• LocationCumberland County

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

im thinking of going to pei for a duck/goose hunt next fall or maybe this fall
has anyone gone?
whats involved?
guides/ licenses/ extras?

anyone recomend a good outfitter

probably just be a 1-2 day hunt

I was looking into these guys, dunno??? Seems reasonable. http://www.oldtimeoutfitters.com/
Well I gave up "SMOKIN" "DRINKIN" & "HUNTIN" last night & it was the worst 15 minutes of my life

#3 Ruger

Ruger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

i go to hunters chance every year. this is my 5th year.very good outfitter,and a very fun allaround hunting trip.

#4 displaced newfie

displaced newfie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

www.pointviewoutfitters.com

I have been in 2008 - great hunt limits on geese for the first two days and blue bird skies and nothing on the third.

I just book ed another 3 day trip for the 2010 season. Pricing is very competative and the whole experience is great. Reid Lee is the owners name......check out the website.

#5 buck

buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Locationadvocate harbour

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

give david montgery a call at 1 902 836 3048 I go every year good hunting good decoys good success great you can take your own grub or they will supply home cooked supper cabins are included tell him hal said to give you a good deal

#6 upland

upland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

I would recommend Dave Mclellan. I have only had one goose hunt and I was a complete novice and I had a wonderful time.

#7 dtskidoo

dtskidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

We were over this fall 3 guys 3 days hunting only got 3 geese 20 some ducks not happy with our hunt . if we were going again we would not book a hunt a long time in advance but rather have it lined up with your outfitter before hand and call him to make sure the birds are using his fields before you go, to avoid disapointment.if the birds are not using your outfitters fields you won,t get them!

#8 Quackaddict

Quackaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBrookfield

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

We were over this fall 3 guys 3 days hunting only got 3 geese 20 some ducks not happy with our hunt . if we were going again we would not book a hunt a long time in advance but rather have it lined up with your outfitter before hand and call him to make sure the birds are using his fields before you go, to avoid disapointment.if the birds are not using your outfitters fields you won,t get them!

Amen to that! You hit the nail on the head here. We have made multiple trips over with an outfitter and same thing each time. The outfitter knows before you get there, your chances of getting birds. Goose hunting is a scouting game and if the birds aren't in the field on Sunday,before you get there, they aren't going to the field on Monday morning when you are set up in there. I understand that the outfitters need to make an income from their clients, but lets get real here. The odds of birds venturing into the field you are in on a whim are very slim if the birds have not been in their on a regular basis. We have gone over and once got there, the outfitter informed us that it has been a "tough season", on this note you may as well jump into your vehicle and head back to the mainland. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sitting in a layout hunting a new area and watching whatever flies by, the same as anyone else, but when you pay a decent fair for a hunt you expect that there was at least some birds in the field you are hunting the few days prior to you arriving....boys thats how goose hunting works! Over the past few years, we have hunted with three different outfitters and the same thing has happened each and every time. Your best bet for the island is to get to know someone who hunts over there and offer a swap hunt or the like. Good luck with getting a straight answer from the outfitters if you are expecting to head back over. Just a heads up!
HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL QUICK AND APPOLOGIZE TO NOBODY!

"I think that birds were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it."--Ernest Hemingway, 193

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 chezz

chezz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationLower East chezzetcook, NS

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

If your going to spend the coin to be disapointed in PEI.. spend that little extra and
go to St. Lawrence Outfitters in Morrisburg Ontario and fill your limit every day..
SOME IS GOOD...MORE IS BETTER...AND TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!!!

Posted Image
BERETTA XTREMA2 WITH THAT BAD A$$ WAD WIZARD SUPREME

#10 DANS

DANS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

would have to agree with Chezz next time I spend the coin to go with a guide I am heading to Ontario or Quebec.

#11 The Horseman

The Horseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

What kind of price are you looking for to hunt ST Lawerence. not transport just the time on site...

#12 chezz

chezz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationLower East chezzetcook, NS

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

$1200ish but includes hunting, lodging and some meals
SOME IS GOOD...MORE IS BETTER...AND TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!!!

Posted Image
BERETTA XTREMA2 WITH THAT BAD A$$ WAD WIZARD SUPREME

#13 Lurch

Lurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationMasstown

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

You are right on the money Quackaddict. I hunted with an outfitter over there three times and a good hunt, a so so hunt and a miserable one. I think that the first couple of weeks in November are the best. The hunting pressure lowers as the locals are over here and in New Brunswick deer hunting.

The swap a hunt is a good way to go. I was lucky enough to meet a couple of guys through work. We have been hunting together each fall since 2004.

