#41 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Tim !!

BTW....Soooooo...what did you steal, annnnd what did you do for supper to go with it..LOL

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#42 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

Venison tenderloin, mushrooms, onion, peppers, honey ginger sauce over fusilier pasta.
Stolen honey from the hives up the road a piece.
Dang tasty
can i go hunting yet??

#43 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

The wife makes hot pepper jelly every year
She spreads it over cream cheese on crackers

My sister in-law grew me some ghost peppers last season . 4 x hotter than a habinaro  pepper.  I made up a jar from 32 peppers. Its good. This year she grew me Carolina reapers 4 x hotter then the ghost pepper. Have not tried them yet.

As hot as the ghost peppers are I can just taste a little hot and mostly a sweet taste. . Apparently my taste buds are shot!!

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#44 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:45 AM

^^^ LOL ^^^^....likely all those years eatin road kill and drinking shine....lmao 

Bet a little bit of that stuff would be good added to chicken wing sauce...or hot nachos !!

Does she grow the peppers outdoors steve ?

...I tried them 8 or 9 yrs ago...(habinaro)..nothing came of them at all. Figured my soil was no good or we're too close to the salt water to grow em.

Gonna have to try again next year I guess. Maybe the ghost ones ;)

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#45 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Kevin they were grown in Ottawa Outside. Weather here they will most likely never grow here.

Ghost pepper plant was about 6 ' tall 300-400 peppers she said.

Reaper .... she didn't said how tall  but had 150 peppers.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#46 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

Ahhhhhh...NO wonder I couldn't get em to grow !!

#47 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Well, another pickling season pretty well in the books for us !

Since last Friday we've been at this constantly. Normally start 630 ish and go till supper time...the odd time going beyond.

Don't know how my wife puts up with it (( ME.. LOL )) esp doing the same thing every year...annnnd, all she likes is the strawberry jam !!!! ohmy.png  laugh.png

Took her for breaky Sunday morning, then made a run to Withrow's and filled the trunk. happy.png

" Soooo, THAT'S why you took me out for breakfast " she said...lmao rolleyes.gif

..gawwwd love her. She washed the same big bowls, 3 different stock pots, ladel spoon, wooden spoons, funnel, and measuring cups and spoons 100 times. Finally, around 9:30 Sunday night we finished what we were doing...lol

I got a few more stragglers to do up, but the big crunch of it is done !

Think I'm going to try some more dilled baby carrots and definitely more dilled string beans....possibly a few more beets and one more batch of B&B pickles.

The way my family enjoys them, I'd say I'll be doing a few more of em for sure  wink.png

Got my marmalade, blueberry and strawberry jams done...8 batches total.

24 - 250 ml bottles and 12 - 500 ml bottles 

18 bottles of beets done, ( 6 more to do)

16 bottles of mustard pickles (summers end chow)

12 bottles of B & B pickles [ 24 more bottles for my DIL's dad rolleyes.giftongue.png]  ( 8 more to do)

16 - 1L bottles of dill pickles...12 - 750 ml dill pickles...4 - 500 ml, and a few 500's of carrots 

16 bottles of green tomato chow.

8 bottles of sweet mix ( onions / pickles / yellow peppers )

Sunday after we came back from Withrow's, we did 12 bottles of beets and 16 bottles of mustard pickles for my neice too...lol

The house never smells soooo good as it does in chow season !!!

#48 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

Kevin your bringing back alit of ole memories from younger days reading what you've bottled, wifey doesn't bottle anything and I sure as hell miss it , my Grandmother's pickled and bottled everything including Polish sausage , eggs and kielbassa , had enough preserves to last the winter growing up , gets me thinking might start it myself now
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#49 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

Kevin your bringing back alit of ole memories from younger days reading what you've bottled, wifey doesn't bottle anything and I sure as hell miss it , my Grandmother's pickled and bottled everything including Polish sausage , eggs and kielbassa , had enough preserves to last the winter growing up , gets me thinking might start it myself now

I did some eggs and polish last year and will be doing more this year. Not much just two bottles of each

Finding 1 gallon jars was just about impossible so if you are going to do it start looking for them now at least that was my experience

Cheers

#50 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

The old man used to say..."Ya can't beat the beats"....lol

I still tell that to the grand kids wink.png

#51 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

3mac
How many more of them gallon bottles do you want?? I've got a source in a restaurant and they just toss them out
can i go hunting yet??

