12 replies to this topic

#1 nsfisher

nsfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

With the opening of rifle season, and the ability to harvest two deer this year, this may be a consideration for those looking to help out.

A great program, which started from an idea from Bowhunter's daughter Taylor, 6 or 7 years ago...

http://www.feednovas...lp_hunters.html

#2 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

Great for posting this. I personally have been donating Deer Meat to Feed Nova Scotia for years now. I do it through my butcher,(which is obligitory) Reids in Gaspereau. It is one charity that I totally support and believe in.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#3 nsfisher

nsfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

I don't need the meat this year as I was fortunate to have success in Cape Breton for moose and an elk last week in BC; I was contemplating whether to hunt deer or not which made me think of this program as an option.

#4 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

I always like donating when I harvest more than I need. If I'm lucky enough to get a second one this year, half or all will be going to the program. As a bonus for those who don't know, when you donate your name goes in a draw for a new marlin 336 in 30-30

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#5 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

I don't need the meat this year due to success in Cape Breton for moose and an elk last week in BC; I was contemplating whether to hunt deer or not which made me think of the program as an option.

Same situation as with you for Moose. Still on the fence this year regarding Deer Hunting. Might fall off the fence however and donate again.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#6 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMiddle Sackville

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

2 deer??? What's this? I heard that last year people were allowed 2 deer in some areas but I never heard about it for this year?

#7 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

1 with archery/muzzleloader tag 

1 with general tag

#8 MWO has left

MWO has left

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

JJ

The very best advise anyone can give you (I mean this in a positive way totally) is as a new Hunter (you indicated that in another thread) that you read your hunting summary booklet from cover to cover. It is rather informative and will keep you on the straight and narrow regarding what you are allowed to do and what the regs are. I have hunted for decades but read it each and eevry year, cover to cover.

As to your question onlya6pt has answered it.

#9 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

JJ

The very best advise anyone can give you (I mean this in a positive way totally) is as a new Hunter (you indicated that in another thread) that you read your hunting summary booklet from cover to cover. It is rather informative and will keep you on the straight and narrow regarding what you are allowed to do and what the regs are. I have hunted for decades but read it each and eevry year, cover to cover.

As to your question onlya6pt has answered it.

I read mine cover to cover every year as well, and highlight anything which I may get called out on if stopped by the authorities. Every year there are a few crucial changes. The last thing I want to do is get in s**t for doing something stupid which is clearly covered in the regulations.

#10 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMiddle Sackville

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

I did read the booklet but I guess I misunderstood that part. I thought it stated I could either get a deer with Bow & Muzzle loader "OR" get a deer with my rifle. The devil is always in the details I guess.

#11 Quackaddict

Quackaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBrookfield

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

Can bear meat donated as well?
HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL QUICK AND APPOLOGIZE TO NOBODY!

"I think that birds were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it."--Ernest Hemingway, 193

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 nsfisher

nsfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

Don't believe bear meat can be donated Quackaddict, from Feed NS Website:

"Hunters Helping the Hungry is a joint initiative of FEED NOVA SCOTIA and the hunting community. Through this program, hunters can help provide a valuable source of protein for families in need by donating deer and moose meat for distribution to food banks and meal programs across the province."

#13 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

Can bear meat donated as well?

No it can't. The reason being the possibility of trichinosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users