20 replies to this topic

#1 RunNGun

RunNGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Just got off the phone with the Musq. Hrbr. DNR office. I tried to book the range for tommorrow & was informed that it is closed until further notice :angry: . Apparently there are lots of noise complaints about this range & the squeaky wheel seems to be gettin' the grease. The person I spoke to thinks it may be in the minister's hands already. If the area around the range is too populated I think they should make another near the airport off the 102 highway so people from Dartmouth & the surrounding areas don't have to drive 85 - 100 kms to find a range. They just keep making it harder for us to enjoy and attract new people to our sport!
Matt

#2 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Just got off the phone with the Musq. Hrbr. DNR office. I tried to book the range for tommorrow & was informed that it is closed until further notice :angry: . Apparently there are lots of noise complaints about this range & the squeaky wheel seems to be gettin' the grease. The person I spoke to thinks it may be in the minister's hands already. If the area around the range is too populated I think they should make another near the airport off the 102 highway so people from Dartmouth & the surrounding areas don't have to drive 85 - 100 kms to find a range. They just keep making it harder for us to enjoy and attract new people to our sport!
Matt

Times 2 - I brought this up with Mike Pollard, president of the federation and he is on it as well.

#3 devonthemack

devonthemack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yeah I wouldn't mind a range a bit closer to the city. Still though, until they get it sorted out its a bit of a bummer for anyone needing to sight in a gun.

#4 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hasn't this range taken heat before?
Been re-done with huge burms n stuff?

#5 kendog

kendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Valley

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

another range closer to town would be swell, mine is too busy.

#6 birdslayer

birdslayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore N.S.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Sounds about right, Government spends a bunch of money re-building the range and one tree-hugger can shut it down. Maybe they didn't notice it when they moved in next door!

#7 WrenchBender

WrenchBender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Sounds about right, Government spends a bunch of money re-building the range and one tree-hugger can shut it down. Maybe they didn't notice it when they moved in next door!

X2

#8 RunNGun

RunNGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hasn't this range taken heat before?
Been re-done with huge burms n stuff?

You're right KPR this range is/was the new "bunker style". I don't think it would be much louder than someone working around the yard with a chainsaw, building a shed, putting on a new roof, etc. I think it's just a case of "not in my backyard" kind of thinking.

#9 trip43

trip43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

I wonder what it would take to get the old DNR range/pit in Waverly reopen ,it was out there at the Fall River Exit on the way to the Airport from Dartmouth .It was convenient and there still are not a lot of homes near it to complain .

#10 Cranky Pants

Cranky Pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Legalize silencers-problem solved

Ya right, we'll be lucky to keep what we have now!

#11 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I wonder what it would take to get the old DNR range/pit in Waverly reopen ,it was out there at the Fall River Exit on the way to the Airport from Dartmouth .It was convenient and there still are not a lot of homes near it to complain .

It is too close to homes, believe it or not -

#12 Darcy

Darcy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Locationnear Halifax International Airport

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Legalize silencers-problem solved

Ya right, we'll be lucky to keep what we have now!

Just reading an article in Guns and Ammo magazine, seems they are pretty much standard fare in most of Europe, and actually recommended in some areas, to stem noise compaints. And they are soooo cool! Even if we couldn't use them hunting, they'd be great for range time.

www.darcyhooverphotos.ca

Buy my novel, it's awesome!  http://amzn.to/2FZGm0R

#13 Darcy

Darcy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Locationnear Halifax International Airport

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Another idea....

In Toronto many moons ago we had numerous noise complaints that almost shut down the air ambulance helicopter. It turned out to be one lady complaining, so they set up decible metres all around her house/area. Turned out the helicopter flying overhead put out far less noise than Highway 401 road noise which she resided right beside. Never had another complaint. Might not be a bad idea to set out some decible metres at the compaint area, fire off a few calibers at the range and get some numbers, then compare those with a truck driving by for instance, and I'm sure there's standard acceptable neighborhood noise level numbers out there somewhere. Hard to argue with facts once you have them in hand.

www.darcyhooverphotos.ca

Buy my novel, it's awesome!  http://amzn.to/2FZGm0R

#14 OneShot 30.06

OneShot 30.06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Times 2 - I brought this up with Mike Pollard, president of the federation and he is on it as well.

I, as well wrote to the councillor to express my concerns about the benefits of keeping this range open....now it's refurbished as a " bunker " style of range.
Guess it gets muddier as the latest scoop is it being closed. Sheesh.

#15 marsh monster

marsh monster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Harbour

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

I have just sent an email to the local MLA Sid Prest. Please voice your concerns with him via phone, letter, or email. He will have a lot of input in the matter. The people who use this location have to get the word out that it is an important and vital peice of our community. The rural residents of this province have to be able to maintain our culture and heritage, and not be bullied by the wishes of folks who do not take part in it.
Please contact Mr. Prest with your concerns.

#16 birddawg

birddawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just emailed Sid Prest and my MLA, Keith Colwell. Frustrating to have to keep fighting the same battle over and over. Reminds me of the Morris Lake boat launch!

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom. - Chief Sitting Bull

#17 Fender45

Fender45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

Matt

100% agree....i was thinking of joining the gun club down in New Minas but it would be nice to have some Public Rifle ranges closer to the City, Nova Scotia doesn't seem like a very friendly Province for shooting sports at all.

#18 kendog

kendog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Valley

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Nova Scotia isn't much for anything except keeping the poor man poor.

#19 RunNGun

RunNGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Huntwisely, are you aware if the Federation has made any headway on this? The other thread on this topic states that there haven been many complaints about the closing - time to change that!
Matt

#20 RunNGun

RunNGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Thought I'd bring this thread back with all the talk on the subject lately. Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users