lucky72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGatineau Quebec

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

A message to our members:

In the wake of the CPC majority of May 2, the CSSA is advocating a single-window communications approach to lobbying the government on behalf of responsible firearms owners.

We hope that gun owners will recognize that an ad hoc writing campaign to MPs could cause more confusion than clarity. The CSSA is hoping that sport shooters will use the collective voices of their advocacy associations to negotiate with the Harper government. The CSSA has strong representation on the Firearms Advisory Committee to the Minister of Public Safety, and we believe, as do the 26 organizations in the Canadian Outdoors Network, that more can be achieved through that conduit than through a letter writing campaign that seeks disparate demands, at this time.

We urge firearms owners to resist the temptation to tell MPs what they are seeking from this government, as not all gun owners are of one mind. This will result in mixed messaging, which can do our cause more harm than good. Let them get their desks and business cards and we will be asking our members for more specific actions later in the summer.

The firearms community and the industry that supports it can accomplish much more by approaching the Harper government with requests that are both palatable and possible. Gun owners have trusted their advocacy associations to represent their vested interest in Ottawa for many years, and we need your support now more than ever. Rest assured we will be seeking firearms freedoms on your behalf. This is the first time our government has pledged to roll back a so-called “gun control” measure, and it will require diplomacy and tact to negotiate additional measures.

Tony Bernardo
CSSA/CILA

#2 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I trust you have gun owners best interests at heart, but what position are you supporting on our behalf? Just an immediate end to the gun registry?

#3 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

"abolish" seems pretty straight forward with little to no wiggle room....with no need for negotiations.

too bad our friend steve harper wasnt as quick to act on this as he was appointing some of his defeated friends.....
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#4 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationWittenburg

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

CSSA/CILA Stands for? What is you`re mission?
The knowledge of non-knowledge is power

#5 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2325 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Here is a link to the CSSA home page. http://www.cdnshooti....org/index.html

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#6 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

"abolish" seems pretty straight forward with little to no wiggle room....with no need for negotiations.

too bad our friend steve harper wasnt as quick to act on this as he was appointing some of his defeated friends.....

He only appointed his cabinet yesterday, so please enlighten us all how you expected them to table a bill and debate it before parliment even reconviened :blink:

#7 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

it was just more a shot at him appointing some defeated buds to the senate than anything else....

and the reason i find it noteworthy is that steve H was very opposed to senate appointments, and, one of his failed promises from waay back when was to reform the senate.....i think maybe even abolish it and make it an elected senate......i truely hope he really means abolish when he refers to the gun registry!

nothing more...nothing less.....hope this enlightens my post some!
every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#8 Cranky Pants

Cranky Pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

I'd like to place my trust in an organization that claims to represent our interests but as Canadians, we have complacency to a fault and a habit of asking for little and accepting less.

I'd like to see what they are asking for first, the anti's are extreme, we need to be aggressive in our demands and let the government pick the happy medium.

"Gun owners have trusted their advocacy associations to represent their vested interest in Ottawa for many years"

And we've been fighting a losing battle so far.

#9 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

it was just more a shot at him appointing some defeated buds to the senate than anything else....

and the reason i find it noteworthy is that steve H was very opposed to senate appointments, and, one of his failed promises from waay back when was to reform the senate.....i think maybe even abolish it and make it an elected senate......i truely hope he really means abolish when he refers to the gun registry!

nothing more...nothing less.....hope this enlightens my post some!

You do realize that for a bill to become law it has to pass through the senate .... which was Liberal dominated. Harper had no chance whatsoever of abolishing the Senate without first obtaining a tory majority of senators :D

#10 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

A message to our members:

In the wake of the CPC majority of May 2, the CSSA is advocating a single-window communications approach to lobbying the government on behalf of responsible firearms owners.

We hope that gun owners will recognize that an ad hoc writing campaign to MPs could cause more confusion than clarity.

Ummmmmm....

"Clarity"...??
"Lobbying"..??
"Confusion".??

He said what he was going to do with it when he had majority in Govt.
He's go it.
Leave em alone and let him do it.
He's been quite clear on what he plans to do...please don't confuse him or make it seem like we would now settle for anything less than what he claimed by lobbying him.

When or if he waivers and does something other than what he said he would...

HANG EM OUT!!

