#1 ScottU

ScottU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone else here has gotten one of these muzzle loaders? If so, what type of powder are you using in it, as well as primers? I know everyone tries something different, just looking for differences, and ease of use from powders to pellets. Does anyone use White Hots vs Triple 7 pellets and why? I just got this gun, to get a jump on the season, and the weather a bit earlier, and looking for insights. 

Initial Cleaning - Does this guy need to be broken down and cleaned with soap and water prior to taking it to the range?

Scope vs Sights - Is there a preference? 

Thanks for your time in advance

#2 Mercer

Mercer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hey Scott,

I shoot a CVA Optima, not the traditions but most of your questions would apply just as well to any type of Inline Muzzle loader

Sight vs Scope is definitely a personal preference. I have tried to shoot with open sights and don't find I have much accuracy beyond 25 yards, so I strictly hunt with a scope. In my opinion a good scope is just as important as a good gun. If you can't see what you're aiming at you don't have a very good chance of hitting it. I shoot a Vortex Diamondback on my Muzzle Loader and a Leupold VX-II on my BLR. Both are fantastic optics.

I've tried the white hots, and triple 7 pellets, and prefer Blackhorn 209 over the pellets. I found the Blackhorn was more consistent and burned cleaner. I picked up a few powder charge tubes (Here's a link)  which make it very easy and quick to measure, carry and load the powder. I think I bought mine from Young Guns in Porters Lake. (That's also where the gun, powder and scope came from. Great guy to deal with) 

I would use a bore spray to clean instead of soap/water. Thompson Center and Traditions both make good ones, you can pick up a bottle for $10-15. Make sure you put grease on the threads of your breach plug after you clean, otherwise it can be pretty tough to get out after you shoot.

Powerbelt Platinums have worked great for me. Give a few rounds a try to see what works well in your gun.

#3 308forme

308forme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Triple7 powder.  100 gr load.  scope.  I have a CVA Wolf.  Not too bad to about 100 yards....after that... Good Luck.  Switching to Powerbelts this year to try to improve distance accuracy beyond 100 yards.  I hunt fields so shots are a bit longer.  

#4 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5688 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

Scott u- have the same muzzleloader.I use the white hots and find them somewhat cleaner.
However I don't intend to hunt with it anymore.Shot one deer with it and where I was if he had not of dropped on the spot I may of had a lot of trouble finding him.I pulled the trigger and couldn't see through the smoke for about 10 seconds or so.If the deer had of ran I wouldn't of had a clue which way he went!Gonna stick with the bow.
Just a range gun now.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#5 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

I pulled the trigger and couldn't see through the smoke for about 10 seconds or so.If the deer had of ran I wouldn't of had a clue which way he went!Gonna stick with the bow.
Just a range gun now.

Another plus about Blackhorn 209 (mentioned above by Mercer)...very little smoke so you can see what happens after the shot.

#6 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

If you have access to blackhorn 209, I see no reason to use anything else.It is accurate, doesn't smoke too much and cleans up quite easily.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#7 The Accountant

The Accountant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Purchased my first muzzleloader recently and used BH 209 with Barnes T-EZ 250 grain. I put 2 holes in the same place without swabbing between shots. I'm a fan. 

#8 DavidRM

DavidRM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

this is the load I use it works and works well. 90 gr blackhorn 209 it,s  not affected by humidity extremely long shelf life barnes 250 gr spit fire and Winchester 209 primers   good luck

#9 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

Blackhorn 209 is what I use as well and I think its the best other than its hard to find at a decent price

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#10 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

Blackhorn 209 is what I use as well and I think its the best other than its hard to find at a decent price

BP in Moncton had it for $49.99 per 10oz can.  If you shoot 100 grain charges (by volume), a can should yield 62 shots.

120 grain - 52 shots

110 grain - 57 shots

90 grain - 69 shots

I'm not sure how this compares in price to T7 or white hot pellets...

#11 BSA.308

BSA.308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

Hi ScottU, 

Yes, I do have the traditions buckstalker.  I have it scoped (traditions 3x9-40), and sighted it in last weekend.  I am hand casting a 255 grain round nose flat top bullet, black .452 diameter 50 cal sabot, winchester shotgun primers (blue box), and loose tripple seven powder.  Off of the bench, and cleaning between shots, i was able to produce a 3 shot group that clover leafed at 75 yards, 1 inch high.  All holes were touching.  

I think for an entry level muzzie, youre on your way once you find your magic combo...I know ive found mine.

May your aim be true and your adventures safe.

#12 ScottU

ScottU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

I have picked up a box of white hots for 39.99 for 72 pellets at CT this morning. Just easier for load and re-load for me. Has anyone else used these? Are they good for any muzzleloader? 

#13 Erndog67

Erndog67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

good place for white hots after season is in the garbage, power goes downhill. 209 is consistent year over year if stored properly.

#14 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

good place for white hots after season is in the garbage, power goes downhill. 209 is consistent year over year if stored properly.

Not sure just what the point is. I have tried them all, the old muzzle loaders etc, the new versions etc. Settled with white hot's, best accuracy for bullet combo. After several years I take my old disgarded powder (white hot's) and bullets to the range and use them for site ins, never an issue. They always perform. All are subject to moisture, leaving powder loads in the barrel after hunting, or long through damp conditions runs the risk of poor performance. Shooting targets is one thing, taking home an animal with the muzzle loader each year is another, I have no problem they work excellent for me. 

#15 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

White Hots and 245gr Powerbelts worked great for me on these two. Bear in mind, I only use my ML as a short range weapon....out to 50yds.  Just tried Imgur.....it works !  >Pete

GSQSZYm.jpg

BQrf9P3.jpg

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5688 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Nice deer young fella !
I use white hots as well-had some I bought two years ago- used them at the range to-day.No Problems.Gonna let my nephew use it this year,( teaching him to hunt ).
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#17 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

Nice looking animals.

#18 ScottU

ScottU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

WOW, great looking harvest Pete! What is the typical shelf life for the white hots anyway?

Does anyone use a muzzelloader with just the "iron" sights? Mine didn't come with a scope, and I am contemplating just using the sights for the upcoming season, as I probably won't have time or the funds to pick one up and sight it in before the season. Hockey tryouts for the son is eating away at my weekends as well. I won't be shooting further then 25-50 yards given where my stand is, so I figured the "iron" sights would due me for this season.

#19 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

ScottU....used open sights for a lot of years when I first started to hunt. I still have a 22 with open sites that I use once and awhile just to stay familiar with it. At short range you should be fine.  >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#20 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

I'm guessing that they are fiber optic sights...should be pretty good at the ranges you mentioned even for "older eyes".  Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users