• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

Interesting potential, could be a great thing moving forwards.

"We'koqma'q Chief Rod Googoo says the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi'kmaq Chiefs has reached out to the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters to try to work together on resource management. He says illegal hunting is out of control in the Cape Breton Highlands and all parties, including the province, need to join efforts on enforcement."

432796https://www.localxpr...-species-432796

#2 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

How is one to interpret this? Is he referring to native,non or both? I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the goings on on the native end are all legal thanks to the "Marshall decision". Am I right or wrong? In any event, nothing like closing the barn AFTER the horse got out!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#3 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

"but it is my understanding that the goings on on the native end are all legal thanks to the "Marshall decision". Nope...only the things that are going on within the guidelines put out based on the Marshall decision are legal. Abuse is abuse....and we all know there is abuse...again....by all parties.

Butch

#4 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

How is one to interpret this? Is he referring to native,non or both? I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the goings on on the native end are all legal thanks to the "Marshall decision". Am I right or wrong? In any event, nothing like closing the barn AFTER the horse got out!

Non-Native and those considering themselves Native under the new federal/court ruling on who is considered "native" .. that's what I get from it..

"We're saying 'Hey, the only ones that should be eligible to hunt in Nova Scotia are the ones who are using the band-issued status cards, which are issued by one of the 13 bands (in the province), or the ones that hunt under the provincial guidelines,'" Googoo said."

"The problem with anyone claiming to be Qalipu is that they may be considered Indians by the federal government, but they are not signatories to existing treaties between the Mi'kmaq and the Crown, he said."

"The Mi'kmaq chiefs passed a resolution calling on the province to step up enforcement in the highlands and asking the province to clarify the issue of hunting rights, and have agreed to meet with provincial officials later this month, said Googoo.

One of the agenda items is expected to be the chiefs' call for a Mi'kmaq-controlled hunter identification system, he said.

"We're saying on our side that we will determine who we feel is eligible to hunt under our treaty," said Googoo."

-  I think it is important to clarify and know who can hunt / harvest resource's in the areas (that fall under the existing rights), don't you?

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- Mossberg patriot - wood/iron sights, .30-06
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#5 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

I think it is important to clarify and know who can hunt / harvest resource's in the areas (that fall under the existing rights), don't you?

Yup!

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Red....White....Black....Green....or FN Yellow.....color or ethnisity has nothing to do with it IF YOU ARE  poaching !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 Woodsie123

Woodsie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

maybe try starting with simpler things, like getting all the hunters and tribes hunting ethically, (yes i know its not everyone in every band) lets try giving the moose a fighting chance to survive, by this i mean no driving around at night time killing them with lights in there face or standing up in the back of your pickup trucks during the day racing up and down the woods roads shooting them. it was like a highway watching truck loads of natives driving up and down all day long back and forth. i was in zone 4 this year during the first season and it was absolutely disgusting how the moose were being hunted and killed there were more gut piles in the roads than you could imagine, there were 4 killed on saturday and sunday before the season even opened, even a bigger joke that the DNR officers (who were also guides there guiding) joke about how they are being killed saying "about another hour or so night shift should be rolling in" 

#8 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hmmm, I missed the link lol. How foolish of me to surmise that ole Rod may want to fix the current situation. He just doesn't want to share the pie with the other "so called" natives.They refused for decades to work with the fed and now he wants the Fed to help protect their near "moose monopoly"? I hope the fed tells Rod to go F*** himself! If they don't, I think they'll suffer losses in membership and they certainly can't afford that.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#9 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:26 AM

Hoping this is a positive step towards resource mgt.

As far as enforcement goes - I sure don't know all the ins and outs however think the Federal Govt needs to make a ruling and/or a MOU with the Province(s) on enforcement. The article states that there's a request for the Province to clarify the issue of hunting rights. Hasn't that been an issue with the Province's since the Marshall decision - they're (Province's) unclear on what their role is re enforcement?

#10 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

Hmmm, I missed the link lol. How foolish of me to surmise that ole Rod may want to fix the current situation. He just doesn't want to share the pie with the other "so called" natives.They refused for decades to work with the fed and now he wants the Fed to help protect their near "moose monopoly"? I hope the fed tells Rod to go F*** himself! If they don't, I think they'll suffer losses in membership and they certainly can't afford that.

Hey there nomad, that pie you refer to has been picked over this year by non-residents and some who have been self identifying as aboriginal.... problem is, the Enforcement Division at Dept of Environment doesn't know how to deal with it. Word is out that its "open season" and its gotten pretty bad this year. Dozens of dead moose each week are coming out of Cape Breton and heading to parts unknown. Some suggest there are poachers from Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Quebec and even some from the US. I have seen the photos showing out of province license plates on the Highland Road, dead moose in tow, so maybe the rumors are true.... This particular year has been described as the worst is 2 decades.

As a simple FYI, the chief didn't reach out to the Federation on his own. The Mi'kmaq from the 13 Bands throughout Nova Scotia did. The chief is the lead on the project and he and I have had many hours of discussion over the last little while on all things outdoors. Turns out we have a lot in common - who'd a thunk it, eh?
Moving forward, we have agreed to work together on some of the bigger outstanding issues such as the plight or state of the moose on CB Island and all things to do with moose. Some will most certainly disagree with our new partnership, while many others will like whats unfolding. My hope is to shed light on the problems and see if we can fix them.

