147 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Hey folks, just a reminder the application period for submitting project proposals is winding down.

The completed and signed application form must be postmarked or received by 15 December. Letters of support from matching funding sources must accompany your Application Form.

If you need some help preparing your application, contact Shawn at the Federation. Shawn has been on the Habitat Conservation Fund Board for a Term and can review and advise on key points to enhance your application.

Shawn can be reached at [email protected]

Good luck with your applications!
Remember, its your hunting $$$ - please organize your thoughts and apply!

#2 prettyboy

prettyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Has there been any updates on which projects have been awarded funding? Mysellf and a few select members are very interested in any developments.

#3 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

A few select members?

Awesome!

You will have to contact DNR for a list of the approved projects.

#4 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2449 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

I was just reviewing the 2016 funded programs...particularly HWA's

https://novascotia.c...CF16_02_HWA.pdf

On page 8...first paragraph...

The volunteer nature of moving to non-toxic is extremely important to most people to the extent that we have observed greater numbers of hunters obtaining their own non-toxic product. However, there seems to be a small portion of the target group that will not adopt the change to non-toxic on a voluntary basis and some of those who might even attempt to subvert a mandatory program.

WHAT "mandatory program" ??? :huh:

For a program that was supposed to be about "education", it sure appears they're talking about / considering an outright BAN !!

The HWA's "education" funding ends in 2017...Are they then going to be calling for a ban, Ian???...and if they do, is the Federation going to support them in that initiative?

Will support be through an executive 'intiative' (like the 'education' program)??...or will it go to the membership in a policy vote (resolution) at the AGM???

Your True 'Ethics'...are what you do when you think no one sees you.

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Ummmmm....I for one , certainly hopes it's NOT Mandatory ! :angry: IF, it IS....It could put a whole new perspective on how I see myself volunteering, contributing, and praising the good things about our lovely little province!! <_< 

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10055 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Some old dude here once said it was just a matter of time once one allows the toe hold and the voluntary was BS from the start

Just hope that old guy is as wrong as he is based on his mrs every day :)

Love the 50,000 rounds they exchanged. Lets see 2500 boxes ya right I have not seen one so far

Cheers 

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

I remember that old dude...lol..still hope he's wrong tho.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10055 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

All a ban will do is make many Nova Scotia hunters criminals and reduce the numbers of individuals shooting and how much is being spent shooting

I keep hearing we did it with waterfowl. No not like this

Apples and oranges. Waterfowl hunting loads were banned right across north americia so manufacturers stopped making them

So even if you wanted to keep shooting lead you could not find or buy a box of No.2, 4 or BB anywhere after may be the first two years the ban was in place

With bullets they will still be mass produced in the US and not banned across canada maybe Nova Scotia ( the leading edge province PLEASE ) so one will be able to buy them and keep using it.

Impossible to police. Hunters will have rounds buried in their blinds or the first round in the rifle will be lead especially those who refuse to see the impact they are having or cannot afford or canot find suitable alternatives

Many that use 303 or 3030 will not buy a new rifle they will just say f'k it and stop deer hunting, that happened with so many when steel became the shot required for waterfowl and a high percentage of these guys never returned

I would fully support this if there we real proof the lead eagles are finding is gut piles and eagles are in trouble here but that is not the case.Cannot drive 5 miles now with out seeing at least one. We are watching four yes four active nests just around the house in a 5 mile radius. I would never have seen that 25 year ago

Mark my words lead will be banned in this stupid province and there will be ZERO change in the number of eagles coming in sick.

Any one open for bets on this one

Good job I say and it will be banned also for target shooting right after so kiss the clubs good bye. Then wait until you hunters see the cost of ammo. In the end it will impact everyone

Take the time, do the proper research, find proven affordable alternatives, buy out individuals ammo stock of lead and then implement a plan that works for all. It is there 

Yes sir ammo manufacturer's state side are going to keep driving for lead free alternatives and making new rounds

NOT under Trump who has NRA stamped on his butt

In fact first president since 1983 that attended and spoke at their 2017 convention

Cheers

Apr 14, 2017 - President Donald Trump will speak at the National Rifle Association's annual convention on April 28, becoming the first U.S. president to ...

#9 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2947 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

All a ban will do is make many Nova Scotia hunters criminals and reduce the numbers of individuals shooting and how much is being spent shooting

I keep hearing we did it with waterfowl. No not like this

Apples and oranges. Waterfowl hunting loads were banned right across north americia so manufacturers stopped making them

So even if you wanted to keep shooting lead you could not find or buy a box of No.2, 4 or BB anywhere after may be the first two years the ban was in place

With bullets they will still be mass produced in the US and not banned across canada maybe Nova Scotia ( the leading edge province PLEASE ) so one will be able to buy them and keep using it.