As far as St. Lawrence Outfiters go, you can't go wrong hunting with them. I have had a couple of great hunts with them.
Lurch

Cancelling Flights Since 1982

#14 Duck Slammer

Duck Slammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMargaree Valley

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:53 AM

Ive been to PEI a couple times and although we had fun as a group.. the hunting was terriable! I have gone with the big named guides over there too. Hunting here in NS we never went a single hunt without knocking down geese. We went over to PEI and never fired a shot for an entire day hunting. Like it was mentioned before.. the guides know before you get there. U do have a better chance over there at migrating geese and new geese coming in but usually there are guys set up all around you too all honking at the same flock. I would likly go back again but i am going to continue to use a different outfitter everytime until i find one that seams to have the right feilds

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11391 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

I made my 1st goose hunting trip to PEI in 1984 spending a week at a time min and many years until probally the late 90's going back for a second or third week the same year.Always came home with my limit until probally 2004.
Seen days with 20 birds on the ground in 15 minutes and had weeks of late with no birds at all.
Right now it doesn't matter what outfitter you use or what guide.The patterns of the birds have changed and no one has them figured out so far in my opinion.I am no expert on the subject just sharing what I have seen by spending time there and talking to people.
Opening day was always the best day now I think it is the worst. I see names like Dave McLellan mentioned and David Montgery. Had the opportunity to hunt with both of them over the years and you can do no better.Both are excellent outfitters. Beleive me they want their customers to get geese.Fields have always been a toss up good one this year nothing next year all depends what crops the farmer plants, who has the fields next to you , the pressure on the birds etc.

Below are the words of probally the best guide to ever pick up a call over there when he was interviewed in 2007.If I can make one suggestion try to book later than your norm other than that it is a gamble right now.You could still limit out or bag nothing.But don't blame the outfitter or the guide it is good old mother nature making a change.

For decades, the grain and potato fields around my home have been the primary location for consistent, high quality goose hunting, though lately things have been changing. In recent years I have noticed a dramatic rise in temperatures, a decrease of winter snow and ice, and how these changes have been affecting the migration patterns of Canadian geese in this region.

Goose hunting season starts on the first Monday in October and ends the second Saturday in December. Usually during the first opening the weather is a bit chilly but, over the last two years, right up to November, we were still swatting mosquitoes, wearing T-shirts and sneakers — not our hunting jackets as it used to be.

We used to get snow by 1 November, but now we’re lucky to get snow by Christmas. During the winter of 2006-07 there wasn’t more than a week of good snowmobiling weather. In years past, snowmobiling was good from Christmas through spring. And I remember when I was a kid, you’d go outside and the snow would be up to the level of the power lines and there were warnings on the radio not to let the kids out. I haven’t seen that in a long time.

Where are the geese?
With the increase in fall temperatures, Canadian geese are migrating south much later in the year. When it eventually gets cold and they migrate through Prince Edward Island, the geese hang out in the local bays and estuaries instead of collecting spent grain and potatoes from the agricultural fields. This is happening for a couple of reasons. First, the waters have not been freezing over like they used to. Second, without the cold temperatures, the geese don’t have the same pressure to stock up on food before continuing their migration south. With the hot sunny days we’ve been having, the geese tend stay out on the water and don’t come inland at all. It’s a big change.

And now, some of the geese are even staying around all year. I’ve never seen geese do this. They’re opportunists though, and if it’s mild around here, they’ll stick around and take advantage of it.

Usually the first two weeks of the hunting season are the best hunting that you have the whole season. Now, most hunters are going home with nothing. During the last two years, on opening day, we haven’t shot a single goose. I have a group of four guys that come every year, and just like clock-work, they expect to get their geese. But the last two years on opening day they didn’t get any. Clients are starting to say to me, "Gee, do you remember when we used to go out and the geese were everywhere and now you can go out on opening day and not see any geese at all?"

Local consequences
If the hunting remains poor for another year or two my clients from the US and other Canadian provinces will probably stop coming. This won’t only hurt local guides like me, but will also affect local farmers too. During the off season, the farms really welcome the additional income from leasing their fields before winter. Good fields can be leased for up to US$4,000.

All the guides are in the same boat. We’re scratching our heads while our clients are sitting out in the fields with sun tan lotion and bug spray.

Local government is now starting to consider changing the season to accommodate the new migration timing by moving the opening to a later start date by a week or more. But change from government comes slow.

#16 DANS

DANS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I spent the coin this spring an went to Kennebec outfitters in Quebec it was excellent , no limits but great time an come home with a mount an birds in the freezer. Can't ask for much more it's hunting.

#17 DANS

DANS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

CB just read your post an patterns with weather an migration is same all round . Where I live we really don't see the push to the end of the season an just after it ends my hunting area runs full. Understanding it's not the guides fault no birds in field an not moving its called hunting not getting an expect ions are usually high even though you should set the lower an if you get limits be thankfull . With that said an this economy people are only going to have maybe 1 or 2 bad experiences an they will spend there cash else where. I was over a few times am experience something different. There was birds but no field rotation for group. Same clients went to the productive fields an we did the hit an miss hunt. Hopefully PEI changes season an we can again enjoy shorter drive to PEI for even half limit of birds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users