Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hey everybody
HAVE A SUPER DUPER DAY !!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#42 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Good on u ddd.Every time this is brought up,and people are aware of low numbers in areas they hunt,theyre still punching a tag!!!!
Responsible hunters?It makes no sence to me:/
All i hear is crickets.....and no doubt
Back to tendin the woodfire and knitting some socks😑

#43 Long Range

Long Range

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationHant county

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

In our hunting co op we shoot one doe in one large hunting area then stick to bucks . limit one per area.The area in back of home is now shut down to our group.Most of the time we stick to bucks only.Manage your herds.

#44 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

I don't hear any sirens where I live, but traffic on the highway about a kilometer or more away gets them excited when drivers start driving on the rumble strips at the side of the road.

Just thinking about you. Started to rain so I figured I would call it a day since I am pretty much ready for the winter

Locking up the barn and I could hear  a siren coming so started to listen sure enough wasn't long I could hear two howling behind the house quite a distance apart

Going to have to find you one of the old hand crank sirens ;)

Take care

#45 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

As a young hunter, I've spent the last three years without using my tag. This year tag soup is getting old, and I find myself thinking "should I shoot the first legal deer I see?" This season has been oddly frustrating for me. I lost my go to spot due to vandals ( :angry:), Had two shooter bucks on cam at my new spot the first week of October, and haven't seen them since, Don't even get me started on the temperature.... I'm really starting to consider giving up deer hunting this year all together. The population of deer is really concerning. Places that had deer last year, have hardly any. Question though, Are "dry" does dry forever? or is it just this season. Been watching this one doe all season and shes always alone. Is it possible for her to breed and have young next year? 

There is no Wifi in the woods, but you will find a better connection.

#46 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

As a young hunter, I've spent the last three years without using my tag. This year tag soup is getting old, and I find myself thinking "should I shoot the first legal deer I see?" This season has been oddly frustrating for me. I lost my go to spot due to vandals ( :angry:), Had two shooter bucks on cam at my new spot the first week of October, and haven't seen them since, Don't even get me started on the temperature.... I'm really starting to consider giving up deer hunting this year all together. The population of deer is really concerning. Places that had deer last year, have hardly any. Question though, Are "dry" does dry forever? or is it just this season. Been watching this one doe all season and shes always alone. Is it possible for her to breed and have young next year? 

Hang in there, sometimes things have a way of taking an unexpected turn. Good luck may be just around the corner. You do as you see fit, tag soup sucks. If I was handy I would try to help you out but I am in the valley. Deer are not plentiful in many parts. We as hunters can try to save the deer by coming up with ideas or practices, unfortunately man clearing woods, building highways, parking lots etc, has depleted a lot of the area for all wildlife. I bet many at one time hunted at Dartmouth crossing, or the Halifax airport, she is not going to get better from what I see. In the Valley the days of deer being consistently here or there is over, the few that exist move great distances to what is the most attractive food source, safe haven etc. Every year one is moving to try other locations. This is the best stretch coming up give her.

#47 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Woodsmaster- there is a difference between a dry doe and a DRY doe,lol.Sometimes does live beyond there ability to breed,just like humans.Many say dry doe,meaning they shot a doe that wasn't nursing.Hard to tell one from the other,but older does appear older and usually bigger.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#48 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2517 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Dry doe is one without a present year fawn. Doesn’t necessarily mean the doe cannot bear young – she may have lost this year’s embryo(s) or fawn(s).
Seeing a doe by itself can also mean she’s in heat & looking for a buck. She wont wait around for one to find her.

Don’t give up on the deer WM. I realize its frustrating.
As a suggestion – go hunting with a shotgun (take slugs & shot) or combo rifle/shotgun. Don’t spend your hunt time sitting over bait – go sneaking through the woods, at the ready for deer. If you see anything else you have a license for (and in season of course) open up on it with shot. You’ll see more of the country, experience a variety of critters, use woodslore more, etc, etc.
I did this for many years and this is how I showed my sons how to hunt – of course I have something called itchy feet syndrome. Sitting on stand and not getting any action can get pretty boring after a while – mix it up and get out there and expand the horizons trying something different.
Best of luck.

