89 replies to this topic

#21 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

For me, if Sunday Hunting comes great, if it never comes, equally as great. I plan my entire year around Hunting, in some form, therefore what ever time I have off work gets used up then. Having said this not all have that advantage. However looking at all sides of the issue, the Lands, in particular Crown Lands are all the taxpayers property. Not just Hunters. Whether folks are in the woods for other non hunting activites, which might include hiking, biking, Snowmobiling, ATVing or simply out for a Sunday drive out on some forestry backroad (which is common here) we must respect their right to be there as well.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#22 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Nicely put mwo

#23 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

MWO ....have u been back the mines lately?seeing any deer or grouse?im not hunting this season so i havent been back the rd much..busy doin the alberta thing

#24 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

MWO ....have u been back the mines lately?seeing any deer or grouse?im not hunting this season so i havent been back the rd much..busy doin the alberta thing

Yes just came back from the Camp. Have been out a bunch the last week Bird hunting. Have not made it past the top of the Hardwod Mountain. Lots of Birds. Deer as well at my stand, my bud is using it this year. As well deer tracks are not plentifull on the actual road, but a soon as you get back in the overgrown cuttings and swamps, lots of activity. Next week I am heading back into Dean Chapter, BRL area, perhaps might even get back into Schofield Meadows and the Mantletree area bird hunting. Weather is suppose to cool off next week, lost a lots of leaves yesterday. Tons of Bear too.
It is badly cut this year, not sure when the last time you were out. Sad to see.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#25 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Good to hear😊weve been due for a decent grouse season.and i have been back for few drives..not hunting just looking..lots of cutting everywhere back there.it is sad

#26 kettlesd

kettlesd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPorters Lake NS

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

For me, if Sunday Hunting comes great, if it never comes, equally as great. I plan my entire year around Hunting, in some form, therefore what ever time I have off work gets used up then. Having said this not all have that advantage. However looking at all sides of the issue, the Lands, in particular Crown Lands are all the taxpayers property. Not just Hunters. Whether folks are in the woods for other non hunting activites, which might include hiking, biking, Snowmobiling, ATVing or simply out for a Sunday drive out on some forestry backroad (which is common here) we must respect their right to be there as well.

I agree fully that we have to respect the use of our lands by non-hunters. But I don't believe that respect does not means that both hunters and non-hunters cannot safely use our lands simultaneously, 7-days a week. 

The vast majority of non-hunting related outdoor activites carried out in NS by the public - biking, camping, hiking, bird-watching, pleasure driving, snowmobiling, running, dog-walking, boating, etc are currently carried out in areas that are banned to hunting 365-days a year - i.e. provincial parks and beaches, national parks, travelled roadways, known public trails, sportsfields, urban greenspaces, urban parks and busy waterways. In short, there are ALWAYS times and places for the non-hunting public to enjoy their favorite pastimes regardless of the day, or time of year, but not so much for the hunting public. 

If it is a question of pressure on the natural resource of our game species, I would rather see the hunting season end a week sooner, and allow the pursuit of hunting on Sundays.

Gunsmith, Chef, Pilot, Shooter & Hunter........

#27 bad knees

bad knees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

I agree fully that we have to respect the use of our lands by non-hunters. But I don't believe that respect does not means that both hunters and non-hunters cannot safely use our lands simultaneously, 7-days a week. 

The vast majority of non-hunting related outdoor activites carried out in NS by the public - biking, camping, hiking, bird-watching, pleasure driving, snowmobiling, running, dog-walking, boating, etc are currently carried out in areas that are banned to hunting 365-days a year - i.e. provincial parks and beaches, national parks, travelled roadways, known public trails, sportsfields, urban greenspaces, urban parks and busy waterways. In short, there are ALWAYS times and places for the non-hunting public to enjoy their favorite pastimes regardless of the day, or time of year, but not so much for the hunting public. 

If it is a question of pressure on the natural resource of our game species, I would rather see the hunting season end a week sooner, and allow the pursuit of hunting on Sundays.

Very well said. I agree completely.

