stew and apple pie. Plus several social-a-bulls....lol. We had big plans for scouting on Monday. But first we had perked coffee and an early breakfast of eggs benedict , of course prepared by Chef Ron. Tres bon !

On Monday we put 50 plus miles on the bikes checking out potential hunting spots. Plus we wanted to know the location of any other potential hunters. There didn’t seem to be many other hunters around. That was good, but we were disappointed by the lack of fresh sign, but that could be partly due to the very dry conditions. One of our last places to check was a place where we had killed a nice bull a few years before. There seemed to be some fresh tracks, but most of all there were some fresh rakings. A bull had raked several trees along an old road. Also, he had been in the area for some time as we found dried velvet on the ground at one of the older rakings. We all felt this may be our best bet for opening morning. It was located about a 30 min truck drive from the camp. We scented the trees and area heavily and left. We did check a few other locations, but that spot would be our opening morning hunt.

A few social-a- bulls late that afternoon at the camp and then moose fajitas for supper. We did drive to a couple of open choppings that evening and made a few calls, but again no answers. Finally, opening morning. Perked coffee and a snack and off we went. Lunches packed as we planned to stay out the entire day.....no breaks. We arrived well before daylight/legal shooting and parked some distance from where we intended to call and hunt from. We waited for good daylight before slowly walking into our spot. Plus, there was a couple of open areas/choppings to check just in case we might see a moose. No luck.

We arrived at the old road/entrance into the area we had scented and intended to hunt. There was fresh **** and sign from overnight ! Very slowly we walked in the old road when suddenly we could hear a cow calling and a bull grunting. As we rounded a turn in the road, a nice bull moose was standing almost broadside where we had scented. The bull was 30-40 yds away. I saw Kendall shoulder his rifle. With a little maneuvering he was able to get a great broad side shot. Awesome to hear the 300 mag roar and then the smell of gun powder. The moose took off and into an old chopping. Kendall and Ron ran up to where it entered the chopping and it was standing about 40 yds in. A second shot and down he went. Whoooo Hooooo !!! Ron indicated that the bull was wobbly before the second shot and after field dressing, it was clear both shots were killing shots.

That awesome musky smell of the bull was in the air. The bull was about 40 yds from the road. We were able to get the truck/trailor/bike to this location and winched the bull onto the trailor. The bull was shot at 7:05am and at the meat processor at 11:45am ! Gotta like that ! Back to the Camp before the arrival of the wind and rain of Hurricane Teddy. Traditional shots and a lot of conversation about our incredible hunt and the usual discussion of past hunts etc. Moose spaghetti for supper. During the wind and rain of Wed morning, fresh moose tenderloin and eggs for breakfast. More great meals on Wed and on Thur morning. Thanks Ron !! We headed home Thur morning. You gotta like that !!

#2414 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

WOW  !!! That photo montage you did Pete pretty well sits you at the table and bloodies your hands field dressing that bull !!  Well done guys !!

...ps...Ron looks great !!

#2415 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

What a great account of your hunt...!! It makes you feel like you want to be there. Amazing meals...!!! And a nice looking bull to boot.

We had 2 licenses for CB. Ended up filling one tag with a young yearling bull. Incredibly warm and windy..!! Good camping weather but not so good for hunting. Still waiting for some of the guys pics.   

#2416 DAKOTA

DAKOTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:42 PM

Pete, Congratulations!  Way to get her done! Awesome story. Thank-you for sharing.    Dakota

#2417 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:17 AM

looks like a great time, there Pete - congrats to you guys!

#2418 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

Great pictures Pete, looks like a great hunt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users