#42 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

WrenchBender, Is there such a thing? Probably be a good rig. However, (bucket and well)I like the simple things about the camp.

KPR, Lets put it this way, I've got 61 hours on the tractor alone. I should have got a plow to turn the plots, but the only one worth getting would probably be to big for my tractor. Plus, I only had so much $$. I decided on the disc because it can be adjusted to be aggressive and will work for tearing up the sod , but it takes longer than a plow(several passes). Also, it can be adjusted to lightly disc the soil to smooth it out or to cover seed.

It's no contest between the bike and the tractor. The tractor is slow but steady and has the power. You don't even know the disc is there. The bike and disc is good for small plots, but I could never have done as much as I have with only the bike. It would have taken me a lonnnnnng time to do the plots with just the bike. You have to remember that initially the plots were cleared by an excavator, so I only had to disc open soil rather than tear up established sod. With the bike, I disced some of the plots each year to keep fresh seed growing. I probably could have gotten someone with a tractor to turn the plots and then I could have used the bike, but it still would have been alot more work(but it could be done as I did the East/West plots in 2006). With the tractor I'm free to do anything I want to from year to year. Also it will come in handy for alot of things at the camp(woodlot etc).

My new disc has 16 disc vs the bike disc that had 8 disc. Also, the new disc weighs 600lbs vs 300lbs for the bike disc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#43 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8982 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

You prolly have to raise the bucket over the Rangers cab just to get it on the back eh Pete?. ;) ;) .hahahaha....Looks like it'll be a big and welcome change for you. :D bet that sukka will push lots of snow too!! :lol: :lol:
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#44 BUCK~KNIFE

BUCK~KNIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHuntin'And Fishin'

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

One of the best threads ever read on a hunting website,thanks for sharing PETE!I don't recall seeing the big 12 mount yet???

I will make a prediction around the start of bow season for ya,you know how good I am predictiing things Pete.LOL.

I can't wait to see the camp pole pics this fall!
Kids who hunt,trap and fish don't grow up to mug little old ladies..

#45 Tokala

Tokala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Awsome Pete !!!! Great to see your thread again!!!! I like the pic of the three generations I have one of me my Dad and my grandfather last year when I got my first bear I hope to put it up in my camp one day!!!! Great thread keep em comin!!!
"We are a part of nature and not above it" - Grey Owl

#46 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Hey Guys, Thanks for the comments. BK, I believe your predictions. Funny you should ask about the 12pt,.... I JUST PICKED IT UP TODAY!! Pics to follow. I will certainly be paying attention to your prediction for bow season.

I planted the bottom of the West plot with clover(mixture of red 55%, alsike 30% and yellow 15%) during the evening of May 12 2010. I planted a small patch of forage rape at the top of the West plot. I have left the old clover in the centre of the West plot for the time being. I planted the East Plot on May 14 2010. The top half is forage rape and the bottom half is clover(mixture of red 55%, alsike 30% and yellow 15%). It was dry at the time, but we had a nice rainfall just after that. I checked a week later and could see the seeds were germinating. I checked them on May 25 2010 and both the rape and clover seem to be growing well. See pics.>Pete

East Plot

Posted Image

Forage Rape Growth

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Clover Growth

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Caught these two at the bottom of the Camp Plot

Posted Image

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#47 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Growth of the forage rape and clover on June 8 2010. Note that the rape is growing up, while the clover is really laying down roots!>Pete

Forage Rape

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clover

Posted Image

Posted Image

The deer seem to be eating it already.

Posted Image

I'm still alittle disappointed, because wherever you see deer tracks, you see THESE TRACKS!! Death to coyotes, the rabbits are all gone, I hope they don't get this years fawns!!

Posted Image

#48 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

I picked up my deer head yesterday. I was on my way to the camp, so I put it up to take a few pics before I took it home. It turned out really nice.>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 BUCK~KNIFE

BUCK~KNIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHuntin'And Fishin'

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

WOW,Thats what I like to call a "HOG DADDY"LOL...Beautifull buck PETE,Who does your mounts?very nice,looks perfect right there on that wall..
Kids who hunt,trap and fish don't grow up to mug little old ladies..

#50 redgreen

redgreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

Looks like a good coating oflime. the rasses will really take off now. how much lime did you use and what was the cost, bulk or bags

#51 Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBear River, Nova Scotia

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

great looking mount Pete! Maybe you mentioned it before and I missed it, but, did you ever score the rack?

#52 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

That mount turned out great Pete. It'll be the centerpiece of conversation for seasons to come!

#53 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

beauty...what a honker!
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#54 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

I brought the head home and put it up in my office at home(Deb calls it "The Shrine"). These are all my special "Boys", both Bow and rifle. >Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE "OTHER BOYS"

Posted Image

Sheds on top of my Rifle/Bow case

Posted Image

This Bow kill got bumped from the wall and gets to go to the Camp. Lucky guy.

Posted Image

#55 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

I stayed at the Camp Thur evening and did some work. I'm glad we had a few days of sun as my plots are really wet. They are mostly a clay type soil and do not drain well. I think the growth of the rape and clover has been stunted by all the rain we got around the camp. >Pete

This was early Fri morning before I came back into town to ....work. You can see the Camp plot is wet. However the clover is set and with some sun should grow pretty good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My East Plot is half rape and half clover. You can see the defined line of rape and clover in this pic.

Posted Image

This is the bottom of the West plot. You can see it is still wet. However the clover is growing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the middle of the West Plot. Ordinarily I would have cut it by now. You can see that the rye grass is growing better than the old clover. It is evident the clover needs to be renewed(5 years old).I will be discing this soon and trying some of the Rack Stacker Seed I got from Foodplotter.

Posted Image

#56 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

beauty...what a honker!

NO...no...NO, Roger... <_<

'Honkers' are geese !!! :rolleyes:

Sheeshh...does I gots ta tell ya ever'thin'?!?... :P

Bob :lol: :lol:

Your True 'Ethics'...are what you do when you think no one sees you.

#57 Food Plotter

Food Plotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1085 posts
  • Locationporters lake

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Pete thats a great looking buck congrats again.

Bob kinda reminds me of Elliot before he matured.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#58 Northfieldhunter

Northfieldhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthfield, Lunenburg County

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Congrats on the tractor pete, will make your life alot easier. That mount looks awesome who did it for you?
Northfield

#59 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

NO...no...NO, Roger... <_<

'Honkers' are geese !!! :rolleyes:

Sheeshh...does I gots ta tell ya ever'thin'?!?... :P

Bob :lol: :lol:

jeesh...what was i thinking sorry....i mean what a hog! :D
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#60 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have try minerals in the past with no luck...nothing, nadda, zippo. I got a Rack Stacker Fountain through Foodplotter/Younguns Seeds to try. There are virtually no bears around the camp this year...no sign at all! There have been a few around in the past, but I baited allllll last year without even a sniff. It will be interesting to see if the Fountainit works for the Cedar Grove Camp deer or even a bear. I did put it in an area where deer usually pass through. As the instruction suggest, I cleaned out around the tree and spread some at the base. I also wet the tree and rubbed some on. I put up my cam and tested it. Now we wait and see. I'm excited as a kid at christmas!!>Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users