#28 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

Is it wrong that people may want to use the same land we hunt for recreational purposes also??they pay taxes as well and shouldnt have to feel uncomfortable using it.i dont think one day a week is asking much.and given the amount of idiots that inhabit our woods this time of year...u cant blame them for not wanting to be in the same areas at the same time.our seasons are plenty long enough as it is now

#29 birddawg

birddawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Is it wrong that people may want to use the same land we hunt for recreational purposes also??they pay taxes as well and shouldnt have to feel uncomfortable using it.i dont think one day a week is asking much.and given the amount of idiots that inhabit our woods this time of year...u cant blame them for not wanting to be in the same areas at the same time.our seasons are plenty long enough as it is now

Absolutely, non-hunters should be free to use the same recreational areas hunters do. And likewise, hunters should be able to hunt -- anywhere it is both safe and legal to do so -- without being constrained by the irrational fears or moral objections of those same non-hunters. Many of those who oppose Sunday hunting live and recreate in urban areas or in parks where hunting wouldn't be legal ANY day of the week. And most who oppose it do so largely because of grossly exaggerated safety concerns or moral objections to the killing of animals. There are far more idiots on the roads than in the woods, and yet people persist in thinking their lives are in great danger if they go for a walk in the woods in November. I'd love to see a public education campaign detailing the number of incidents and relative danger involving various forms of recreation.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom. - Chief Sitting Bull

#30 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Absolutely, non-hunters should be free to use the same recreational areas hunters do. And likewise, hunters should be able to hunt -- anywhere it is both safe and legal to do so -- without being constrained by the irrational fears or moral objections of those same non-hunters. Many of those who oppose Sunday hunting live and recreate in urban areas or in parks where hunting wouldn't be legal ANY day of the week. And most who oppose it do so largely because of grossly exaggerated safety concerns or moral objections to the killing of animals. There are far more idiots on the roads than in the woods, and yet people persist in thinking their lives are in great danger if they go for a walk in the woods in November. I'd love to see a public education campaign detailing the number of incidents and relative danger involving various forms of recreation.

#31 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Agreed.many on the highways but this time of year especially next month and a half the crazies come out!i see it every year.very scary.drinking.littering.unsafe shooting.etc.i dont blame people for bein nervous in the woods during hunting season.jeeze even i am sometimes.😨i dont think the opposition comes from people in rural areas necessarily...a lot oppose because of bad hunting ethics.i live in the woods and i oppose😊

#32 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

I fully support the introduction of Sunday hunting in NS. Long overdue IMO.

For those that that use the safety of the non-hunting public as rationale to continue a ban on Sunday hunting please consider the facts, as that defense simply does not hold water. Look into the statistics of hunting related accidents/injuries/fatalities to either other hunters or non-hunters in Canada over the last decade, or two even. Now look up the stats for the number of pedestrians struck and injured in marked crossings in the city of Halifax alone for the past year or two.

Statistically you are far more likely to be injured as a pedestrian crossing the street in a marked crossing in downtown Halifax. Now, please explain the justification for the ban on Sunday hunting based on the facts. When can we anticipate separate automobile and pedestrian traffic days/times in HRM, as based on the weekly coverage in the media one is clearly at risk while crossing the street in the city.

Just like the extra archery/crossbow/muzzleloader tags that are available, if you personally do not believe in or support the hunt, you are in no way obligated to participate. Nobody will try and force you to hunt Sundays against your will, or buy an extra tag. Why, as a hunter, do you feel the need to try and limit the opportunities available for others based on "YOUR" personal feelings? We are our own worst enemies quite often in regard to discussions such as this, from a group that are supposed to share what is favourite past time for many and a way of life for some!        

#33 Camokid

Camokid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationHarrietsfield, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

I also believe we should be allowed Sunday hunting. If there are no limits on certain licenses sold for each hunting season, meaning every hunter can buy a tag for that animal, then there is no argument to say Sunday is a day of conservation. If every hunter is allowed to shoot a buck, whether it's 6 days a week or 7, every hunter is still allowed to shoot a buck. I get that most people may work mon-fri and day shift, however that is a variable that cannot be put into numbers that can be divided into legal hunting days/year. Therefore, if you cannot put a number up for how many people are hunting from Monday to Saturday you cannot say that Sunday is a day of conservation because there is no proof that adding Sunday to the hunting schedule will result in more game being taken.. In all fairness, if all non hunters are allowed to enter the woods 7 days a week to do what they enjoy, hunters should be allowed too.
Shoot now, ask questions later!