#49 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Dry doe is one without a present year fawn. Doesn’t necessarily mean the doe cannot bear young – she may have lost this year’s embryo(s) or fawn(s).
Seeing a doe by itself can also mean she’s in heat & looking for a buck. She wont wait around for one to find her.
As a suggestion – go hunting with a shotgun (take slugs & shot) or combo rifle/shotgun. Don’t spend your hunt time sitting over bait – go sneaking through the woods, at the ready for deer. If you see anything else you have a license for (and in season of course) open up on it with shot. You’ll see more of the country, experience a variety of critters, use woodslore more, etc, etc.
I did this for many years and this is how I showed my sons how to hunt – of course I have something called itchy feet syndrome. Sitting on stand and not getting any action can get pretty boring after a while – mix it up and get out there and expand the horizons trying something different.
Best of luck.

Itchy feet ! I call it impatient lol,love to still hunt tho.Great post.

#50 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2747 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Best of luck.

That's how I like to hunt, sitting in a stand I my see deer, but still hunting allows me to check the next field, ridge, hill and so on.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#51 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Appreciate the feedback guys! I usually hunt 104 but unfortunately my spot went up in flames....Literally. So I quickly made a new spot close to home in 103. I took a walk this afternoon and used the wet ground/wind to my advantage. Nice and slow...real quiet. Didn't see a whole lot but the deer seem to be moving through my area. The woods sure are a lot thicker here than on the south mountain lol

There is no Wifi in the woods, but you will find a better connection.

#52 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2747 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

Just thinking about you. Started to rain so I figured I would call it a day since I am pretty much ready for the winter

Locking up the barn and I could hear  a siren coming so started to listen sure enough wasn't long I could hear two howling behind the house quite a distance apart

Going to have to find you one of the old hand crank sirens ;)

Take care

3macs if you find me a hand crank siren I may be able to slay some of the many coyotes around here.

Glad to hear you are ready for winter...I'm getting there slow but sure

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#53 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

Best of luck.

That is a awesome suggestion right there! Could use that myself.

Wish I had a mentor growing up.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#54 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2747 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

I wish I had a mentor as well, I did have plenty of relatives on the eastern shore that instilled a love of hunting and guns though.

#55 E.D. Taxidermy

E.D. Taxidermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBass River Nova Scotia

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

I will ask the same question every year this topic comes up......if people are hunting in areas,where they are aware the populations are struggling,why contribute?Why not take a year or two off the pressure?Or possibly hunt in zones where the numbers are decent?I dont get it,many talk about micro managing,being responsible hunters and such....but their still out there hunting areas where the deer numbers are low and they are completely aware of it.Is the sport and the kill more important?cant be to provide meat for the family,cause its cheaper to buy at cosco than to persue a whitetailed deer these days lol.I just dont understand:/

This is my observation, take from it what you may.

Ive often attempted hunting public land on multiple occasions.  I found, where there are more deer (Usually 107 near, stewiacke and such, from what i've seen) There are more hunters and a lot more farmland and private land.  Without owner permission, much of the private land is inaccessible with the public land set right behind their fence line.  In many cases more and more "NO HUNTING" signs are appearing.  Given that and the fact hunters are not allowed to hunt agricultural land, farmers are allowed to lease public land for growing crops like blueberries, making it agricultural.

I have friends who have permission from farmers and report herds of about 20-30 deer on the farmed land, but the owner will only allow that one person to hunt there.  60% of Nova Scotia is privately owned which makes much of the areas where there are good deer populations difficult to reach without asking someone for access.  Drive down the 102 near Elmsdale and you see 10 or so cars lined up on the road, but Id be a bit nervous to sit in the bushes not knowing if I was in someone's line of fire.  Not to mention if you dont know the area, you may not know if you are encroaching on another hunter or if there is a camp just through the trees.  (Google maps is NOT a reliable source, its outdated)

Its easy to say "Go hunt where there are numbers."  But actually finding a place is much harder than expected.  We are not all gifted with easy access to large numbers, or permission to hunt on someone else's land.

By asking people to not hunt those areas, then expect more hunters in those areas already heavily populated with hunters.  Its my understanding that by asking people to drive 1 hour away, for whatever reason, even to hunt, they wont or will choose a closer alternative.  Most people seem to like being local.  It affords more hunting time both in hours and in days sitting in the stand.  The alternative is to not hunt at all....I dont see that happening.  Not everyone is a trophy hunter, some are meat hunters, so a doe or a buck is perfectly fine with them as long as they can fill the freezer.

