Proud Of Myself Today (New Photo Added)! - Deer Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Proud Of Myself Today (New Photo Added)!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMiddle Sackville

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

Well Today was my first day hunting by myself and it was also the first day I actually got to see a deer come out while in the stand.

It was windy and cold today but I had a good feeling about this evening due to the wind dyeing down.

As I was climbing my stand ladder a button buck came out and started eating apples. I was making lots of noise due to just arriving and getting setup with a backpack and a rifle on my back that still needed to be loaded. I was shocked to see that before I was even sitting in the stand I had a deer at the apple pile.

I took some photos of him eating apples and posted them on my facebook and I had lots of experienced hunters saying "take him", and "what are you waiting for"... but my ethics told me not to shoot him because in my eyes he was just a fawn... 

I said "no" and that I would wait for something with more meat to offer allowing this little guy to grow up to feed a family next year.

It didn't feel right to me but I feel really good about leaving him eat his apples and walk off into the woods with a full belly.

No more deer came out today but even if I knew I would not get another buck to shoot at today I would still have made the same decision.

I have heard so many stories of first time hunters getting all worked up and shooting the first thing they see but I didn't have that feeling at all. I felt calm and satisfied with just getting to see one eating my apples.

I'll wait for the 6 pointer that I have been seeing on my trail cam.

I'm curious as to what other people's thoughts are and what they would have done. Did I make a good ethical decision or was I a fool to let that meat walk off into the woods?

Regardless of what people feel I should have done I only care about how my decision made me feel but it would be interesting to hear the comments.

#2 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Button Buck

This is the button buck I let go.

#3 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

6 point buck

This is the 6 pointer I hope to bag.

#4 DaneNav

DaneNav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

I like what you did today.

#5 Camokid

Camokid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationHarrietsfield, Nova Scotia

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:45 AM

If you're the only hunter in the area you may get to watch that buck grow until you want to take him, I too would have let him go, I like to hunt for mature bucks
Shoot now, ask questions later!

#6 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

i like what you did...i understand everyone has different opportunities when hunting deer, so i would not judge anyone who takes any legal deer and then hangs up the gun till the following season. Having said that, and because you asked, I woudn't have shot a fawn  now or not my first year of hunting. Personally, I think you did the right thing. But of course, what is my "right thing" may not be others...I get that....hope you get the 6 pt! 

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#7 hotflash

hotflash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

shows your a great sportsman, you'll get a 10 pointer  for your patience,  take care,,,,

#8 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

Good on you JJ ,I think by your post you really get it!your opportunity to tag a more mature deer will come,you ve passed that first lesson of patience and if you persevere it will payoff,all the best bud!
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#9 001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationO

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

those big bucks will be garbage soon, don't shoot for the horns shoot for a the meat

#10 ducknuts

ducknuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • LocationCaribou Marsh, CB

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

Good stuff JJ....you will know when it's the right time. It's all about the hunt, enjoy it and you will be rewarded well! Good luck on the six point, young bucks like that will give you the opportunity for a shot if you keep at it.
Just one well placed arrow saves a lot of unnecessary exercise
Posted Image

#11 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

Only the hunter knows what feels right and when it feels right. Do whatever makes you happy.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#12 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

justin_james, you gained a boatload of respect from this hunter for what you did. You have the ideal mindset that I would love to see in all new hunters. You also aren't afraid to ask advice and seem to really take what other say into consideration. If you continue on with this mentality, this site will benefit greatly from your input. 

Welcome to hunting my friend. I can't wait to hear the write up when you get one. Good luck.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#13 Tokala

Tokala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

Wtg JJ that's what it's all about! More time in the woods = more fun, joy and learning!
"We are a part of nature and not above it" - Grey Owl

#14 Vanq

Vanq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

#15 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Regardless of what people feel I should have done I only care about how my decision made me feel

Good for you and great decision IMO!!

#16 justin_james

justin_james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your input and kind words. I really appreciate it. I didn't post this to obtain praise but it sure feels good! :D

Don't get me wrong I am in no way trying to disrespect anyone who would or have shot button bucks or yearlings. I understand that it's all about what your area has to offer and what your personal code of ethics is but I was just curious as to what some may view my decision as.

Thanks.

#17 Valley Hunter

Valley Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

I think you made a Good decision ,,  being a new hunter and all passing a young one up like that I think you are going to make a very good hunter ,,your already very patient and you know where to find deer ,I think we need a lot more hunters like you in the woods  ..

#18 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good for you Justin , no one but you can decide how your time in the woods is spent , or how it makes you feel .If it leaves you feeling good and eagerly waiting for your next trip to your stand, then you're enjoying the hunt and that's how it should be .

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#19 NixLovesGuns

NixLovesGuns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationGuysborough County

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Good job there bud! Last year i sorta had the same thing happen, had a little 4 point walk out but decided he wasn't ready yet and i didn't want something that small as my first so i passed on him. Karma kicked in and 90 mins later a 8pt walked out. again, good job!

#20 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Good job Justin !!  you'll learn a LOT more about deer by watching them than just shooting every one you ever see.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users