#1 Camel

Camel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

http://www.qdma.com/...nters-like-them

I would like to know why APR's wouldn't work here in NS BUT most of all why some hunters wouldn't want them here.

I know this has been a topic before but I believe alot of hunters don't know the real reasons to implement APR's and what benefits they have for the overall deer herd.Which then leads to better hunting for hunters.

No before some weigh in on this I ask you to put the binders on with answers like this isn't Michigan or other US states,we all know that.Also the excuse that you don't want someone telling which deer you can and can't shoot.Look at what it can and will do for our NS deer herd.Some say we have a healthy deer herd in areas.How healthy is it really??

#2 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

APR s in N.S. ofcourse the effect would on the surface appear to help the herd but having said that the implications maybe far reaching in terms of hunter participation aswell.I realize with our long and multiple discplined season that perhaps the opportunity to harvest a mature buck is there ,but for the most part i can see alot of disintrest in this as most are more concerned about the success of the moment ,not nessarilly down the road and a few seasons.I ve been fortunate through the years to be able to harvest many mature bucks so it can be a little easier for me to be patient or not,but to the newbies it could be a back breaker and thus we begin to loose what is important for us all is the new hunters coming up.

Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#3 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

APR's would increase the trophy deer quality for sure, but NS doesnt manage this resource that way...much like the fishing, catch and release/slot sizes arent part of the management plan.  Just shorter/longer seasons and bag limits.

APR's a good way to grow numbers in my opinion as well.  Are we in need of more deer in NS?  In areas yes, but it seems our dnr struggles with micro managing regions and like to use a master management plan for the whole province.  Provincially, deer numbers arent in bad shape.

I dont think we'll see apr's here.  On a personal note, I'd love to see one applied to certain zones and see how it goes.

#4 Camel

Camel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

How many times have we all read in Petes Cedar grove post " man I would love to come hunt there Pete" WHY???Cause thats QDM at work in NS.Look at the age structure of the deer Pete post pictures of.Didn't take long for benefits to show either.Yes QDM will produce more trophy quality bucks but thats not its main purpose.The main purpose is producing a better age structure to a deer herd,which in turn produces more mature(trophy) deer.Which in turn produces a healthier deer herd as well.

It would take one season of passing young bucks to see a benefit from APR's.By the second season you will forget about the year before.

If provincially numbers aren't in bad shape then why don't we see a pop. increase from year to year instead of a fairly steady estimate or decrease estimate lately?I think more effort should be put into micro managing zones as well.I also don't think we'll see APR's here but really believe our deer would benefit as would hunters.I'm all for it province wide,and if only certain zones I'll nominate my zone first please.

#5 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

How many times have we all read in Petes Cedar grove post " man I would love to come hunt there Pete" WHY???.

I dont think there's a hunter in the province that wouldnt love to hunt there.  But 90% of those hunters would be just as pleased to shoot a doe or fork buck too.  "Getting a deer" is by far the prime objective to most NS hunters....and there's nothing wrong with that.  Our current management system is geared towards that.

#6 Camel

Camel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

The way I see it is APR's would for one thing increase the overall number of bucks in the herd therefore giving your 90% of hunters more chances at harvesting a buck.Would they not? 

Our current management system is doing nothing to help our deer population.Should be called hunter success magaement plan cause thats all its doing is trying to up the hunter success rates at the cost of what to our deer population.I could care less if you or joe blow shoots a deer or two legally but do you really think now is the time for that kind of harvest province wide with the state of our deer herd?This is where better micro managing need to come in place,big time and quickly!!!

#7 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

APR s in N.S. ofcourse the effect would on the surface appear to help the herd but having said that the implications maybe far reaching in terms of hunter participation aswell.I realize with our long and multiple discplined season that perhaps the opportunity to harvest a mature buck is there ,but for the most part i can see alot of disintrest in this as most are more concerned about the success of the moment ,not nessarilly down the road and a few seasons.I ve been fortunate through the years to be able to harvest many mature bucks so it can be a little easier for me to be patient or not,but to the newbies it could be a back breaker and thus we begin to loose what is important for us all is the new hunters coming up.

x2 

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#8 Whitey

Whitey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUpper Musq

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Pretty easy to just shoot a spike and say its a 6 pointer when you register it online. Get rid of the online registration and get some more officers out there and im all for APR's. My other concern would be accidental harvests, would be awfully hard to count the points at 200+ yards. Some would shoot first, count later....

