#2 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

Just an accidental catch.

Are we going to shut the higways down whenever an animal is injured by a vehical?

#3 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

He won't last long anyways...the lead got him F**ed already !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#4 dreamwaters

dreamwaters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

You're a bad bad man Kevin... But I laughed a quarter cup of tea out my nose, so I must be pretty evil too!
"When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him."

#5 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

:lol:  :lol:

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11402 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

Accidental catch yes but why was the trap not properly secured. If it was they would have had him released safely long ago

I know I would not be feeling very happy right now if I was the trapper and could have done better for sure making sure my trap was still where it should be

Funny how we think .Lose an eagle in a trap it is an accident and OK  lose one from a gut pile it is a major issue and 1000's have to change what they have done for generations

Killing an animal on a highway is not the same since no we cannot stop traffic or vehicle movement but there would not be trapping accidents if there was no trapping where eagles soar and really would the general public be effected not at all in fact they would support that big time

I will leave that one for a addition to the eagle doc's next presentation

Then again I heard he weighed 78 pounds from all the lead he ate from 130g bullets which is why the trap broke free ;)

Cheers

#7 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

From the size / style of the trap, it was probably a martin set and the eagle flew down to the bait. I doubt that it was feeding on an already trapped animal.

I watch Mountain Men...and ol' Tom...now HE's a responsible trapper!...He puts his martin sets in what he says are old plastic mailboxes which stops the by-catch of other animals that come to the bait...such as this eagle.

:P

Seriously, though...It's a sad circumstance from all points-of-view.

NOBODY wants to see this kind of thing happen.

Your True 'Ethics'...are what you do when you think no one sees you.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11402 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

From the size / style of the trap, it was probably a martin set and the eagle flew down to the bait. I doubt that it was feeding on an already trapped animal.

I watch Mountain Men...and ol' Tom...now HE's a responsible trapper!...He puts his martin sets in what he says are old plastic mailboxes which stops the by-catch of other animals that come to the bait...such as this eagle.

:P

Seriously, though...It's a sad circumstance from all points-of-view.

NOBODY wants to see this kind of thing happen.

Agree none of us want to see this kind of thing happen but for sure there are those that are against trapping that will use it to the fullest

Cheers

#9 JohnHope

JohnHope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

Bob,

Completely off topic, but my oldest daughter and I watch Mountain Men together and Tom is her favorite.

I know nothing about trapping, but is the way he traps with the mailboxes actually a good idea?  I always thought it was, but could not tell from your post if you were making fun of him or not.

John

#10 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

I have no idea, John. I don't trap either.

The first part of that post was (somewhat) in jest...

We're damned if we do...damned if we don't...someone will ALWAYS find fault.

We can only do our best to be as quick and proficient and humane as we can possibly be.

Absolute fact...Chit happens.

#11 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

Most marten trappers at least in Canada use a box of some sort.We are mandated to use killing traps on Marten and the box both protects the bait and aligns the animal for a near perfect strike. Some use mailboxes and some make wooden boxes.Different manufacturers have different size traps lol go figure.

The bird of prey factor is exactly why it is illegal to set a trap or snare within 50m of any bait that can be seen from the air in NS and yet we still get the occasional bird that smells the bait and comes to investigate. Crows and ravens are the most common but it is not exclusive to them.

There is a saying in the trapping world " set for a mouse and secure for a moose" No one can control 100% of the time what gets in their traps but it is totally inexcusable for any animal to break a trap free.

#12 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

A common set for foxes years ago in Northern Quebec was to attach a pair of traps to a wooden clog about 4 feet long. Bed the traps on any Knoll and place chopped up beaver meat all around. It was a deadly set for foxes but it took a number of crows as  well. No eagles up there in the winter.

The trap on that eagle looks like a similar size trap. Leg hold traps set for Mink traps are normally set close to water so they drown or else body grippers are used in a box of some sort.

Looks to me like the eagle got caught in someone's fox or coyote trap and managed to break the securing wire. Not hard when a single strand of tie wire is used to secure a trap. I use 1/8" cable to secure all my traps, never had one break yet. Had a otter by the tail once in a body gripper and you can bet that put the wire to the test but he was still there. Took a lot of work to wash the mud from his fur but he was still there

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11402 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Most marten trappers at least in Canada use a box of some sort.We are mandated to use killing traps on Marten and the box both protects the bait and aligns the animal for a near perfect strike. Some use mailboxes and some make wooden boxes.Different manufacturers have different size traps lol go figure.

The bird of prey factor is exactly why it is illegal to set a trap or snare within 50m of any bait that can be seen from the air in NS and yet we still get the occasional bird that smells the bait and comes to investigate. Crows and ravens are the most common but it is not exclusive to them.

There is a saying in the trapping world " set for a mouse and secure for a moose" No one can control 100% of the time what gets in their traps but it is totally inexcusable for any animal to break a trap free.

Well said wayne my feelings also and yes I did trap years ago and never had one break free. In fact still have a large roll of the 1/8" stranded cable which now is used to hold up tomatoes ;)

#14 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Sorry guys... :(

Wasn't trying to be an SOB... :unsure:

Just goin' off the TV...so I know more than you do... !!  ;)  :o  :lol:  :lol:

Like MOST people do these days.... :P  :lol:  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users