Impossible to police. Hunters will have rounds buried in their blinds or the first round in the rifle will be lead especially those who refuse to see the impact they are having or cannot afford or canot find suitable alternatives

Many that use 303 or 3030 will not buy a new rifle they will just say f'k it and stop deer hunting, that happened with so many when steel became the shot required for waterfowl and a high percentage of these guys never returned

I would fully support this if there we real proof the lead eagles are finding is gut piles and eagles are in trouble here but that is not the case.Cannot drive 5 miles now with out seeing at least one. We are watching four yes four active nests just around the house in a 5 mile radius. I would never have seen that 25 year ago

Mark my words lead will be banned in this stupid province and there will be ZERO change in the number of eagles coming in sick.

Any one open for bets on this one

Good job I say and it will be banned also for target shooting right after so kiss the clubs good bye. Then wait until you hunters see the cost of ammo. In the end it will impact everyone

Take the time, do the proper research, find proven affordable alternatives, buy out individuals ammo stock of lead and then implement a plan that works for all. It is there 

Yes sir ammo manufacturer's state side are going to keep driving for lead free alternatives and making new rounds

NOT under Trump who has NRA stamped on his butt

In fact first president since 1983 that attended and spoke at their 2017 convention

Cheers

Apr 14, 2017 - President Donald Trump will speak at the National Rifle Association's annual convention on April 28, becoming the first U.S. president to ...

Sorry I am trying to stay away but this subject gets under my skin. Ammo in the valley just jumped another $14.00 a box last week. I used to buy the affordable core loks which three years ago were $26.00, they are now $40.00 not including tax. Hornaby 45-70 jumped from $43.00 to $57 not including taxes. I get into reloading fours years ago, and all supplies have doubled. If this is the case here and now, what can one expect with copper ammo? Through the roof. I sit here and listen thinking do I buy more reloading lead that I have to then throw out. Who is fooling who here. We use lead because many years ago its characteristics out weighted other products. This has been studied. How is it now copper is better than lead. It is not. If I am correct copper bullets have to be larger (longer)just to match lead. Todays reloading books would be useless. Many many things to consider, many costs involved which would eventually have many call it quits. Very sad but it appears to me that over the last few years NSHFA is not much of a voice for our sport period, that's the impression I get, sorry. The new UN stamp coming into place and the dying eagles are going to cripple the sport, where is our voice? I agree with you mac as yesterday I spoke to a gun store in Alberta. Guy told me he was run of his feet getting lead ammo orders out. Folks I guess are hoarding like our friends in the states.

#10 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5028 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I was just reviewing the 2016 funded programs...particularly HWA's

https://novascotia.c...CF16_02_HWA.pdf

On page 8...first paragraph...

WHAT "mandatory program" ??? :huh:
For a program that was supposed to be about "education", it sure appears they're talking about / considering an outright BAN !!

The HWA's "education" funding ends in 2017...Are they then going to be calling for a ban, Ian???...and if they do, is the Federation going to support them in that initiative?
Will support be through an executive 'intiative' (like the 'education' program)??...or will it go to the membership in a policy vote (resolution) at the AGM???

I don't even know what to say here. HWA......the "Benedict Arnold " of the NSFAH!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10055 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Sorry I am trying to stay away but this subject gets under my skin. Ammo in the valley just jumped another $14.00 a box last week. I used to buy the affordable core loks which three years ago were $26.00, they are now $40.00 not including tax. Hornaby 45-70 jumped from $43.00 to $57 not including taxes. I get into reloading fours years ago, and all supplies have doubled. If this is the case here and now, what can one expect with copper ammo? Through the roof. I sit here and listen thinking do I buy more reloading lead that I have to then throw out. Who is fooling who here. We use lead because many years ago its characteristics out weighted other products. This has been studied. How is it now copper is better than lead. It is not. If I am correct copper bullets have to be larger (longer)just to match lead. Todays reloading books would be useless. Many many things to consider, many costs involved which would eventually have many call it quits. Very sad but it appears to me that over the last few years NSHFA is not much of a voice for our sport period, that's the impression I get, sorry. The new UN stamp coming into place and the dying eagles are going to cripple the sport, where is our voice? I agree with you mac as yesterday I spoke to a gun store in Alberta. Guy told me he was run of his feet getting lead ammo orders out. Folks I guess are hoarding like our friends in the states.

