2,600 Coyotes Killed After Nova Scotia Government Takes Out Bounty On Animals - Hunting in the News - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

2,600 Coyotes Killed After Nova Scotia Government Takes Out Bounty On Animals

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 wibskey

wibskey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

HALIFAX - More than 2,600 coyotes were killed during the first year of Nova Scotia's bounty hunt on the animals, about 900 more than the year before.

The provincial government introduced the $20-per-pelt bounty to encourage more trappers to hunt the animals, which have been turning up in more populated areas of Nova Scotia in recent years.

The Natural Resources Department says $52,860 was paid out for the 2,643 coyotes that were killed from last October to the end of the hunting season on March 31.

There were 1,736 coyotes killed the year before the bounty was in place.

The province brought in the bounty after a young Toronto woman was attacked and killed by coyotes while hiking in Cape Breton in October 2009.

The government says it will review this year's hunt to determine if the bounty will continue.

Source

#2 Please Delete

Please Delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

That's not a bad increase...I'd like to see more taken next year, but if they get harder to find...that'd be ok too. lol But I doubt that'll be the case.

#3 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Too bad they didn't have a number for the ones they...WE... DIDN'T pay for.

#4 Mecheng

Mecheng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

I hope the kill rate keeps up, this rainy spring will hurt the herd enough as it is. Not having to feed 2600 coyotes is a good thing.

#5 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

It's times like this I wish nshunting had a "Like" button, lol :D

Crock

#6 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8805 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

I believe it does crock....

If you look at the bottom right of each post you will see a small green circle with a plus in it....?
I just clicked it on the original post here and it increased to 1.... ;)

#7 Rambo

Rambo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationPorters Lake, NS

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Never noticed that before KPR... good to know for sure! I "plus'd" it too haha

Heres a question: I know very little about the laws when it comes to trapping. How long is a licensed trapper allowed to snair coyotes?

#8 prettyboy

prettyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Lets put the pressure on to increase the bounty to $100 that will put a real dent in the population.

#9 Hfx.Hunter

Hfx.Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

An excellent start,but obviously a lot more work to be done :D

#10 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Never noticed that before KPR... good to know for sure! I "plus'd" it too haha

Heres a question: I know very little about the laws when it comes to trapping. How long is a licensed trapper allowed to snair coyotes?

The legal snaring season is from Nov 25 to the end of Feburary only.

Nusiance snaring can be done by permit only.

Every thing else is illegal. If you see it report it.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#11 slinkey

slinkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thats a good number of coyotes.Time will tell if it did anything to the population but i doubt it.Seems to be alot of interest now in hunting them which should help keep the numbers at bay a bit.Still haven't seen one in quite some time now but heard a group of them howling a couple of days ago while out fishing.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11418 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Lets put the pressure on to increase the bounty to $100 that will put a real dent in the population.

Even 75.00 would be enough to buy a new .223 and get serious :)

#13 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

I think like always the #s are a bit wrong . Thought we caught 2200 last saeson. They saying on the radio as well here 900 more then last season.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#14 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

If they want to do some more studies, scat could be collected through out the province by trappers and hunters.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#15 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

From the DNR web site news release:

Under the incentive program, 366 trappers harvested 2,643 coyote pelts. A total of $52,860 was paid to trappers who properly prepared and shipped pelts to market. Last year, 268 licensed trappers harvested and exported 1,736 pelts.

#16 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hopefully DNR keeps the incentive going to make a true drop in the population.
Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#17 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

Too bad they didn't have a number for the ones they...WE... DIDN'T pay for.

just one from me!tooooo much snow! :angry:
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#18 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Increase the incentive to 25 dollars and all hunters and trappers can make a claim,thats what will help ,a real bounty versus an incentive program for trappers. Afterall I believe the business or economics of having an incentive program or bounty or cull,whatever you choose to call it has great potential for being a economic boost for businesses that cater to supplies required to hunt and trap as well. B)
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#19 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAmherst

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

So are they just counting trappers or is that the total turned in because if it is total that would through a wrench in their #s as the year before would just be trappers only and hunted coyotes were not recorded

#20 Black Feather

Black Feather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

There was a fair number that were not processed and shipped, I know one person that shot 9 and just left them in the woods and I know of another who shot two while deer hunting and left them in the woods some did get turned over to trappers to process and a few were retained to tan but there is no way to truly know how many were terminated. What was the total number of deer or other game killed in the province ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users