Sunday Hunting Public Consultation & Survey - Gone Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Sunday Hunting Public Consultation & Survey

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisaveryman

Chrisaveryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

We want to hear what you're thoughts are on the current Sunday hunting ban. Our department has begun a public consultation on the subject. Please follow the link below to provide your input:http://novascotia.ca...?id=20150213010

Survey link:

http://www.novascoti...tr/hunt/sunday/

#2 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

If you did not get the press release, here it is:

Consultation Begins on Sunday Hunting

Department of Natural Resources

February 13, 2015 12:20 PM

Nova Scotians are invited to contribute their opinions on lifting the ban on Sunday hunting.

The Nova Scotia Wildlife Act states that, for the most part, no one is allowed to hunt on Sundays. The Mi'kmaq have the right to hunt on any day.

Lifting the ban would mean that anyone with the appropriate licence could hunt on Sundays during hunting season.

"In my travels across Nova Scotia, I've met various people who wish to discuss the prospect of Sunday hunting," said Zach Churchill, Minister of Natural Resources. "No decision has been made but the public consultation will provide further information about how Nova Scotians feel with regard to this issue."

Nova Scotians can access background information and the consultation questionnaire online at

www.novascotia.ca/natr/hunt/sunday

or by calling 902-424-7955.

The consultation period will be open from today, Feb. 13, until
midnight, Friday, April 10.

About 50,000 Nova Scotians hold hunting licences. Depending on the species, hunting season usually runs from early September to early December.

#3 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

Good on them to at least open the discussion. Not sure we will see a Sunday hunt but it's a step in the right direction. I'll vote for whoever lets me hunt on Sunday!!

#4 northpark

northpark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

x2 bud !

IMO Sunday hunting would be great for some folks who work a lot ! next year it is looking like i will be away working all of deer season except for approximately the last week ! that one day could mean getting a deer or not, maybe that day is the only one where the weather conditions are right for my stand.  In any event that is 7 days in the stand instead of 6.  New Brunswick has Sunday hunting during deer season, seems to be working out just fine there. i will be passing the word on to my friends who hunt here in NS !

#5 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

There is ample opportunity to leave comments on the survey.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#6 muised

muised

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

Get your non-hunting friends to support it too.

#7 TrueGrit

TrueGrit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSmith's Cove 2012

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

I filled it out as a big "YES"

#8 11750

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Down for a "Yes".. There is no really good reason that anyone can come with that it shouldn't be.. Bird watching/hiking doesn't count in my book.. Those activities can be done any time of the year... Where we get to wait all year for just a week or 2 of it in some cases.. Lives and Wives type of thing..    

#9 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5104 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

In with my yes and sharing the link with friends.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#10 harvey

harvey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

BIG YES HERE /no reason  we cant have it like rest of country.

#11 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

Yes, yes and another yes if i could vote on it, you can shop, gamble and drink on sundays why not hunt? Besides PEI (correct me if im wrong) we are the only other province who can not hunt sundays. Seems nova scotia is so far back in time its crazy.

#12 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

I voted yes and and forwarded the link to my hunting buddies

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#13 Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

I was going to say that I said NO to Sunday hunting but I didn't want to get booted out of here.LOL

All joking aside,I sure could use the extra time.I work lots of different shifts so an extra day along side Saturday sure would help.

IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHERE TO START,GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING

Weapons of choice Sako custom Deluxe 24" barrel 270cal. Mathews Switchback XT 70# bow   Barnett Ghost 410 Crossbow.

#14 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Two thumbs up from me and survey completed (yes vote for sure )I've worked the retail industry for 31 years now , and If  we have to work on sunday ,we should be able to hunt then as well . 

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#15 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1753 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for posting this link. Done and voted Yes of course!  Just forwarded to hunting buddies to fill out. 

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#16 Benson

Benson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

Since the topic is on the board what are people's reasons for yes or no? I voted yes but I am against seasons in general but interested in why people chose ya or na. Nothing personnel just curious.
So far I have heard work but do we need seasons? I've read a lot of posts and there are a lot hunters, trappers who are vary competent in what they do so do you feel you need to have a season? There is no right or wrong ( I certainly am not saying I have the right answer) but I believe as responsible hunters and trappers we should be able to make these decisions ...... And I guess that's what we are doing with the survey LOL!

