MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hey guys,

Need your fellows help with picking out a muzzleloader for myself. I'm completely new to it. I had no intentions in buying one for this year after I bought a new Hoyt bow but here I am. A separated shoulder after a dirt bike crash says I won't be shooting too many arrows this year. So I'm looking at purchasing a muzzleloader and still be able to enjoy some of the early deer season. I'd spend up to about $600 give or take on one, but nothing too crazy. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

#2 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

You will no doubt get lots of opinions... mine included... but I'd encourage you to shoulder any you are considering to see how they fit before buying one.

I have a CVA Optima V2 .50cal in stainless and black synthetic, my son has a CVA Wolf .50cal in stainless and black synthetic. Both are amazingly accurate, and reasonably priced. We love them both. The Wolf is a couple inches shorter, but that doesn't seem to affect accuracy any compared to my Optima's longer barrel. If I were buying my first muzzy I think I'd go with the Wolf, and put the money saved into accessories and bullets/sabots/powder.

I would encourage you to consider stainless over blued, due to how dirty muzzleloaders are compared to smokeless. Another reason I like the Wolf is that you can order after market wood or wood composite stocks thru Boyd's Stocks. The only thing I don't like about our CVA's are the synthetic stocks, they work fine but I far prefer wood personally. I think a stainless CVA with a salt & pepper laminate Boyd's stock would be sweet. So far though they are only offering stocks for the Wolf.

Be prepared to spend a fair chunk of change on accessories, if you are new to muzzleloading. There is a fair bit of gear you will need to pick up, and it adds up quick. You'll also want to consider a scope, although some come in a kit form with a scope included.

I ordered my Optima from Lake Huron Rod & Gun in Ontario. They had one in stock, the price was excellent, and they were fantastic to deal with. I bought a Durasight scope mount and Busnell Trophy XT 3-9x40mm ML scope from Hnatiuks and mounted them on it. We got my son's Wolf at Hnatiuks, and they were excellent to deal with as well. His Wolf came as a kit, including a CVA logo case, Durasight one piece scope mount, and a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm scope including scope mounting and bore sighting.

I'm sure you will be pleased with whatever you decide upon. We both enjoy shooting our muzzies more than our centerfires now, and tend to carry them hunting most days even during regular season.

Best of luck, and I'm sure you will not regret getting into muzzleloading. If anything it has gotten us more interested in shooting and just heading to the range to make some smoke & noise.     

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

I have a Thompson center impact and highly recommend it. I bought it at Al Flaherty's in Toronto. Bought a Nikon inline xr scope, warne maxima base and QD rings. Very accurate with the loads I have tried in it.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#4 Hellraiser

Hellraiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationAmherst

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

My go to ML is a Traditions pursuit, leupold vx2, 2x triple seven pellets, 250gr bullet. Super accurate when I do my part. 1 shot 1 kill each of the last 3 years.
Some don't like traditions. But mine has worked perfectly for me.
As stated above. Shoulder two or three different brands. I love the look of cva's, but they didn't shoulder right for me.
Good luck!!

#5 Ken.P

Ken.P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

What loads do you use for the TC Impact nomad?

I have a Thompson center impact and highly recommend it. I bought it at Al Flaherty's in Toronto. Bought a Nikon inline xr scope, warne maxima base and QD rings. Very accurate with the loads I have tried in it.

Life begets death and death begets life.

#6 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

What loads do you use for the TC Impact nomad?

I have settled on 95 gr of blackthorn 209 , hornady 250 gr sst and sabot with cci. 209 magnum primers .
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#7 MacDonald450

MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. I've been looking on online at them all day. Called Hnatiuks' and they have the CVA wolf in stock. So I might see if they can bring it to the outdoor show in a few weeks so I can have a look. Bass Pro seem to have a good deal on the Optima V2 as compared to Cabelas.

‚Äčhttp://www.basspro.c...uct/1306041054/

Only looking at about $500 shipped to my door so it's an option. Or maybe that's in USD.

#8 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

I'm pretty sure all BPS prices are in USD, even when you go to their 'Canadian' site.