I hear you and it upsets me also big time. That being said I got caught eating a lot waterfowl lead loads in the past and lost a pile of cash . Ended up giving away a lot of boxes of the very best BB, 2 and 4  lead loads winchester every made to seal hunters here

My take on it is in this province there is no voice for the majority of hunters or target shooters and the tail wags the dog

Save an eagle so they think regardless if that has not been proven here and the hell with what impact it will make on the shooting sports in the long run

We are a dying breed regardless what some say about all the courses are filled with new shooters etc and no one seems to want to talk about the average age of what is left spending the cash keeping the sports alive and we cannot even back fill to maintain those numbers let alone grow. This lead ban will just move it alone quicker

To me those that think we are fine  have never shot or hunted here in the 60's -80's just to see the numbers that were involved 

I would say we are around 1/3 of our original numbers

Funny part is probally 75% of hunters don't even know this is taking place. Get involved they say and one would know what is going on. Well some do but most just buy their licence every year, hunt and go home  and have no clue their 303 or 30/30 which they used for 30 years will no longer able to be used in a few years here

On the lead bullets they are not hording out west since they would never accept a ban. They are just shooting tons of rounds , and the shooting sports are growing leaps and bounds out there and they could not care less about non tox ammo and will be shooting lead long after we cannot

Yes I say when we cannot since as stupid as I am I can see what is coming here long term and I will see a lead ban in NS in my lifetime

No way I said was I getting stuck with 10's of thousands of dollars of bullets this time so in the past two years I have sold off all of my 40 plus year old stash. It went very quickly on nutz mostly to alberta and BC and I have a lot of guys happy seeing bullets that they have not had in many years in many rare calipers. I could have matched that 50,000 rounds easily the HWA say they exchanged only mine were real not a dream

When the bullets and brass was gone then I looked at my collection of RCBS gear for rifle and handguns and it went next. Kept only my scales which I still use for shotgun reloading

So what I have now in lead bullets are just the reloaded ones which one cannot sell and will take me to the ban

Sorry and I feel like a trader but it was just way too many dollars to get stuck with it

Would I think it is a good idea for anyone in Nova Scotia today to stash lead bullets at this stage knowing what is eventually coming NO   SIR

Just one man's take

Cheers

#12 KC1751

KC1751

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have my grandfathers remington rifle, they can stick the ban up their arse

#13 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5223 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

I have my grandfathers remington rifle, they can stick the ban up their arse

Haaahaha !
Hey- how did we get to the lead ban from -get in your proposals?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐ŸŒ๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽฑ๐ŸฆŒ๐Ÿค 

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10055 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

Haaahaha !
Hey- how did we get to the lead ban from -get in your proposals?

Try to keep up old timer :)

Blame Bob LOL

#15 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2449 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Blame Bob LOL

HEY, Hey, hey... :huh:

Don't be tryin' ta blame me...You old "subvert" you... :lol:  :D

(Wanna bet you made their 'list'...probably me too, and likely Kevin ;) )

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5223 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Blame Bob LOL

I think Bob may be older than myself! LOL
I do have trouble keeping up tho.

So l thought the lead ban was waterfowl only,which I haven't done in decades,anyway.Would like to get into it again.
Where can one find all the info on this so called ban- for and against? Is it just NS? Is there something in the works to make it all ammo and what is and isn't mandatory?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐ŸŒ๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽฑ๐ŸฆŒ๐Ÿค 

#17 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2449 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

I think Bob may be older than myself! LOL
I do have trouble keeping up tho.

So l thought the lead ban was waterfowl only,which I haven't done in decades,anyway.Would like to get into it again.
Where can one find all the info on this so called ban- for and against? Is it just NS? Is there something in the works to make it all ammo and what is and isn't mandatory?

Hey...It's Sunday morning...Nothing else to do!!

Blame Tripple D... :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ...

Million dollar questions there, Bud !! Good luck in getting answers.

(I'm only 56, by-the-way ;) )

I'm not sure how much of the anti-lead discussions you've read, but they go back around 5 years, or so, now.

The NSFAH voted in an 'initiative' to 'educate the hunters of NS leading to the elimination of ALL lead based ammunition'. The necessity of this "elimination" is to protect bald eagles, that a veterinarian has emphatically claimed are being exclusively poisoned by use of lead ammunition (which is why they've included lead fishing weights, I guess?? :wacko: )

The waterfowl ban has been in place since 1992, and they are now going after all rifle, muzzleloader and upland hunters' ammunition. IF (big 'if') they are including target shooters in that is not exactly clear.

From its beginning, the NSFAH has claimed this was not a call for a ban...that it was, simply, an educational program that would see all hunters voluntarily stop using lead, which has not occurred (see the "subvert" quote in my HWA quote above). Realistically, a voluntary elimination could never occur...would never occur...and an outright ban to achieve lead's elimination has always been in the works, as far as I'm concerned.

