Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

2015 Newfoundland Moose Hunt

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Gumshoe 
#1 ·
I,m going on my fourth moose hunt to Newfoundland this year,can hardly wait until Cctober rolls around.Any other people going over this year?Anyone going for the first time?

#2 ·
Greg, I as well am heading over for the fourth time. Oct as well, however I usually am there in Sept. Looking forward to it. It is likely my last time, this as I retire this year, but most importantly my daughter is once again coming with me. She will be the shooter this year. My fingers are crossed. Did my Ferry bookings this week as well, wait to long and a cabin is not in the cards..

#6 ·
Yes Greg it is expensive. The cheapest I heard of over there is 3K. My first trip, which was a fly in was $4300.00. I only went once there, that same place now is $5300.00. Been going to another place, will be three years this fall, price is $3500.00/$500.00 for a Non Hunter, although I heard other Hunters last year saying they paid more than that? I start saving my Dimes a year in advance. I love going over, I could get real used to Moose Hunting exclusively. Perhaps some rich relative can help me out in the years to come. LOL

#8 ·
Greg. my cost last year

$3500.00 for me

$500.00 for my daughter

$375.00 Ferry

$125.00 Gas

$395.00 Cut/Wrap

$200.00 Tips (not required or asked for)

Beer??

Others expenses...Fish Tub, bought several years ago...Ice from the Fish Plant..if open...Meals, enroute...

#10 ·
I hunt the SW part, Codroy area about 2 hours up in the mountains from there on Argo/J5, My outfitter is out of Doyles. He hunts in three Zones but my preference has been the camp (Tents) in MMA 9. I also have my meat Vacuum sealed , I use the Butcher right in Doyles. His work is up to that of Reid's here in the Valley. Excellent work indeed.

#14 ·
It,s a very scenic place to hunt and always interesting to meet your guide and hear their stories.If you hear an engine over there,its probably a floatplane,not three guys with loaded rifles in the back of a pickup,looking for their third moose of the week.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very Scenic indeed, very open where i hunt, correct as well on engine sounds, no Trucks, not even ATV's where i am. They would not get there through the bogs, at least mine would not. Argos have a hard enough time through that stuff.

Greg, are you hunting with the outfitter up there that offers "Ruff it Hunts"?

#17 ·
$3500 is a great deal....with US dollar the way it is all outfitters will be increasing rates for Canadian Hunters...A $4000 us dollar hunt is how $4800 Canadian. Most lodges are sold out for 2015. Im booked for September 13th again this year.....looking forward to another great moose hunt in NF. TH

#18 ·
$3500 is a great deal....with US dollar the way it is all outfitters will be increasing rates for Canadian Hunters...A $4000 us dollar hunt is how $4800 Canadian. Most lodges are sold out for 2015. Im booked for September 13th again this year.....looking forward to another great moose hunt in NF. TH
Been paying $3500.00 CDN Taxes included for the third year now. The Lodge just up the road from him is 3K. My outfitter was sold our prior to Xmas at least in MMA 9. There will be cancellations as usual I assume.

#21 ·
We have been hunting with Mountain Top Outfitters out of the Codroy area for a while now. Art and Debbie Ryan are great. Areas 9 and 11. Prices mentioned previous to this post are right on with what we are paying. I won't be surprised if they go up due to the increasing value of the $USD relative to our loonie. We also get our moose butchered and vacuum sealed right in the Codroy area. We are headed back again the third week of October and are all really looking forward to the trip.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.