#21 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2747 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

If I go out on the deck at night and I don't hear them, it makes me wonder why I am not hear them that night.

I heard them one afternoon a couple weeks ago while the sun was still shining.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#22 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Stick your head out the door and listen when you hear a siren. What ever it is about those they will start to howl regardless of time of day or season I find

Cheers

#23 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2747 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

I don't hear any sirens where I live, but traffic on the highway about a kilometer or more away gets them excited when drivers start driving on the rumble strips at the side of the road.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#24 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Spent 4 days scouting in zone 104. Only seen 2 tracks in the many many kilometers ice walked looked like doe with fawn. Set bear snare yesterday think I might be hanging up the deer rifle.

#25 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

I have bears at every one of my deer sites. No Bucks sighted yet on the cameras but I have 4 large mature does at 1 site (none of them have fawns), 3 mature doe at another site (again no fawns present) and a single doe at my third site (again, no fawn). Its been a very unusual year that I haven't seen any fawns. I suspect I'll be seeing Bucks soon with the mature does around. Also, I'm finding that the bears are interrupting the normal travel patterns of the deer. The sightings are sporadic this year than in previous years.

I've tagged out on both my bear tags and I'm still getting them at every one of my sites. I had a Sow with 3 cubs earlier in the season but they have moved on, likely due to the presence of so many Boars being around. 

#26 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Guys, I think it would be a very good idea to send all the trail cam bear pics your getting to DNR.this should be accompanied by your personal observations on the low fawn numbers and the number of dry does you're seeing. This might be the catylist that gets a spring bear hunt going in this province. Not seeing any bears where we hunt but that's because there are none in the area.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#27 pei7.62mmx39

pei7.62mmx39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

in zone 110 I have had 4 bears in the deer apples ,ate 160 lbs In 2 nights ,pics of all 4 ,also have a large doe wit a fawn but a larger one ,and a buck around 7 points ,bear scat everywhere ,deer seem to be at te apples less than 2 min and the bears show up in next pic .spring bear hunt like NB .I am in !!

#28 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Guys, I think it would be a very good idea to send all the trail cam bear pics your getting to DNR.this should be accompanied by your personal observations on the low fawn numbers and the number of dry does you're seeing. This might be the catylist that gets a spring bear hunt going in this province. Not seeing any bears where we hunt but that's because there are none in the area.

Great idea Nomad. I'll be sending mine along to DNR with an observation report. 

#29 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9296 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

When I was asked a few of the observation questions at my deer registration station,  I told the young fellow who registered my deer that the numbers were wayyy down where I hunt. First and only deer I saw while on stand...30 hours of sit time. He said they were down a fair bit where he hunted too.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#30 tackdriver

tackdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Locationvalley

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

I started seeing bears in zone 104 about 4 years ago. I had never had one on the camera until then. Now it's a regular thing in that area. I have a few small bucks coming but not many does or fawns. I've been hunting pretty hard since opening day and have not seen a deer yet.

#31 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

The boys are getting them now in frenchvale and frambois on their cams.

So they are not far off

Cheers

#32 Long Range

Long Range

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationHant county

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

I hate to say this but with all the efforts in deer hunting, coyote countermeasures, and deer herd management a 8 pointer is hanging in the garage my bother and self working together he smokepoled him at 60y. went back this am at10;30 to the spot and 2 big does moving thru. never seen me. One blind 3 different does, Blind behind house 8 does and fawns, another 3 does, food plots getting a of different hits and new sign at my false scrape.WE always had bears and good herd sizes add youtes and one bad winter low deer #s. Buy the way we took sleds and beat paths for ourselves and the deer in that deep snow winter and they used them, Also increased presence in the area all winter an actively took on  the youtes. If all deer hunters worked to get rid of the youtes  and get out there in the off season, there would be larger deer herds , and yes also I bear hunt   :ph34r:. Instead some of them  showing up at there spots in Oct and exspecting deer to magically appear. Sadly enough. Just my take!!!!!!

#33 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

Wonder if the thousands of pounds of bait left in the NS woods is contributing to the high bear population.  With that abundant extra food source bears certainly aren't hurting for fat stores as they den up for winter.  With extra fat stores I wonder if that contributes to the fertility rate of sows i.e an extra cub or 2 per litter.

#34 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Wonder if the thousands of pounds of bait left in the NS woods is contributing to the high bear population.  With that abundant extra food source bears certainly aren't hurting for fat stores as they den up for winter.  With extra fat stores I wonder if that contributes to the fertility rate of sows i.e an extra cub or 2 per litter.

Might have something to do with it but I'd say the relatively low number of bear hunters is the biggest factor.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#35 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

I will ask the same question every year this topic comes up......if people are hunting in areas,where they are aware the populations are struggling,why contribute?Why not take a year or two off the pressure?Or possibly hunt in zones where the numbers are decent?I dont get it,many talk about micro managing,being responsible hunters and such....but their still out there hunting areas where the deer numbers are low and they are completely aware of it.Is the sport and the kill more important?cant be to provide meat for the family,cause its cheaper to buy at cosco than to persue a whitetailed deer these days lol.I just dont understand:/

#36 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

Wonder if the thousands of pounds of bait left in the NS woods is contributing to the high bear population. With that abundant extra food source bears certainly aren't hurting for fat stores as they den up for winter. With extra fat stores I wonder if that contributes to the fertility rate of sows i.e an extra cub or 2 per litter.

Guaranteed it does

#37 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Protecting female bears with cubs, and lack of hunters, aids them in growing their numbers. If we did the same for does, maybe it would make a difference.

#38 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Protecting female bears with cubs, and lack of hunters, aids them in growing their numbers. If we did the same for does, maybe it would make a difference.

IMO maybe is the key word. I think it all depends on making sure we know what the root cause of the problem is. Look at the cape must be 25 years since we could shoot a doe and the deer numbers are still terrible. Maybe back to 25% of what they were before the crash

Cheers

#39 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

IMO maybe is the key word. I think it all depends on making sure we know what the root cause of the problem is. Look at the cape must be 25 years since we could shoot a doe and the deer numbers are still terrible. Maybe back to 25% of what they were before the crash

Cheers

You know 3macs to my dismay this October I seen more deer sign in the Margaree area than moose, seen 6 deer one morning. Areas were it was moose coming of the mountains it was deer, orchards it was deer, and a lot of old farms deer. To me it was great to see because I believe in that area the moose had a part in the low deer numbers. 

#40 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

I will ask the same question every year this topic comes up......if people are hunting in areas,where they are aware the populations are struggling,why contribute?Why not take a year or two off the pressure?Or possibly hunt in zones where the numbers are decent?I dont get it,many talk about micro managing,being responsible hunters and such....but their still out there hunting areas where the deer numbers are low and they are completely aware of it.Is the sport and the kill more important?cant be to provide meat for the family,cause its cheaper to buy at cosco than to persue a whitetailed deer these days lol.I just dont understand:/

Don't understand it either,the province ain't that small.
Why I hunt so many different places.my traditional place happens to be in the same vicinity as Pete and deer numbers aren't the best.Hunt there very seldom now and won't shoot a doe there.I do hunt partridge there tho.I only shoot does elsewhere if I feel the population can handle it.My son and I hunt together ;along with an other time to time; We NEVER take more than one deer out of any of our areas.
Although Pete is doing a great job helping the herd in that area!!!
ps-store bought meat NOT as good!!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users