#9 Haunted Hunter

Haunted Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationLockeport

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Camel,... you are 100% correct. APR is the answer to a better, larger deer heard and it blows my mind when people can't see this. Like you said, it would only be 2 or 3 years, maybe not even that long, and the meat hunters would be able to take deer  with decent antlers on their head just as easy as they were taking does fawns and yearlings. IMO alot of areas should have APR,...I have been saying this for years,..and now with the 2 tag system we realy need it. Alot of people here are always ranting against the 2 tag system, but I bet there isn't a hunter in N.S. that would not love to take 2 nice bucks every fall without hurting the deer numbers,... So,...what's the answer to larger numbers that will withstand 2 deer tags every fall,...HELLO,..APR. I don't know why it is such a big deal,...we all love hunting, we all love deer meat, we all love to see and watch deer, so why not have more,...IMO every hunter in N.S. should be fighting tooth and nail to have APR put in place. They can put a buck only law on and it doesn't seem to be a big problem, ( IMO buck only law is not a good thing for deer numbers ),....and your buck right now has to have atleast a 3" antler, so why not APR.

If a man speaks in the forest with no women around to hear, is he still wrong?

Choot 'em!....Troy Landry

#10 Haunted Hunter

Haunted Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationLockeport

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

OK heavyweight, I see and understand what you're saying about new hunters and success, but I think it would be much more exciting for a new hunter to be able go in the woods and just as easily take a nice size buck and see more deer than they would probly see now, instead of shooting the first and probly only spike horn they see for the season.

#11 Haunted Hunter

Haunted Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationLockeport

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Pretty easy to just shoot a spike and say its a 6 pointer when you register it online. Get rid of the online registration and get some more officers out there and im all for APR's. My other concern would be accidental harvests, would be awfully hard to count the points at 200+ yards. Some would shoot first, count later....

I don't all together agree with the online registration either but nobody shoots a deer home in their computer room,...they still have to get the deer from the woods to their house and I'm sure most hunters aren't willing to risk getting caught with an undersize deer. I know there's poachers,...but poachers are poachers and have lots of guts and this is why I agree with more law enforcement. Now as far as a 200yrd shot at a deer that someone is unsure how many points it has is realy no different than a shot at a deer when you don't know if the spike on one side is 3" or not,...you let it walk and that deer lives for atleast another day but if it makes it to the next season it adds another 1 to the heard.    APR's work.

#12 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Normally I take the time to form a well formed argument but...

Apr fan boys start one thread. There is some debate.

Not happy without winning start another thread. More debate.

Obviviously correct - start another thread to prove it.

Ah much better no one cares to debate this again. Apr wins!!! Everyone is now on the same page and knows the right answer!!!

Meat in the freezer is how I judge success.

Now if you want more numbers, jack the price of licences, enforce the current rules, cut the bonus deer wounding seasons off and if you still havent got enough deer do something about habitat loss and climate change. Apr will help cut back on meat hunters to help the trophy hunters out...

I will keep hunting wrong until it is illegal - then I will post no hunting signs on all the land I have to help the deer population out (If that is what this is really about).
Wanted: More places to hunt and more time to do it.

#13 Camel

Camel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

WOW!!!!!Guess someone p$##@D is your Wheaties.Talk about ill informed!!!!

Licenses already jacked up,lots of people still hunting,deer numbers not increasing.

Rules are enforced,just not enough CO's to cover the areas.

As for the deer wounding seasons,well theres a can of worms you opened.I'm guessing your not talking about gun season,right?Which is,and I'm GUESSING,where the most wounding happens.60 yards and under I can do anything with my bow that you can do with your rifle.

Time for some hunters to get out of their rut,same goes for the gov't.Rest of the world is moving forward and we're sitting still as is our deer population.

Trust me you are still going to be able to shoot your 1.5 years old deer even with APRs in effect,it would just have to have atleast 3 points on one side instead of 3".I'm gonna wait for those teenagers and daddies and put twice as much meat in my freezer as you will with you child deer.Just judging success from meat in the freezer is all.

I still can't understand why some think that APRs are just for trophies.Again get with the times,read some info,like the info I provided.Its about overall herd health and AGE STRUCTURE,which is lacking here in NS,IMO.

Like I said before I'm all for doing things legally and don't judge someone for shooting whatever deer pleases them.Just saying that something has to be done to help our deer population.Nothing the DNR has done since the buck only law came into effect has worked,NOTHING!!!!Just threw our deer herd out of balance big time.Just because you see a lot of deer in one area still doesn't mean that its a healthy herd.Throw in age structure,buck to doe ratios and get them where they should be then you have a healthy herd.Just ask Pete.

#14 Martin Archer

Martin Archer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPorters Lake

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

What are APR's and QDM's?