They will definitely have some at the Hunting Show coming up in Truro. I know Hnatiuks and LeQuille are supposed to be there with quite a few guns, and they are supposed to be show special deals. I'd email them both and ask them to make sure they bring whatever brand ML's they carry.

I just checked LHRG's website and they have CVA Optima V2 kits for $529, and with open sights for $389. CVA Wolf kits are $389, and $289 for stainless with open sights. Shipping to my door was under $30, and I had it in a week. If Canada Post goes on strike, courier fees would likely be more.

If you do get a CVA, regardless of model, be sure to get the extra breech plug designed for loose powder (BH209 breech plug) as the stock BP is designed to work best with pellets. They are $30.

Good luck & have fun!   

#9 MacDonald450

MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Went to check out a few muzzleloaders today, man that CVA Acurra with the thumbhole stock is some nice, hard to go back to anything after getting the feel for that. Little pricey but it'd probably be worth it. CVA wolf there also with scope for about $520. 

#10 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

I have a T/C Impact and its a good ML, and accurate as well

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#11 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Went to check out a few muzzleloaders today, man that CVA Acurra with the thumbhole stock is some nice, hard to go back to anything after getting the feel for that. Little pricey but it'd probably be worth it. CVA wolf there also with scope for about $520. 

Lots of good ML's out there. I started with a CVA Wolf then bought a CVA Accura MR in cammo with Bergara barrel from Young Guns 2 years ago. You're right a little pricey but definitely worth it. If I had to do it all over again I would spend the extra first time around and buy the Accura MR.   Accura V2 is a fine rifle too but the MR is 2" shorter and a little lighter. All about preferences I guess.    

https://www.google.c...r2N9pEFOeyvpoM:

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#12 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

CVA Accura.V2

#13 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

I've got a CVA optima (stainless with the thumbhole stock ) and i love hunting with it (took a good 6pt with it last year).They're a lot of fun to hunt with .

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#14 MacDonald450

MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

I've got a CVA optima (stainless with the thumbhole stock ) and i love hunting with it (took a good 6pt with it last year).They're a lot of fun to hunt with .

Where abouts did you get your Optima with the thumbhole stock BP? Optima is a bit cheaper then the Accura and it would be awesome to have that stock.

#15 MacDonald450

MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

Well guys I made the call. Shouldered a few different CVA's and a few Traditions. As soon as I picked up the thumbhole stock CVA Accura I knew I was going to get that one. The Optima was significantly cheaper so I got the Optima V2 Thumbhole stock on cabelas. I think I'll really like it.

http://www.cabelas.c...cope?CatId=2542

#16 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

I Have a T.C. pro hunter and find it a very good gun

Also like that you have an option to purchase rifle barrels for them

You can have a muzzle loader for early season switch to the rifle barrel of your choice and when deer seasons over put you coyote barrel and go

good luck     

#17 Mercer

Mercer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

I have settled on 95 gr of blackthorn 209 , hornady 250 gr sst and sabot with cci. 209 magnum primers .

Hey Nomad,

Have you found any issues with the CCI magnum primers? I purchased a box and had several misfires and hang fires. I mentioned this to the retailer and he said another customer had recently made the same complaint. Might have just been a bad batch?

#18 Mercer

Mercer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Well guys I made the call. Shouldered a few different CVA's and a few Traditions. As soon as I picked up the thumbhole stock CVA Accura I knew I was going to get that one. The Optima was significantly cheaper so I got the Optima V2 Thumbhole stock on cabelas. I think I'll really like it.

http://www.cabelas.c...cope?CatId=2542

Great choice,

I have the Optima V2 as well, the gun has worked great for me over the last few seasons.

Hope you enjoy,

#19 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hey Nomad,
Have you found any issues with the CCI magnum primers? I purchased a box and had several misfires and hang fires. I mentioned this to the retailer and he said another customer had recently made the same complaint. Might have just been a bad batch?

Not a glitch here but mine are a couple of seasons old now. Bought 300 when I bought the impact. Sounds like a bad batch.

#20 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Congratulations! A warning, these things can become addictive.

I use both CCI Mag and Win W209 (blue box) primers with BH209, and previously with Triple Seven powder, without issue. I'd contact the company with the lot # off your primer box and report your troubles, there may be a problem from the factory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users