Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Bears And The Rcmp

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ursusmania 
#1 ·
A police officer had a surprising face-to-face encounter with a bear cub in central Newfoundland last week.

"She was not aware of it until she felt him brush up against her leg," according to an RCMP news release Wednesday.

Const. Suzanne Bourque was patrolling the Terra Nova National Park, almost 200 kilometres west of St. John's, when she was advised that there was a bear cub at one of the park's rest stops.

Bourque investigated and she found the creature. The RCMP said the cub walked towards Bourque while she was talking to witnesses who said people were feeding the cub, which appeared to have been separated from its mother.

While no one was injured, police are warning people not to approach cubs because a dangerous, protective female bear may be nearby.

Wildlife officials also say that feeding a bear puts the animal at risk.

Bears that are fed by humans sometimes become a nuisance once they become comfortable with people - and some of those bears are eventually killed by wildlife officials or by police.

Police said the cub that Bourque encountered was captured and released in a more remote part of Terra Nova park, away from people.

See less See more
#10 ·
I suspect as tame looking as it is they could bait it into a cage/live trap pretty easy.
Tranquilizing them apparently is a bit risky.
If they over guess the wieght it can cause problems for it.(bear)
If they under guess it can cause problems for them (dnr)

#14 ·
Its not this years cub. Its last years. It would not be uncommon to see yearlings, especially sows under 50 pounds right now. A cub from this January would be around 8-12 pounds in Late May early June and growing quickly. KPR is right that they are weening onto soild foods now, but may nurse right into the fall, and sometimes through the next winter(though they may not be getting milk).

If you look at the "bear in my yard" post the picturs of the two cubs walking on the ground is typical of a Mid to Late May cubs in terms of size.

#12 ·
I think cubs born this winter would be being weened now so they will switch to natural foods as momma will be teaching them where and what to eat plus she needs to start on building for another winter and possibly more cubs.
I've seen smaller cubs than that at baitsites alone and with a momma.
Even saw one much smaller than that that had obviously been orphaned adopted by another bear with another cub twice it's size.
Bit of probs/jealousy with the bigger cub to start but they got along after a week or so,least they appeared to.
They certainly are an amazing critter and unlike what most believe not just dumb eating machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.