KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Cool on the antler info Pete.
The buck (8pt) we watched shake his off was on Jan 11 at lunchtime.
Quite a cool snap that week it was.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

One thing that continues to amaze me about my interest in deer is "shed hunting". I have spent many hours at it and found very few. The last ones I found were in the East Plot in 2006. I had several bucks around the plots last fall and I kept my trail cams out to try and assist my shed hunting. I knew the deer where not traveling far from the plots, but as hard as I looked along the trails in the snow and their bedding areas, I didn't find one shed in the woods. The only shed I did find was in the West Plot and about 50 feet from where the apples were. It was from the 10pt. Whats really interesting, is that the 10pt has alot of similarities to the 12pt I took last year. He could be alot like the 12pt by this fall. There is a good chance he made it through the winter, so I can hardly wait.>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#23 DAKOTA

DAKOTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Great stories & pics pete, Keep em comming. Soooooooooooooooo nice to have this site back on line.

#24 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

The camp is 10 years old this year. Fortunately it is constructed of white cedar which is naturally rot and bug resistant. While waiting for the plots to dry out this spring I put a nice fresh coat of stain on the camp. I noticed last fall that it was starting to look really weathered. By this spring it was really evident that it needed to be stained. It really turned out nice. See the before and after pics.>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#25 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

lookn good!
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#26 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

Pssssst....ya missed a spot :P

:lol:

Lookin' good Pete.

#27 10point

10point

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationdartmouth

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

beautiful Pete, absolutely beautiful

#28 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

It's time to talk about the 2010 plots. I have done alot of work so far this year and I have alot of info to post. However, one very significant event has to be mentioned first. I GOT A TRACTOR!!!! I gotta tell ya, it's AWESOME!! It took me ten years to pay for the camp, and since I have to keep working to earn a living, I figured I should be paying for something. Also , I'm not getting any younger and 5 acres of plots is ALOT OF WORK. Plus my 96 polaris 500 needs a rest. The tractor wasn't much more than a big bike, but when you add a few attachments on it does starts to add up.

The tractor is a Kabota 30hp diesel, 2X4-4X4, hydralic front loader, locking rear differential, front and rear power take offs, and hydralic 3pt rear hitch. It's not a big tractor, but it has all the power I need. In addition to the loader, I got a disc, broadcast spreader, and they threw in the rear ballast box. I have never driven or operated a tractor in my life. It's been a real learning experience. I learn something new about operating the tractor or the use of the attachments every time I use it. See pics.>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8982 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

NO MORE PICK AND SHOVEL :lol: :lol: ..Yer next purchase is gonna have to be a "Leather Vest"..."SNOOT BOOTS" and a Harley DUDE RAG!!LMAO. :lol: .Cuzzzzz.. B) .You're Gonna be riding in style now Ol boy!!. B) ..
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#30 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

What??

Ya puttin that shiny new tractor away DIRTY!!!
I think we need to take up a NSH collection to buy Pete a hose...

Pssst KEVIN...if ya hit "edit" and back the img links out of the quote the pics won't be doubled...;)
Thats a highspeed ok but not dialup friendly in a somewhat pic heavy thread ol buddy.

#31 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

KPR, No such thing as "running water" or a hose at the camp. It only gets that treatment at home. But, there is still the old "well and Bucket" and cleaning treatment. Nice and clean.>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

Pete, hosta's are a big hit with the deer in my parts....do they leave your's alone?

#33 Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBear River, Nova Scotia

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

camp looks great Pete! If ya come down to bear day this year...bring the tractor with ya:lol:

#34 10point

10point

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationdartmouth

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Lookin good Pete,,Now thats a tractor,,nice piece of equipment,,Hants county is not safe now lol,,Looking forward to seeing some new plots going in,,How much you charge an hr,,lol,,

#35 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

A few working pictures. >Pete

Camp Plot

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bottom of the West Plot

Posted Image
Posted Image

Top of the West Plot. I left the clover in the middle of the West Plot as it was growing well and the deer were tending it.

Posted Image

East Plot

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8982 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Pssst KEVIN...if ya hit "edit" and back the img links out of the quote the pics won't be doubled...
Thats a highspeed ok but not dialup friendly in a somewhat pic heavy thread ol buddy.

Kayyyyyyyyyy.......hope their not worried about too many pics already... :rolleyes: .....sites just gettin started ;)
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#37 Camel

Camel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Man I love following your camp thread pete!!!I see all your work is really paying off in some nice and healthy deer.That kubota will make things alot easier on ya eh!!you tryin anything different in your plantings this season?keep us posted.

#38 WrenchBender

WrenchBender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Nice little tractor Pete...
The camp is looking great... I hope to have my own someday, until then , I will enjoy
reading about yours :P

#39 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hey Markus, no problems with the hostas. Probably to close to the camp. Not even the rabbits, the coyotes got them all.

Camel, I've planted clover and forage rape(brassica). I still have part of the West plot to do. I have some Rack Stacker products to try(Thanks Bob AKA Foodplotter).

Time to lime, plus a chance to use another one of the attachments.>Pete

Power take off and Spreader

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ran the disc over it.
Posted Image

East Plot

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Camp Plot

Posted Image

#40 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Pete just out of curiosity how long would have all this taken with the buggy vs the tractor and would you have done as much this year?

Well + bucket??
I vote we get Pete a hand pump for his well and a hose at least.

hope their not worried about too many pics already... :rolleyes: .....sites just gettin started ;)

Nope "their" not,just me this week on dialup...sooo unlike me to complain any ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users