#101 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:16 AM

Joe..on several occasions, I've found a few bottles of different stuff that were made 2 yrs before(gr. tomato chow, jams, jellies, beets, Dill and mustard pickles, B & B pickles...almost every thing I make at one time or another...and in one case 3 yrs old (sweet mix pickles, bread & butter and blackberry jelly)...all was the finest kind...dill's are awesome when aged 2 yrs !!

My mustard pickles tend to get a little dark on the surface when left for more than 16-18 months...it only runs about a half inch deep...I just scoop out a couple of TBSP from the top, and it good to go ( there's no difference at all in taste with the darker stuff...just a cosmetic thing I guess) definitely no worse than the first spoonful from the old parafin wax sealed jars that I grew up with from the 60's  tongue.png tongue.png

Thanks. I have used them after 2 years no problem but some of the jams and jellies may go three and still look good so I hate to toss them rest after two I toss them normally

I am the only one left in the house that still will eat anything like this other than some jelly so 12 bottles of pickles for example I cannot eat in a year and only have so many to give them away to now with 99% of family and friends either dead or moved away

Once one stops working and you get sick your circle gets real small I have found also

Thanks for the feedback and yes I remember the wax well sad.png

Cheers

#102 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Bottles are hard to find this year !! Annnd they're up a couple of bucks a case too !!

GB..do you plant your own dill weed ?? If not...DO IT !...Get the "Mammoth Dill" seed and plant it...it'll grow 3-5 ft high...almost effortlessly. Annnnnnd, if a few heads are left there, it'll self seed....sometimes almost too much...it will get dispersed everywhere in the garden. 

I use the dill heads and fresh dill fern (top and bottom of each jar),1 - 2 gloves of garlic, dill seeds and dry dill in every one of my dill pickle jars. I dry my own fern every year too then crush it up (dry dill weed)....I always let some dill stand and go to seed. When completely dried up and brown, I harvest it and take all the seed off the heads and put it in a bottle for next years crop. This year I used some of my first home grown garlic in my dill stuff....it looked awesome ! Thinking on trying some of the garlic scapes in them next season.

I planted dill first time this year its almost 3' tall lol i'm going to dehydrate all the herbs this year its cheaper to buy complete bottles then just lids fopr the mason jars lol prices are increasing, everything is goin up its unreal the price gouging.

#103 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:22 PM

The gouging it not right but what can we do

I am finding most stuff up 22-25% min some more and for no reason a lot of it

I seen bottles this year for 15.99 a box. I will do a lot of scrubbing on some old ones I have here before I pay that

Cheers

#104 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin! I will be planting dill next year.

We did finally find some dill seed, but a lot of places don't even stock it, and those that did were out.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#105 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin! I will be planting dill next year.

We did finally find some dill seed, but a lot of places don't even stock it, and those that did were out.

If you need other herb or veggie seeds

We sell quite a few herbs in the greenhouse as transplants dill included and I always get my seeds for all the herbs from these guys vs vessy etc

Way bigger packs and better pricing

They still have the dill Kevin talks about in the small 400 seed packs for 1.89

I normally get enough different herb stuff to make the shipping costs worthwhile since we buy a few 100 bucks worth normally but their shipping is still cheap and a fixed rate of 2.95 for up to maybe 10 packs of seeds ( but I could be wrong on the 10) 

Small mom and pop shop out of new brunswick which I get excellent germination rates out of their seeds and organic seed to boot

Cheers

https://www.rainbows...e/c5/Herbs.html

#106 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1797 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:54 AM

I planted dill first time this year its almost 3' tall lol i'm going to dehydrate all the herbs this year its cheaper to buy complete bottles then just lids fopr the mason jars lol prices are increasing, everything is goin up its unreal the price gouging.

Lids are at the dollar store, the rings are crazy expensive but we check the thrift stores and buy bottles and rings there usually for $0.25 each. We stopped by a yard sale and they had 2 big boxes of jars and another box full of other supplies, $10 and we had it all. We even found a box of bottles in an antique type store.
can i go hunting yet??

#107 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the info 3macs1 !

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#108 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 02 September 2020 - 02:29 PM

THXS Joe i just ordered some seeds from them to try.

#109 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 02 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

THXS Joe i just ordered some seeds from them to try.

Cool. They have been great people to deal with

Quick to ship, good prices and nice sized packages

Was shipping still 2.95???

Take care

#110 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

This morning, we just finished the last of 18 bottles of mustard pickles (years end chow) 

No better way to spend your 37th Anniversary than making more pickles  ph34r.png 

****however...this sentiment may NOT shared as enthusiastically by my better half...wink.png       laugh.png

wub.png  ..that woman o' mine  wub.png   certainly deserves a medal for ., puttin up wit me alll these years...me and my friend's chit, being a nursemaid, molly maid, waitress, baby-sitter extraordinaire, cook, bottle washer, chauffeur, taxi driver, furniture mover, secret confidant, psychologist, she's been my best friend, a great wife, an awesome mother and a soul giving grandmother  !!!