#17 NewScotlander

NewScotlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

everyone reply to this......

this is a very old "debate"

look up any news paper article dealing with hunting on Sunday and you find the same old arguments for and against.........

even in the commentaries

as usual the *against* side is based on fear.........as is most anything against "guns" (ie legal gun owners)

They claim that if hunting is permitted on sunday then "normal" people wont even have one day of the week where they can go for a walk or hike in the woods without being  gunned down by the nearest red-neck, NRA-hat wearing, "gun-nut"  that will shoot at anything that moves..........

im not joking.... all of these things I have read

one article comes to mind....oh...give me a second

this one isnt about sunday hunting but shows pretty clearly that people fear hunters with guns or anyone in the forest with guns because guns are always in the hands of the nearest crazy person (good person + gun = crazy dangerous person)

http://www.capebreto...ainst-coyotes/1

this one is about sunday hunting.......check out the commentaries

http://thechronicleh...s-back-bad-idea

"Sunday is the only day that people living in rural areas can relax without worrying about someone lurking on their property with a loaded weapon. "

" so us non-hunters still have our day" (because you cant hike in the woods if there are hunters...we all shoot first, ask questions later)

"the lack of random gunfire on a Sunday"

"Millions in lost revenue? Don't let this party insult your intelligence. Fruitlessly wandering around the woods wasting tens of hours in lost production time isn't a benefit to anyone." - posted this one for its uniqueness...not based on fear.......has a bit of logic to it....... tries to balance the lost revenue from hunting fees with lost manhours all us lazy hunters should have spent working!  

some good comments on there on our side of the fence no doubt

im just saying 95% of the people that want to limit hunting and limit "gun rights" for good people base their logic on

1) fear propaganda

2) scapegoating

3) stereotyping

Im all for hunting.......fantasitic way to get out into the woods and *wasting manhours lowering our countrys GDP* (giggle)......that and getting closer to nature/god/ourselves, increasing our inner peace, being part of nature rather than at war with it like most humans...... we are all animals part of the same food chain and ecosystem.   Hunting and the culture that goes with it are both very good things for current and future generations (to the non hunter they wont "get this" but the hunter will....it is not a culture of violence but rather a culture of respect for nature and life, even if involves sometimes taking one, it inst about killing, it is about life, being part of it....conservation, ethics,  morality not the bloodlust some anti hunters seem to think we have).

As far as hunting on sunday goes it would be nice to be able to go in Friday evening and walk out Sunday without worrying about a "gun call" from worried folk seeing some guys walking out of the woods with trigger locked long guns in gun cases and some tents on their back.

So yeah, lets fill that out.......... if hunting is okay on day X it is surely okay on day Y also.

#18 Habitat

Habitat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

No. No.No.

Bad enough we have a new 2 deer limit...which in itself is slamming the deer population.  Combine that with essentially doubling the time afield for the average hunter, and it s recipe for even more deer to be eradicated.  Hunter effort is a measurable quantity.  Hunt twice as much and you double your chances of getting your deer, two in this case.  Success rate will increase dramatically, and deer herd numbers will tumble.

Bad idea...unless they drop the 2 deer limit.  Then, and only then, I would support Sunday Hunting.

#19 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:28 AM

Habitat really!Bad idea unless they drop the two deer limit.So its ok solong as we dont harvest two!I do like the opportunity sunday hunting will provide my friends who have limited time due to work constraints.Although I also feel that a day of hunting rest isnt a bad thing either but in reality it is my favorite day to get things done in the woods preparing for the week ahead without much other human activity about.I think this goverment is atleast being more proactive in moving this forward than what we ve seen in the past,and hats off to Premier McNeil for this as he has told me that this goverment was committed to moving this forward.there are many pros and cons for this and can be debated till the cows come home,we re all stuck on our opinions and nothing said at this point is going to change that,i say get on with er and move this province outta the the past and move forward .
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#20 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:45 AM

No. No.No.

Bad enough we have a new 2 deer limit...which in itself is slamming the deer population.  Combine that with essentially doubling the time afield for the average hunter, and it s recipe for even more deer to be eradicated.  Hunter effort is a measurable quantity.  Hunt twice as much and you double your chances of getting your deer, two in this case.  Success rate will increase dramatically, and deer herd numbers will tumble.

Bad idea...unless they drop the 2 deer limit.  Then, and only then, I would support Sunday Hunting.

The hunters of NS are not entitled to kill 2 deer each season, Habitat - we don't have a 2 deer limit. You may wish to read over the Wildlife Act and / or your little Summary Booklet for clarification. If you still haven't figured it out yet, call DNR for an explanation on just how the seasons are structured now. But again, not a 2 deer limit for hunters of NS. That's just bad info to be delivering!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users