#52 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

3mac
How many more of them gallon bottles do you want?? I've got a source in a restaurant and they just toss them out

Thank you for the kind offer but I am OK now

I did exactly as you say and had a restaurant in sydney save me some over 6-8 months . I have 10 stashed now plus the four which will do me but they were not something I had an easy time finding

Cheers

#53 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

I did some eggs and polish last year and will be doing more this year. Not much just two bottles of each
Finding 1 gallon jars was just about impossible so if you are going to do it start looking for them now at least that was my experience
 Cheers

Just got some off my nieghbor who owns a restraunt here in Sydney , asked him this afternoon when he came home and brought me 1/2 dozen all washed and cleaned , be looking for my grand mother's recipe for polish , keilbassa and eggs from my aunt , so guess I'll be giving it a try myself , mmmmm gonna be good snackn in late fall
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#54 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:12 AM

Pickling season is here !!!!!!

Time to revive this thread...LOL

Got a great start on friday afternoon...first three batches of B & B pickles done. Yesterday we got 4 more batches done...B & B are FINNITO for 2020 !!

Just finished peeling 9 garlic bulbs for todays task...my dill pickles !!

I have a 4 1/2 yr old helper today...she loves my dill pickles and she wanted me to show her how it's done. She's gotta help me get the dill outta my garden later on..prep the heads, then she can add the fresh heads, garlic and the rest of the dry ingredients to the jars. 

She definitely wants more string beans and baby carrots dilled...all the girls absolutely love them !!

What about the rest of you guys/gals...anything started yet ??? 

please chime in so the rest of us can stay tuned.......

#55 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2536 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

did up some mustard beans yesterday - 1st time for me doing them so see how they turn out.

did some refrigerator style B&B pickles a cpl weeks ago - lots of demand for those.LOL. And did up some beets same day - always shove a cpl cinammon sticks in some of the jars just to mix things up. Should have another crop of beets ready to harvest in a few weeks.

Also, did up a bunch of sweet cherry preserve a few weeks back when the price (of cherries) wasnt too bad.

#56 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

Gary...do you mash and simmer/boil the cherries for just the juice, or do you use the pulp too ?? 

#57 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

Christ I have to have something to pickle first. At least three weeks from even getting beans and carrots are pee wee. Cucumbers might be 1" long

Beets another month

Cheers

#58 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2536 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

Gary...do you mash and simmer/boil the cherries for just the juice, or do you use the pulp too ?? 

yep - boil

yep- use the pulp

its a preserve recipe so not a jam or jelly. Use it for topping on yogurt, ice cream, oatmeal, etc.

here's the recipe - we didnt use as much sugar, as in recipe, cause the cherries were super sweet. 

https://www.food.com...reserves-121105

#59 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:28 AM

Thanks Gary !! Printed it off this morning.

#60 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

My grand daughter and I just finished the last of my Dill Pickles 20 mins ago. made it a 2 day job (extra sleep overs are great wub.png wub.png ...plus, ...I ran out of pickling cukes rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif  so I went and grabbed another 20 lb this morning. We got 38.. 1 liter bottles done and 6...500 mils for this year !!

Hopefully should be enuff to keep the "dill wolves" at bay  wink.png wink.png

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....but it's hot doin this stuff wacko.png

next will be my blueberry jam, then one of my favs with fish cakes..my green tomato chow, wub.png I usually do 10 - 500 mils (2 batches),

then it'll be onto my beets  20-25 lb..then some dill baby carrots and string beans...prolly a case of 500's .and lastly my mustard chow (we've always called them pickles) but David G told me that he knows it as "years end chow"...makes perfect sense to use up...what ever was left in the gardens at that time of year {{ cukes, onions, cauliflower, green & red peppers and the spices}}

It's also one of the favorite staple's all year long for me & the clan.

My kitchen reeks of fresh dill...can't get a much better deodorizer...LOL 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)