According to the Halifax Wildlife Association's Final Report on their 2016 funded program, they are in their last year of trying to educate hunters, and, for the first time (I think), they have somewhat come out of the closet and make reference to a "mandatory program", which I (and others) equate to an outright ban, and thus my questions to Ian (President of the NSFAH, and site Moderator) above.

Information for and against?...I am sure HWA and the Federation will provide you all the information you would like in support of this 'initiative'. Good luck in getting any info out of them that disproves what they consider the necessity (saving bald eagles). I know at the time this went to a vote at the Board of Directors / Executive meeting, none of the contrary information I had forwarded (pre-vote) to the then President was ever distributed to the delegates (first 'Red Flag' to me. I was pretty sure then that this train was on a one-way track). I wish I had backed up my hard drive, but its 'crash' took all that info with it. :(  :angry:  Maybe Ian, as the now President, has that info from the previous Prez's portfolio?

No, it is not just NS they are going after. They have used our HCF monies to venture into NB, PEI, Florida, North Dakota, etc. They want to be a world leader in the elimination of lead ammunition. (they actually stated that at that BoD meeting)

Here, there's been tons of discussion around this 'initiative'...lots of denial...lots of half truths...plenty of outright misrepresentations...all in their efforts to garner support of their objectives. Again, referring to the HWA Final Report, people who have taken them up on their ammunition exchange program, are now considered pro anti-lead, which will be used as ammunition in their play to have lead banned (pun intended) when they have their future meetings with DNR and DOE (including the ones they've already had).

There's simply been too much to discuss / re-hash it all here... :unsure:

nomad,

I don't know that it is fair to place the blame solely on the shoulders of the Halifax Wildlife Association...and, specifically, its few select members driving this program of elimination. 

This is a Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters initiative and the NSFAH is ultimately responsible for its fruition. HWA is simply the mechanism carrying it out.

Now, understand, it could be that HWA has mis-lead the Federation with respect to their actual intent, and then I'd agree they're to be held solely responsible. But it may also be that we're being subjected to "Trump politics"...ie. assign the dirty work to someone else (HWA) and then claim their hands are clean (NSFAH). I figure it's one or the other.

I dunno...but I don't think we're going to get those answers... 

In the "Why Not a Member of the NSFAH" thread, Ian posted a policy of the Federation...

Granted, the long gun registry as a matter of Bill C-68 is gone, and firearms ownership in Canada, let alone Nova Scotia, is not a "Right"...but I read into that Policy that the NSFAH had the intent to protect our firearms privileges in recognition of how things like C-68 have an adverse effect on the users...people giving up their guns...people giving up hunting...too many restrictive hoops to jump through...loss of youth hunters and the mentors to guide them, etc., etc.

I would like to think that any responsible hunting association would have a somewhat similar policy to protect its membership from those kinds of threats and deterrents...

All of the C-68 results happened with the 1992 waterfowl ban...

Why does the NS Federation think this ban won't have those same results?

I dunno...but I don't think we're going to get those answers, either...until it's too late...  :(

#18 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5223 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

SURE --BLAME ME IF YOU WANT!!!
Bob - thanks,I think! On this site we have numerous people with different views and opinions on the subject,so how would someone such as myself( who knows nothing about the situation),know what's fact and what's not ? Hopefully we will get answers before it's too late. On here you could post something like - the sky is blue- and get an arguement, so who and what to believe,well confusing to me.

I do think your scenario about the eagles and lead makes a lot of sense and should be investigated by the powers that be tho.
But hey congrats on being only 56! Starting to think the only guy on here older than me is hairy-one!

#19 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2449 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

...how would someone such as myself( who knows nothing about the situation),know what's fact and what's not ? Hopefully we will get answers before it's too late...

Always ask questions.

The responses you get will provide the answer...or give you a clue.

When you ask pointed questions and attempts to divert away, personal attacks, or being intentionally ignored are the responses you get?...should tell you, you have struck a nerve and are on the right track. A non-answer is often MORE telling than an actual response.

My aunt, mother, and step-father were over last evening.

My aunt has some health concerns and we got talking about all the information that is out there these days through the internet. 

Speaking only for myself, way back when, we were taught 'Don't believe everything you read...and even less of what you 'hear'...and our information came from qualified books.

People say of today that we live in the "information age". It could just as easily be called "the mis-information age"...there's a lot of garbage out there presented as fact.

Always ask questions. ;)

#20 KC1751

KC1751

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

youtube has lots of great info where people donated their time and knowledge to show others 

the internet is what yรดu make it

I find it a great tool, like you said all you have to do is ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users