To help numbers the DNR issued only doe 400 tags this last year to 108.  All the tags were claimed, obviously.  That being said, with the perceived low deer numbers, would it not be logical to petition DNR to not issue ANY doe tags for 108 instead of asking people to not hunt their area at all?    However, DNR does have a better understanding of the numbers in 108 and maybe they felt the numbers could sustain 400 doe tags.  It would seem logical though, as a responsible hunter, who is out in the woods more than DNR, to take up a petition and ask that 108 be buck only.  This kind of proactive action is what helps both the deer and the hunters. There is always going to be problems with weather, poaching and predation, we all know that.

As for the bears, Ive seen 6 bears last year and 4 this year all within a 10 kilometer radius, they were different bears, 2 were sows with cubs.  The first I saw had 1 cub, the second had 3. 

The blueberry fields were barely touched this year, farmers just didnt pick as much because the crop value was low.  Bears got a free buffet which in biology means More food = More breeding.  Bears being omnivores as well and opportunistic eaters, no matter if people bait or not, are going to hoover up every bit of food they can before the first snows.  This is the same food deer rely on in winter.  If a larger populace of bears are eating it, the deer are starving by mid-winter.  They will migrate out of the area in search of safer and easier food access.  Higher bear population and predation on fawns as well as food depletion really makes a difference.

That being said, many of the farmers out in 108 are growing corn this year.  The few deer that have been harvested in the area are reported as being very fat and very close to farmed land.  With corn available, deer wont wander far until those fields are harvested.  Even then, once the corn is off the land the deer will eat the silage.  They wont go far from their food source in winter, if its easier to eat off a field than scrounge twigs and withered apples in bear territory.  Bear will also eat off the corn, but its in abundance so both species are able to share.  As long as the food is easy to get the bear usually wont expend the energy to bother the deer.

Coyotes are certainly a factor.  Ive not observed many in my immediate area, nor heard any at night.  There do seem to be a huge number of raccoons and foxes though.  Im a firm believer in keeping the invasive predator "Wiley" under strict management.  I come from an area where there was a 0 survival rate in Pronghorn fawns due to excessive coyote predation.  Perhaps our sneaky friend is to blame for low fawn numbers?

So all told:

1. Inaccessible private land

2. Public land set behind private land with no access or easement

3. High bear population reducing food abundancy

4. Deer staying near agricultural areas

5. Large number of hunters on available private land causing safety concerns

6. More private land than public land available to hunters

As for buying meat at Costco, just my 2 cents:

Beef does NOT taste the same as it did and is often gross and disgusting.  Not to mention over priced and of dubious origin/treatment.  I for one love organic meat.  I raise my own chickens for eggs and trap rabbits for meat.  I have yet to get good at pheasant hunting, but I plan to harvest as much organic wild meat as possible to feed my family.  I do not like to contribute to the corporate meat industry.  Each year I try and get at least 1 deer.  Last year I did go to 107 and harvest my deer because the numbers were down in 108 since 2015.  I will say this though, there were far more deer last February around here than at this time this year.   

You gonna eat that?  :blink:

#56 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

E.D. I agree, very accurate assessment.

#57 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

I hear you WoodMaster, we are the same, tag soup every year! And this year it seems like it will served to the family again! No deer hardly seen all season so far. We are in Chelsea, outside of Bridgewater.

#58 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Ive often attempted hunting public land on multiple occasions.  I found, where there are more deer (Usually 107 near, stewiacke and such, from what i've seen) There are more hunters and a lot more farmland and private land.  Without owner permission, much of the private land is inaccessible with the public land set right behind their fence line.  In many cases more and more "NO HUNTING" signs are appearing.  Given that and the fact hunters are not allowed to hunt agricultural land, farmers are allowed to lease public land for growing crops like blueberries, making it agricultural.

I have friends who have permission from farmers and report herds of about 20-30 deer on the farmed land, but the owner will only allow that one person to hunt there.  60% of Nova Scotia is privately owned which makes much of the areas where there are good deer populations difficult to reach without asking someone for access.  Drive down the 102 near Elmsdale and you see 10 or so cars lined up on the road, but Id be a bit nervous to sit in the bushes not knowing if I was in someone's line of fire.  Not to mention if you dont know the area, you may not know if you are encroaching on another hunter or if there is a camp just through the trees.  (Google maps is NOT a reliable source, its outdated)

Its easy to say "Go hunt where there are numbers."  But actually finding a place is much harder than expected.  We are not all gifted with easy access to large numbers, or permission to hunt on someone else's land.