#34 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

I fully support the introduction of Sunday hunting in NS. Long overdue IMO.

For those that that use the safety of the non-hunting public as rationale to continue a ban on Sunday hunting please consider the facts, as that defense simply does not hold water. Look into the statistics of hunting related accidents/injuries/fatalities to either other hunters or non-hunters in Canada over the last decade, or two even. Now look up the stats for the number of pedestrians struck and injured in marked crossings in the city of Halifax alone for the past year or two.

Statistically you are far more likely to be injured as a pedestrian crossing the street in a marked crossing in downtown Halifax. Now, please explain the justification for the ban on Sunday hunting based on the facts. When can we anticipate separate automobile and pedestrian traffic days/times in HRM, as based on the weekly coverage in the media one is clearly at risk while crossing the street in the city.

Just like the extra archery/crossbow/muzzleloader tags that are available, if you personally do not believe in or support the hunt, you are in no way obligated to participate. Nobody will try and force you to hunt Sundays against your will, or buy an extra tag. Why, as a hunter, do you feel the need to try and limit the opportunities available for others based on "YOUR" personal feelings? We are our own worst enemies quite often in regard to discussions such as this, from a group that are supposed to share what is favourite past time for many and a way of life for some!

#35 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hunting is a favorite pass time and a way of life for me.I just dont think it should be allowed on sundays lol.Thank god its a free country and everyones intitled to there opinion😊

#36 burntwoodsboy

burntwoodsboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie/Parrsboro Shore

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

Seeing this is Nova Scotia, I'm sure the provincial Govt. will find a way to milk this. You'll have to buy a special "Sunday Hunting" tag, likely $25.00! 

Seriously tho, I've been hunting regulaqrly for 30+ years all over Nova Scotia, and not once have I ever seen anyone out for a leasurly walk on Sunday or any other day of the week. Not saying people don't do this, just saying I haven't seen them. Perhaps they are very hard to spot and travel just before dawn or right before dark. Maybe we could find a way to bait them so we can study their habbits and migration paterns. The only people I find "walking in the woods" are guys checking their grow ops!

#37 Stinkeye

Stinkeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Locationnova scotia

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Sunday hunting would be great seeing as how most people are off the weekends. If there must be a day of no hunting why couldnt it be a tuesday? And what really gets me is hunters must pay for a wildlife habitat stamp to go play in the woods but all other user groups play for free! Could you imagine if bird watchers, mountain bikers and hikers had to pay for a habitat stamp like we do? This no hunting thing is just a legacy law from the time when religion dominated the decision making. Sunday should be a day of rest says the bible, but we now know the bible is foolishness and it is time to moderinize our laws. The nslc figured it out why cant dnr?

#38 goldhush2

goldhush2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

This is great news! I see a lot more outdoor camping activity and travel through out the province developing as well because of all weekend hunting. Lots of us will just stay awake 36 hrs. :) Great! It will be a great way to explore Nova Scotia.

#39 SlowHand

SlowHand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

I hunt deer, moose (when I can get a tag, otherwise off to NFLD!) rabbit and this year I want to start Coyote.

I own a few hundred acres in the middle of the province that I inherited.

I like to hike around the property (about 2h from Halifax) with my kids, only on Sundays (during hunting season) as I have been shot at twice in my life on my own property. The second time I had blaze orange on.. it simply doesn't matter with idiots. Almost every year a neighbors cow will get shot due to the idiots hunting deer. How the hell a cow looks like a deer is beyond me.

There are currently 3 people I know of that hunt on my land, they asked permission and I encourage it. We all have separate areas we hunt at. I setup trail cams pointing at their trail cams in case someone takes theirs because it's happened before.. I know all the neighbors and it would be easy to find out who does what there. Small community, everyone knows everyone else. I have some of the older neighbors taking down licence plate numbers when they park by the road now.

I'll tell you straight up, if they have hunting allowed on Sundays, there will be no hunting signs all across my property line. I don't ever want someone shooting at me again when I'm hiking and camping with my kids on my own property.

I get one day a week in the fall when I can "feel safe" on my own land. If they take that day away, it's going to ruin it for everyone on my land at least - and I know my neighbors will follow suit.

Also, to answer the topic of the OP - you're just spreading rumours and heresay. Stirring the pot as it were.

#40 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

X2 slowhand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users