BSA.308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hi folks,

I hadnt planned on using/buying a muzzleloader, but when the deal of a lifetime comes your way, your mind fails.

I bought a year and a half old Traditions Buckstalker, scoped.  Rod beneath the barrel has a removeable jag, and a t-handle slip on palm saver...cool.  What I would like, is to purchase a one piece rod to do all my cleaning and loading on the range, leaving the rod under the barrel strictly for hunting purposes. My question...what do you guys use/recommend, and where can I get one?  

Thanks for sharing,

Bsa.308

May your aim be true and your adventures safe.

#2 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5104 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

it's not a one piece but ,I picked up a cabelas muzzleloader field cleaning kit and it is pretty decent. Other than that, I use the rod that came with mine. Londero sports in Que sells a fair amount of ML accessories if you happen to be looking.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#3 Hellraiser

Hellraiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationAmherst

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

I picked up a 1 piece rod at bass pro for about 29 bucks.

#4 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

I have the same Cabelas Black Powder Field Cleaning Kit  as Nomad mentioned. It comes with a 3 piece heavy brass rod with an aluminum handle. It works well. I haven't seen it on their website recently, but it may be on the US Cabelas?

My rod has fused together and is essentially a one piece rod now. I even tried pliers and can't twist them apart. Only thing I can figure is maybe powder and water/cleaning solvent acted like glue and welded the joints? I originally began shooting Triple Seven powder and cleaning with water, but switched over to Blackhorn 209 and Hoppes #9. 

In addition to the rod being fused, the T/C universal loading/cleaning jag I had on it is fused solid also. It works great for loading, but with the 2"x2" square cotton cleaning patches I have it will often bind in the bottom of the barrel, forcing me to remove the breech plug and push the rod & patch out the breech end. Thinner patches will likely cure that however.    

#5 BSA.308

BSA.308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thanks folks. 

I have read some online reviews, and it sounds good.  I looked around and also found another one piece 32 inch rod made of pvc, with threaded end to accept jags, brushes etc.  Comes from blackpowder traditions company...and only $21.98 free shipping.  I will probably end up with the cabelas one and this one...oh no, 2 rods???  Guess Ill have to buy a second muzzie.

May your aim be true and your adventures safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users