#11 birddawg

birddawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have an issue with anyone who tries to discourage people from contacting their MP and speaking their mind. I don't remember hearing any groups caling for such restraint before the election. So what if there are differing points of view on some of the details? It's ludicrous to suggest that will somehow obscure the main goal of scrapping the LGR. The rest is minutiae. Pressure from the grassroots is what keeps an issue front-and-centre.

This smacks of someone from within the ranks of government warning CSSA to call off the dogs.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom. - Chief Sitting Bull

#12 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

I don't happen to agree with the request myself.

however I think some of you may have misread it. They are not talking about the LGR, as the note says, the gov'e has already pledged to do that. The last few words in the request clarify what they are targeting: "and it will require diplomacy and tact to negotiate additional measures."

Addition, as in requests beyond getting rid of the LGR.

I have no idea what people are asking for, but from some of the threads on this board I can assume they may be things like:
- Gun Owner Licensing Changes
- Gun Classification Changes (ie: some guns that are currently restricted being made non-restricted).
- Hunting regulation changes (Yes, I realize this is provincial - doesn't mean others won't ask the national gov't)
- etc...?

I am just guessing here, but thought I'd toss that out as some people seem to think they are talking about the LGR promise when the request says "This is the first time our government has pledged to roll back a so-called “gun control” measure" which means they understand that is a promise already made.

Rob

#13 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Definition - LGR = long gun registry...

A list of legally owned rifles and shotguns.

#14 birddawg

birddawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Regardless of whether they're talking about the LGR or subsequent changes, it's this phrasing that irks me:

"We urge firearms owners to resist the temptation to tell MPs what they are seeking from this government, as not all gun owners are of one mind."

It's just an ill-advised statement. Might just as well say, "Let us do the talking, because if the rest of you try and express your opinions you'll just muck things up."

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom. - Chief Sitting Bull

#15 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Regardless of whether they're talking about the LGR or subsequent changes, it's this phrasing that irks me:

"We urge firearms owners to resist the temptation to tell MPs what they are seeking from this government, as not all gun owners are of one mind."

It's just an ill-advised statement. Might just as well say, "Let us do the talking, because if the rest of you try and express your opinions you'll just muck things up."

X2. That is the part I have trouble with as well. Odd position to take.

#16 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Really all the LGR was, was redundancy. I was in a Gun shop last year and we got on the topic, the owner said here take a look at this.. He had showed me a log of every gun he sold since '86, I think that is when it became mandatory, I'm not sure... it listed what is was, the serial#, who it was sold to, there address, phone, etc. Wasn't that really good enough?? Wasn't that like a registry of owners' of long guns as well as restricted??

I believe that was going on longer than that (86) at least at the bigger shops.
My first .22 is in the books somewhere in Canadian Tire,long before I had a brown or orange card.
I'd almost bet thats whats going to happen...shopkeepers will be responsible for bookkeeping and they will charge extra for it.
Just imagine if the Govt. ever got a real handle on it and started looking for applicable taxes on every firearm sold.

#17 just_me1962

just_me1962

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationWeymouth, Digby County

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

You do realize that for a bill to become law it has to pass through the senate .... which was Liberal dominated. Harper had no chance whatsoever of abolishing the Senate without first obtaining a tory majority of senators :D

The senate can't be abolished wwithout reopening the constitution and a majority of provinces would have to agree. If abolished the smaller provinces, like us, would have less representation.

The Conservative, and they are NOT tories, are just like the Liberals in their use of the senate- a reward for political bag men and media who support the party. No differnt, well maybe worse because they actually said they would be different.

#18 jimmerp

jimmerp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Locationvalley

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I am rather appalled by the lack of concern for organized gun lobby here in Canada. The responses to this thread show how apethetic a large portion of this forum group is. Organised lobby groups who consult with their respective advisory councils get results. Just look how it has worked for bow and crossbow hunters provincally. Membership in an organization such as the CSSA or the NFA can only be a good thing. Large memberships mean large voting blocks and polititians will cater to the wants of these votes. Sure its great to give an MP a piece of your mind all by yourself., but it is like one drop of rain hitting their face at a time; they never feel that they are in danger of getting soaked. However, when a five gallon bucket full gets dumped on their head all together they scramble!! The anti gun movement is CONSTANTLY on their soapbox. If our side remains no more than a whisper we can only expect to lose. GET OFF YOUR CRANKY ARSES AND JOIN! If you can afford to hunt you cannot afford to stand by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users