#1 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Just a quick question.... when I’m finished hunting.... with my muzzle loader.... i just take the primer out and put the gun in the case for the drive home. Is the gun now considered “unloaded” and safe and legal for transport ??

#2 orso

orso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

If the primer/cap is out, it’s considered unloaded

#3 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, orso.... thats the answer i was hoping for.

#4 orso

orso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

No worries, glad to help

#5 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Just a quick question.... when I’m finished hunting.... with my muzzle loader.... i just take the primer out and put the gun in the case for the drive home. Is the gun now considered “unloaded” and safe and legal for transport ??

No. That is NOT "unloaded", and that does NOT meet the minimum requirements of the Firearms Act for legal transport to your home.

To assure your compliance with the law, you must reference the actual law, and the actual legal definition for "unloaded".

unloaded, in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. (non chargée)

• 10 (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

• (a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

• ( b ) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

• (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

• (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

• (  b ) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

• (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

• (a) is not visible; and

• ( b ) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)

http://laws-lois.jus...-209/index.html

Firearms Act   (S.C. 1995, c. 39)

http://laws-lois.jus...11.6/index.html

#6 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Wendell.... not sure what you are trying to tell me here.... but says in black and white sec. 10(1) sub sec b....as long as the primer...firing cap...or whatever you want to call it.... is removed from the muzzle loader....it is in fact legal to transport.

#7 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Wendell.... not sure what you are trying to tell me here.... but says in black and white sec. 10(1) sub sec b....as long as the primer...firing cap...or whatever you want to call it.... is removed from the muzzle loader....it is in fact legal to transport.

Two key words: "...between hunting sites."

You said: "...i just take the primer out and put the gun in the case for the drive home..." Had you said: "...for the drive to the next hunting site..." the answer would be different.

Do whatever you want. Follow the law if you want to. Break the law if you want to.

The consequences will be ALL on you.

#8 eh class

eh class

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

what Wendell is saying is correct , if you are going home it isn't unloaded by just removing the percussion cap , flint or priming powder . You can however transport between hunting sites like that . 

I don't need to wait for hunting season , I shoot year round

#9 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1750 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

what Wendell is saying is correct , if you are going home it isn't unloaded by just removing the percussion cap , flint or priming powder . You can however transport between hunting sites like that . 

Absolutely  - transporting between sites and being unloaded are totally separate issues. If you aren't transporting between sites then remove the projectile and powder (or pellets).   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#10 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

I see what you guys are saying. If i get stopped by DNR.... I’ll just tell them I’m going to a different hunting site. I really do not see the difference between transporting between hunting sites or transporting between hunting site and home.... still transporting a “loaded” muzzle loader.

#11 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

I was stopped a couple years ago by a young conservation officer with my muzzleloader .

He was shocked I was carrying it in the regular season .

He asked if it was loaded and I said "there is a load in the barrel but no primer"

He seemed somewhat confused and I got the impression he really didn't have any experience with muzzleloaders

we talked and he said have a nice day

I have heard of guys leaving the load in the gun for several days after taking the primer out 

I would not recommend this because of condensation from the changing temperatures like car to cold camp

It can cause big problem with the powder causing poor shots and very dangerous if you forget.

#12 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

I left the load (minus the primer) in mine for 5 days and emptied the gun after that 5th day because i knew it would be a while before i got back in the woods. I shoot blackhorn 209 powder and feel very comfortable leaving it in the gun for 5 or 6 days. My muzzy and even my rifle during regular season lives in my truck. I leave them in the truck to minimize the temperature fluctuations.

#13 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

I thinks it's best to take the charge of powder and projectile out of the gun when you finish hunting for the day myself.

As a side note I was shooting my ML on the weekend at a range and I noticed quite a difference in the sound and recoil from and older almost empty bottle and a newly opened bottle of powder.

I use Blackhorn 209.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#14 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Interesting, the federal act Wendell posted contradicts the NS wildlife act.  I wonder how that would play out in the unlikely situation where you were charged....?

I believe subsection "b" is what we are discussing in this thread....

From the NS Wildlife act:
Loaded firearm 84 (1) In subsection (2), “loaded firearm” includes
(a) in the case of a breach-loading [breech-loading] firearm, a firearm carrying shells or cartridges in the breach [breech] or in a magazine attached to the firearm;
(B) in the case of a percussion muzzle-loading firearm, a firearm charged with powder and projectile when the percussion cap is in place on the firearm; and
© in the case of a flint-lock [flintlock] muzzle-loading firearm, a firearm the barrel of which is charged with powder and projectile and the frizzen or pan of which is charged with powder.

http://nslegislature...es/wildlife.pdf

#15 orso

orso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Section 10(2) and (3) apply to an "unattended" vehicle, so they would not apply if you are travelling home as the vehicle would be "attended". But there does appear to be a contradiction between the regulations, but there may be something being missed here. In the Federal definition of "Unloaded" that Wendell kindly showed us, the key phrase is "can be discharged". In the case of a muzzleloader, if the ignition source is taken out it "cannot be discharged", therefore would be considered unloaded.

Just a thought, fell free to tear me apart haha

#16 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

X 2  greybeard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users