14 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

We have been asked (tasked) to participate in a study group of sorts, to try and find ways to increase young hunter participation throughout the province....

Any of you have some ideas we can work on?

We may have an opportunity to sit down and discuss a go forward plan sometime in June of this year. Participants are still being rounded up, its all a bit fluid now, but ideas would be a good starting point.....

#2 Extreme Bowhunter

Extreme Bowhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Reducing the age limits would be a great start.

#3 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Free licencing / courses, etc for kids (maybe under 16...?)

Rob

#4 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Ian definately getting kids started at an earlier age and getting them to understand why we have hunting seasons and trapping seasons
I would love to see this some how get into the school system so kids had the oppurtunity to talk to hunters and fiherman and be introduced to these great sports
There is what i would like to see doe tags used for first year hunters and kids
Educating people to the true facts is the best approach to growing the numbers of hunters and making sure hunting will be around years to come
Teaching kids to be able to survive god forbid they ever get lost in the woods and not to be scared of the woods
I look forward to your updates as this developes in the future

#5 JohnHope

JohnHope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

I think that when it comes to introducing young people to hunting, you have to start with an appreciation of the outdoors, and move on to hunting. To take a kid that has spent 10-12 years in front of a tv and say here, go hunting, is a little ridiculous.

So, I think that maybe it would be good to set up programs where young people gain an appreciation for, and enjoyment of, the outdoors. Teach them the stuff we learned as kids; what the tracks of animals look like, which side of the tree the moss grows on, how to build a lean-to etc. and then expand that into hunting (and fishing).

Sooo, if you want people 12-15 getting into hunting, start with programs for 8-10 year-olds to learn about the outdoors/camping/nature and then move them into hunting (and fishing) as time moves on.

Of course, the other option is to convince their parents to put down their blackberries and spend some time outdoors with the kids, but that is rant for a different day.

#6 raftersp

raftersp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think week long or week end functions, that would include learning the different ways of using the out doors. When I was in school there were survival trips in the winter and summer to learn what it was like first hand. Canoe trips and anything to do with the outdoors, and having a outcome at the end like licensing or level of achievement. Could have it be an all family and all age type of thing so kids can enjoy it with there parents and see what we enjoy and take out of hunting, fishing boating and such, could even have the courses coincide with the youth day hunts so as to extend the course into the hunting and fishing season. Also try and get the hunting preserves on line to donate a Field day trip of shooting clay, skeet and actually going out for a hunt on the preserve. See lots of this kind of thing in Ontario, could get involved with them and other provinces and host youth hunts and fishing trips with parents, support would come from local hunting chapters instead of just talk.
If you need any help once this hits the pavement drop me a line.

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

I'm with Rob and 50 Cal...I think that until the age of majority...all new young hunters should be given an "EITHER SEX LICENCE"...valid for ANYWHERE in the province!! It may just give them some hands on experience earlier in their hunting career instead of maybe taking them a few years to even get a shot at a buck! Reduced licence costs for them also....or first year or two free..orrrr.....second year Half price..something along those lines. Talking about ages 16-19 only. If the age is reduced to sayyyy 14 or less, then let the decisions reflect that.
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

I think troutman is definately on the right track.
They have this now but possibly the people teaching it are not hunters and don't think much of hunting.
Ya not gonna get any time or instruction spent on the plus side of hunting in that environment.

Slow and steady wins the race ;)

#9 Big Mike

Big Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

Drop the age to 12 for big game to start with and i have always believed that senior's,new hunters under age 18 and disabled people should get the first crack at the antleress deer tags as far as im concerned.Here in zone 1 alot of hunters will go years without seeing a buck to shot,it does not give young hunters much courage to think they may be sitting there for years before they ever draw there bow or lift there rifle.

#10 chezz

chezz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationLower East chezzetcook, NS

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

This is exactly why the guys and gals at groups like Delta Waterfowl concentrate on the kids aspect so much with youth workshops
and youth Heritage day... they need to be introduced to the aspects of hunting, conservation, gun safety..etc....at the younger years to generate some sort of interest...

I'd like to see free licensing and education for the youth as well… I’m sure there are some sort of gov’t grants available to be had to do things like this….

I'd much rather see a 14 year old running around the woods with a gun and not on the streets....
SOME IS GOOD...MORE IS BETTER...AND TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!!!

Posted Image
BERETTA XTREMA2 WITH THAT BAD A$$ WAD WIZARD SUPREME

#11 Ian

Ian

Gone Fishing!

• Moderators
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationHRM & PEI

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

Great feedback fellas....

......takin notes......

#12 juniorhunter

juniorhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

--You guys are making me pace the floors and its not even hunting season, I always wanted to start before 12,and big game ages SHOULD be lowerd. Its a lot of fun but how do they expect kids or teenagers to keep interested if all there shooting is birds or rabbits. Me myself, I'd LOVE to take my first bear, especially with a bow, and then taking my first deer. I think big game hunting would add more of a challenge for young kids or teenagers and most kids, including myself prefer a challenge. For me bird season and rabbits its getting 'old' and I can not wait till im 16, I wont be able to big game hunt this season but next I will be and I will be out in the stand every minute I have. I still enjoy bird hunting but it's starting to get boring and its time for something new.
--The either sex tag would be a bonus, and myself like someone else said, 16-19 and senior and disabled people should have first crack at it! Sure it is dissapointing when my dad doesnt get a doe tag its much more harder but thats not the point, the point of hunting to me is getting out, enjoying the outdoors and spending time with your friends/parents. But thinking I would much rather see someone who cant even get out and walk the trails and only drive the roads because whether they cant or too old whatever the problem I would rather them have a doe tag than someone who is fully capable of taking the time and baiting or walking.

I think all the guys and galls here have valid points and I think you Ian are on the right track! Koodo's too all of you who are pushing these points!

Thats my rant and 2 cents.

JH

#13 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

Junior hunter you are a breath of fresh air and far wiser than your age
I got a feeling when you do get chance to hunt big game like bears and deer they will be in big trouble
I wish that young people like yourself didn't have to wait until sixten to hunt big game
I remember the wait also and i hope someday others can start at earlier ages
Enjoy the woods

#14 tmanthorne1971

tmanthorne1971

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

i think the age to hunt big game should be 12

#15 oneshot

oneshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHANTS COUNTY

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Stream lining things / making things simpler in regards to getting young people trained in order to be able to hunt and a more dedicated system set up to follow up on training paperwork , what I mean in this regard is that if there is documentation to get out to students once they have taken courses required for them to be able to hunt , paid all monies due for the courses also then set up a system to insure all paperwork , cards , and whatever else is included in said course gets out to the students who have paid . It peeves me that it seems that once courses are taken ,money paid , that the student has to try and contact people/ departments and are sometimes transfered and or referred to several other deparment which more often than not leads to a person becoming frustrated and giving up . Especially if you are a youth new to the hunting community this frustrations leads to thoughts along the lines of well if its this promlematic in just getting into hunting then I don't think I 'll bother. We as a community want our fellowship to grow so lets see if something can be down in order to make things not easier but maybe more of a good experience for new hunters becoming new hunters . Lets get them into hunting and then look into other things like age limits , doe tags for youths etc, etc , etc. , lets get in the woods with all required permits cards , licenses with a mentor in a more effective manner making the experience of becoming a hunter more of a pleasure than a chore . Just a rant of mine for today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users