Then there's whitetail deer, bear.......
We have compiled quite a long list!

As I stated in my interview with the Local Xpress reporter - The next few years are going to be interesting!

#11 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:13 AM

Hopefully the beginning of a positive and beneficial partnership for all 3 parties involved, natives, non-natives and wildlife! I wish it every success, and it is about time everyone started to work together on game issues, as we all share it, and neither group of hunters is going anywhere.

I know things were bad regarding moose in the Highlands back in the early 90's when I was drawn for a tag. So for First Nations to now recognize publically that there is a problem, it must be gawd awful bad up there now. I lost a lot of respect, and confidence, in our L&F/DNR enforcement managers and staff for the practically total hands off approach for decades now, and allowing the situation to get out of hand as bad as it has.

Best of luck going forward!

#12 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

Hey there nomad, that pie you refer to has been picked over this year by non-residents and some who have been self identifying as aboriginal.... problem is, the Enforcement Division at Dept of Environment doesn't know how to deal with it. Word is out that its "open season" and its gotten pretty bad this year. Dozens of dead moose each week are coming out of Cape Breton and heading to parts unknown. Some suggest there are poachers from Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Quebec and even some from the US. I have seen the photos showing out of province license plates on the Highland Road, dead moose in tow, so maybe the rumors are true.... This particular year has been described as the worst is 2 decades.

As a simple FYI, the chief didn't reach out to the Federation on his own. The Mi'kmaq from the 13 Bands throughout Nova Scotia did. The chief is the lead on the project and he and I have had many hours of discussion over the last little while on all things outdoors. Turns out we have a lot in common - who'd a thunk it, eh?
Moving forward, we have agreed to work together on some of the bigger outstanding issues such as the plight or state of the moose on CB Island and all things to do with moose. Some will most certainly disagree with our new partnership, while many others will like whats unfolding. My hope is to shed light on the problems and see if we can fix them.

Then there's whitetail deer, bear.......
We have compiled quite a long list!

As I stated in my interview with the Local Xpress reporter - The next few years are going to be interesting!

Its always good to start ones day off with a laugh I think. Reading this post and all the posts on the moose problems in Cape Breton over the last thirty years I have to shake my head. Woodsie made a very good point, so did many others over the years, but it was ignored, by you yourself. Same with many other forums, where folks have indicated the out come, muzzle loader introduction, etc, but you had your view, now I look back and you have been wrong on a lot of issues. But now, now theres a problem because the natives said so. You think this is something new now. Where was everyone when freezer trucks left the island full, boosts of 74 moose kills, go back and read the posts from years gone by, DNR guiding, the list was endless, and you ignored it, and now you tell Nomad dozens of moose leaving the Island as if its something new. Were you living in a bubble all these years. Yah like I will say for the last time, the livelihood was sucked away for many down there with the re introduction of the moose. Hunters stopped coming from abroad to hunt whitetails, old established outfitters closed there doors. 300 some moose tags, a draw, folks can bring everything they want to the Island, what good has this done for the small communities, nothing. Now we list the moose as a concern, a concern for who? I am still laughing and I have long finished my coffee, especially the part that you and the chief have a lot in common.

#13 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

You know a start is a start, everything needs to start somewhere...

Some should maybe try looking at things with a more positive eye, rather than giving up right from the beginning...

You will never achieve anything that way, that's for sure.

Just my 2 cents..

- Savage Model 11, .243

#14 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

,Ian until there is regulation on both sides, policing will be next to impossible. Here you have a user group who has refused to self police for years asking for the NSFAH to help them police another user group? It is beyond laughable. For starters, the number of CO's in The area is in the single digits so, even if there was a will to do so, it is undo able. If there are to be new CO's hired, who is going to pay for it? Want to know how little enforcement or will to do it there is? Just a week or so ago, I was working in Alta with a guy from Antigonish area who told me " there's 2 moose with my name on them waiting for me when I get home". I asked what he mean't. He told me that he takes two moose every fall for the last 10 years from the highlands. Drives all the way home with them ion an open trailer and never once stopped. Now how many more are doing just that?

#15 orso

orso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hey Nomad, you're correct on the low staffing level of CO's and the will to do the work is there. The problem is so few CO's cannot cover all of the territory or work 24/7

#16 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hey Nomad, you're correct on the low staffing level of CO's and the will to do the work is there. The problem is so few CO's cannot cover all of the territory or work 24/7

Maybe some should be doing less scouting while at work, and taking leave to guide during the moose season. Its not only the moose that need fixing down there.

#17 orso

orso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

You'll hear no arguments from me on that point Thunderstick, but fixing any of those issues has to come from the top down I would think

#18 KC1751

KC1751

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

what a shitshow

helicopter hunting

jacking

poaching

federal and provincial employees guiding

and they need help-because the population is going to collapse

or they cannot control their own clan

well have at her 

NSFHA should tell them to get their house in order or piss off

now they want us to throw money and resources at that f!?!ing mess

when they told us to step aside and while they exercise their rights

and now they feel the moose should be properly managed

hows that ******* working for you

what a slap in the face 

#19 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:52 AM

So which is it,
1: you want the native Community to work togther with the non native community.
2: you dont care.. period?

Confusing at times

- Savage Model 11, .243

#20 Woodsie123

Woodsie123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

I'm sure chief googoo isn't doing this so a bunch of rules and regs are imposed on his band

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users