#1 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

We all know most of the find a hunt ends due to darkness and no shot was taken. I've read a few things people do but what do you do with your ml after a hunt. Obviously take out the primer;)

#2 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

At the end of the day (before leaving my hunting spot) the primer comes out. Then when I get home I'll back the breach plug out and empty the black powder and push the sabot out. Then I'll run a couple of dry patches through. Some leave the powder or pellets along with the bullet in the barrel.  Nothing wrong with that but I like to make sure the barrel is clean and dry before the next day. 

Also, I will run dry patches through my regular rifles after a day of hunting as well.   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#3 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Magoo1. I should have mentioned I'm using White Hots, even though everyone told me not to ;). I'm guessing I could push those out or maybe they'll break up some? Hopefully I'll get the one I'm waiting on first sit and then I won't need to worry about all if this!

#4 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2332 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

At the end of the day (before leaving my hunting spot) the primer comes out. Then when I get home I'll back the breach plug out and empty the black powder and push the sabot out. Then I'll run a couple of dry patches through. Some leave the powder or pellets along with the bullet in the barrel.  Nothing wrong with that but I like to make sure the barrel is clean and dry before the next day. 

Also, I will run dry patches through my regular rifles after a day of hunting as well.   

That was one thing I liked about the TC triumph that I owner . pull the breach plug and remove the pellets then push the sabot out a couple patches and the gun was clean .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#5 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

novacam -  My buddy uses White Hots and likes them so much he doesn't want to try BP so whatever you're comfortable with.

Actually you don't need to push out the White Hots. Just remove the breach plug and they will slide out without any pushing, The plug is the only thing holding them in so they won't break up. To test it just take your breach plug out and drop a White Hot down the barrel and cover the other end with your hand to catch them.  But to remove your bullet you'll need to run your push rod down the barrel until it seats over the bullet head and just push the bullet out the remaining few inches. Then run a patch or two down it after getting home from a days hunt.    

Not sure which ML you have but this method works on the barrels of both my CVA Wolf and CVA Accura MR.

A lot of people use White Hots or Triple 7 pellets but I prefer Black Powder as it burns cleaner. 

#6 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

That was one thing I liked about the TC triumph that I owner . pull the breach plug and remove the pellets then push the sabot out a couple patches and the gun was clean .

Just noticed your post Rembolt  - you beat me to it.  :)

#7 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Thanks again Magoo1, I will just let them fall out the easy way. Looking forward to getting out in a few weeks.

#8 2547-removed

2547-removed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

I just take the primer out, put in a trigger lock and store my ML with a piece of red tape over the muzzle to keep me reminded that it has a charge of powder and bullet.  Last season it went 2 weeks that way, but if I were using those corrosive pellets like Pyrodex, 777 or Whitehots,  I would completely unload every time (big pain in the butt).  I have read that they absorb water quickly.  I just dumped out a pound of Pyrodex powder, I don't want it anywhere near my new ML, nothing but Blackhorn 209 for me.

#9 grabbers

grabbers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

I spent my first ML season fire info off the sabot before coming down from the Stand. That was allot of cleaning and money in shot and powder.

Seeing as I only hunt the weekends and the odd Fridays now I leave her loaded, minus the primer, and put a finger condom around the muzzle.

#10 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

We all know most of the find a hunt ends due to darkness and no shot was taken. I've read a few things people do but what do you do with your ml after a hunt. Obviously take out the primer;)

It is important to abide by the law of the land - the Firearms Act and the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.

If you read the regulations, the question of what one should do with their muzzleloader after a hunt will become pretty clear.

INTERPRETATION
1. The definitions in this section apply in these Regulations.
“unloaded”
“unloaded”, in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. (non chargée)

<http://laws-lois.jus...page-1.html#h-1>

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
    •    10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
    ◦    (a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and
    ◦    (b ) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
    •    (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
    ◦    (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
    ◦    (b ) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
    •    (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
    ◦    (a) is not visible; and
    ◦    (b ) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

<http://laws-lois.jus...page-4.html#h-8>

STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
    •    5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    ◦    (a) it is unloaded;
    ◦    (b ) it is
    ▪    (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
    ▪    (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
    ▪    (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    ◦    (c ) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
    •    (2) Paragraph (1)(b ) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
    •    (3) Paragraphs (1)(b ) and (c ) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

<http://laws-lois.jus...page-2.html#h-3>

#11 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

This exactly what I will be doing, clear it out at the end of the day.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#12 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

This exactly what I will be doing, clear it out at the end of the day.

For years the best way to ensure you have a good load is to eliminate any chance of moisture. It can happen as easily as warm truck cab, cold outside, back inside, etc. With the new equipment it has never been easier to unload. I unload every night. The powder, and bullet/sabot go in a separate bin for the range the following year, new stuff every day, primer included.

#13 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

For years the best way to ensure you have a good load is to eliminate any chance of moisture. It can happen as easily as warm truck cab, cold outside, back inside, etc. With the new equipment it has never been easier to unload. I unload every night. The powder, and bullet/sabot go in a separate bin for the range the following year, new stuff every day, primer included.

Good idea. Might as well have the unused stuff for the hunt. Good tip.

#14 leftygirl

leftygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

I always store mine empty and nothing but Blackhorn 209 for me. I bought some pellets a couple of weeks ago just to try them out and what a mess they made of my barrel after firing just two shots at the range. No more pellets!

#15 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Just wondering if the sabot can be reused for hunting, I can see the imprint of the rifling on it, is it ok to use again?

Just my .02 cents, no charge......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users