Of course I killed it, how else would I eat it?

#15 Haunted Hunter

Haunted Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationLockeport

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Normally I take the time to form a well formed argument but...

Apr fan boys start one thread. There is some debate.

Not happy without winning start another thread. More debate.

Obviviously correct - start another thread to prove it.

Ah much better no one cares to debate this again. Apr wins!!! Everyone is now on the same page and knows the right answer!!!

Meat in the freezer is how I judge success.

Now if you want more numbers, jack the price of licences, enforce the current rules, cut the bonus deer wounding seasons off and if you still havent got enough deer do something about habitat loss and climate change. Apr will help cut back on meat hunters to help the trophy hunters out...

I will keep hunting wrong until it is illegal - then I will post no hunting signs on all the land I have to help the deer population out (If that is what this is really about).

woot,...

it's a shame that you view this thread the way you do. I'm sure Camel didn't start this thread to try and start a fight or prove himself right. Also nobody said that hunters who take young deer are hunting wrong or that killing younger deer is not much success. You say that you base your success by meet in the freezer, and thats good, but I have to say that I base a successful hunting season on much more than just a deer in my freezer or antlers on my wall,...to me successful deer hunting is alot more than that and killing a deer is only part of it. IMO this thread is a good way to point out the possibilities and benefits of a APR system,...it's a shame your not more open minded on this,...I think it could benefit all hunters.

OH by the way, I'm not 100% sure about this part, but unless your land is to close to houses, roads, a school, or your land is being used for active farming or forrestry activity happening on it,..you cannot stop people from hunting on it...forrested wood land privately ownd or crown can be hunted by anyone.

#16 Mudbug

Mudbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

I would love to see apr's! Give the youth, newly licensed people,disabled and seniors a free pass and let them take what they want. The rest of us lazy asses I'm sure as hell can get off our phones and computers and find us a deer that would go the minimum. If most of you spent the hours in the woods scouting and hunting you do on here whining you'd be able to find a deer instead of blasting the first thing you see. Even if apr's never come into effect I'm still a firm believer of the youth's,seniors,newbies and disabled hunters getting first crack at any antleress tags. Woot sounds like if you don't get to play the way you want your gonna take your ball n bat home so nobody else can play lol

#17 oaktree220

oaktree220

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTantallon

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

Martin Archer

APR      Antler Point Restriction  

QDM    Quality Deer Management

I practice both

#18 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

What are APR's and QDM's?

APR - "Antler Point Restrictions"

We already have APR to be legal a buck must have one antler of at least 3" in NS (I think that's how it is worded??)

What's being suggested here (I think) is increasing it to at least 3 points one side.

This would allow a buck to at least get in one season/fall of breeding which would produce more does being bred and more fawns.

QDM - "Quality Deer Management" best way to see that is read the entire "Pete's Plots" thread and the story of his property and have a look at the caliber of deer he has around.

It covers everything from providing and improving habitat for deer to responsibly harvesting the right deer at the right time.

I'm all for APR's province wide.

Limits on the amount of bait that can be placed in one area at a time.

Get rid of online registering.

#19 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

OK heavyweight, I see and understand what you're saying about new hunters and success, but I think it would be much more exciting for a new hunter to be able go in the woods and just as easily take a nice size buck and see more deer than they would probly see now, instead of shooting the first and probly only spike horn they see for the season.

I see and understand what Camel is saying and aswell you Haunted hunter ,nothing says a young hunter wouldnt harvest a mature buck either infact alot of times it does happen.Camel refers to certain areas that do have strong populations and others that dont,true enough.Also the way the resourse is managed also surely could use an overhaul no doubt about it.the area i hunt is pretty strong in deer numbers despite all the poaching,road kills and hunter success rate ,and i have to say everyone i know that hunts around my area ,and plenty others got er done in 2013.Now myself and another fella both let good lookin potential trophies go hoping to see a little more growth for next year and hoping the highway dont get em as was the case for a certain 12 pointer I was secretly after until he got 101 fever last week of season not far from where we found splayfoot this fall.APR s would help the population no doubt about it but with it being a tough sledding for the most part for a seasoned hunter to tag a mature buck how about the not so seasoned hunter,who will soon loose intrest if he s lettin em walk if they re lucky enough to get one in their sights!Wont be long and we ll be having more problems than just deer populations if we cant keep the newbies interested just saying!
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#20 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

I think at most it would take one to two seasons to see a difference.

If some hunters can't or aren't that willing to make that small a sacrifice to enhance/help maintain the herd...do we really want them around?

I wouldn't miss them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users