**I didn't have the heart to get her even more excited than she already was this mornin......probably gonna have to do another batch of beets...I had 25 bottles done last month and were down to 15...and there ain't even been a friggen flurry yet !  tongue.png tongue.png

Pickle on gang !!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#111 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM

This morning, we just finished the last of 18 bottles of mustard pickles (years end chow) 

No better way to spend your 37th Anniversary than making more pickles  ph34r.png

****however...this sentiment may NOT shared as enthusiastically by my better half...wink.png       laugh.png

wub.png  ..that woman o' mine  wub.png   certainly deserves a medal for ., puttin up wit me alll these years...me and my friend's chit, being a nursemaid, molly maid, waitress, baby-sitter extraordinaire, cook, bottle washer, chauffeur, taxi driver, furniture mover, secret confidant, psychologist, she's been my best friend, a great wife, an awesome mother and a soul giving grandmother  !!!

**I didn't have the heart to get her even more excited than she already was this mornin......probably gonna have to do another batch of beets...I had 25 bottles done last month and were down to 15...and there ain't even been a friggen flurry yet !  tongue.png tongue.png

Pickle on gang !!!!

Happy anniversary Kevin. Yep your lady deserves a purple heart medal as mine does

We would be nothing or dead with out them as I am told daily biggrin.png

take care

#112 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:32 AM

This year as far as selling veggies for pickling is a real strange year

Almost no pickling cucumbers being sold

Beets on par with other years but green tomatoes are crazy

There was 200 pounds at the table yesterday which is about 5 times the norm and they were gone in 3 hours

Chow it the king it seems and some bread them and fry them they say

Have never tried that

Everyone either complaining about how hard bottles are to find or how expensive they are this year 

I still have my beets to do. I always wait until the selling is over and pick the little ones left in the garden around the end of October after a frost or two

I find they are much sweeter without adding a lot of sugar

Cheers

#113 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

Not many small beets in the bags this year..I usually try and get 5 lb of baby beets...just skin em and bottle em..no cutting...lol.

I always found the beets to be woody if they're left too long in the ground Joe...then again, they're never real small when left too long. 

I was pleasantly surprised with my first attempt at growing garlic this year. I got some seed from a guy I shoot with 2 yrs ago. He grows 300 ft of it every year.

I pulled it in early July...got it drying now. I used all the smaller ones for my dill pickles...MAN...WHAT a diff in flavor, compared to the dried up Chinese stuff !!

I have 8 big bulbs to break apart and replant for next year.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#114 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

Not many small beets in the bags this year..I usually try and get 5 lb of baby beets...just skin em and bottle em..no cutting...lol.

I always found the beets to be woody if they're left too long in the ground Joe...then again, they're never real small when left too long. 

I was pleasantly surprised with my first attempt at growing garlic this year. I got some seed from a guy I shoot with 2 yrs ago. He grows 300 ft of it every year.

I pulled it in early July...got it drying now. I used all the smaller ones for my dill pickles...MAN...WHAT a diff in flavor, compared to the dried up Chinese stuff !!

I have 8 big bulbs to break apart and replant for next year.

Now I find the big ones woody regardless how long in the ground and these little ones I call left over ones from what we didnot sell the best for me. Most are smaller than a golf ball

There is no comparison on garlic you grow yourself

One clove will do what an entire bulb will do from the store stuff and still taste way better

Cheers

#115 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1797 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Joe save me a few garlic to plant in my garden, were there Oct 16 and I'll get them planted once I get back home
can i go hunting yet??

#116 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5506 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:22 PM

No better way to spend your 37th Anniversary than making more pickles  :ph34r: 

****however...this sentiment may NOT shared as enthusiastically by my better half...;)       :lol:

:wub:  ..that woman o' mine  :wub:   certainly deserves a medal for ., puttin up wit me alll these years...me and my friend's chit, being a nursemaid, molly maid, waitress, baby-sitter extraordinaire, cook, bottle washer, chauffeur, taxi driver, furniture mover, secret confidant, psychologist, she's been my best friend, a great wife, an awesome mother and a soul giving grandmother  !!!

**I didn't have the heart to get her even more excited than she already was this mornin......probably gonna have to do another batch of beets...I had 25 bottles done last month and were down to 15...and there ain't even been a friggen flurry yet !  :P :P

Pickle on gang !!!!

And she’s gorgeous!
Now I know why you always keep/take her with you!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#117 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

brown noser..tongue.png tongue.png        Thanks Dan  !!

#118 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 AM

Joe save me a few garlic to plant in my garden, were there Oct 16 and I'll get them planted once I get back home

NP how many. I will try to save some of the three types but will have one type for sure

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users