By asking people to not hunt those areas, then expect more hunters in those areas already heavily populated with hunters.  Its my understanding that by asking people to drive 1 hour away, for whatever reason, even to hunt, they wont or will choose a closer alternative.  Most people seem to like being local.  It affords more hunting time both in hours and in days sitting in the stand.  The alternative is to not hunt at all....I dont see that happening.  Not everyone is a trophy hunter, some are meat hunters, so a doe or a buck is perfectly fine with them as long as they can fill the freezer.

To help numbers the DNR issued only doe 400 tags this last year to 108.  All the tags were claimed, obviously.  That being said, with the perceived low deer numbers, would it not be logical to petition DNR to not issue ANY doe tags for 108 instead of asking people to not hunt their area at all?    However, DNR does have a better understanding of the numbers in 108 and maybe they felt the numbers could sustain 400 doe tags.  It would seem logical though, as a responsible hunter, who is out in the woods more than DNR, to take up a petition and ask that 108 be buck only.  This kind of proactive action is what helps both the deer and the hunters. There is always going to be problems with weather, poaching and predation, we all know that.

As for the bears, Ive seen 6 bears last year and 4 this year all within a 10 kilometer radius, they were different bears, 2 were sows with cubs.  The first I saw had 1 cub, the second had 3. 

The blueberry fields were barely touched this year, farmers just didnt pick as much because the crop value was low.  Bears got a free buffet which in biology means More food = More breeding.  Bears being omnivores as well and opportunistic eaters, no matter if people bait or not, are going to hoover up every bit of food they can before the first snows.  This is the same food deer rely on in winter.  If a larger populace of bears are eating it, the deer are starving by mid-winter.  They will migrate out of the area in search of safer and easier food access.  Higher bear population and predation on fawns as well as food depletion really makes a difference.

That being said, many of the farmers out in 108 are growing corn this year.  The few deer that have been harvested in the area are reported as being very fat and very close to farmed land.  With corn available, deer wont wander far until those fields are harvested.  Even then, once the corn is off the land the deer will eat the silage.  They wont go far from their food source in winter, if its easier to eat off a field than scrounge twigs and withered apples in bear territory.  Bear will also eat off the corn, but its in abundance so both species are able to share.  As long as the food is easy to get the bear usually wont expend the energy to bother the deer.

Coyotes are certainly a factor.  Ive not observed many in my immediate area, nor heard any at night.  There do seem to be a huge number of raccoons and foxes though.  Im a firm believer in keeping the invasive predator "Wiley" under strict management.  I come from an area where there was a 0 survival rate in Pronghorn fawns due to excessive coyote predation.  Perhaps our sneaky friend is to blame for low fawn numbers?

So all told:

Beef does NOT taste the same as it did and is often gross and disgusting.  Not to mention over priced and of dubious origin/treatment.  I for one love organic meat.  I raise my own chickens for eggs and trap rabbits for meat.  I have yet to get good at pheasant hunting, but I plan to harvest as much organic wild meat as possible to feed my family.  I do not like to contribute to the corporate meat industry.  Each year I try and get at least 1 deer.  Last year I did go to 107 and harvest my deer because the numbers were down in 108 since 2015.  I will say this though, there were far more deer last February around here than at this time this year.   

We as hunters have to ask why more and more land is inaccessible? Problem hunters, folks pretending. We have a few that recite the law over and over about accessing land. The real problem is many are not willing to leave there expensive toys home. Land is accessible for many if they want to walk. We got to cut the BS. Just about every hunting vehicle has an atv on it these days, where are they all going then? One has access to land behind private many times if they walk. I hunted in the Halifax area for over 10 years. What I seen was this. Someone parks along the highway and for some reason someone else in there mind figures that must be a good spot, so he parks there, then another and another, until there is as many as five cars. There is no reason for this that I can think of as I drive by. These hunters make me nervous. I used to call them Saturday hunters. Here is a point I have brought up many times, but those that argue can't seem to understand. If Nova Scotia is mostly private lands and you take the position that you can do what you wish, ignore landowners wishes because landowners do not own it, they just rent it, and you have as much right to it as them, where does one really think this will bring us. To smaller and smaller parcels of land, with more fighting. If we all could approach landowners respectively who knows what doors may open. Many have lost our trust, and we need them.

#59 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Yep been driving the 102 from hfx to.----- for many years now,this time of year.There have always been lots of " highway hunters" along it.Not as many as before but still very popular,there is lots of room in there in some places tho. The hubley Rd.( think it's called ) runs from exit 9 all the back to the clearing by exit 8 so there are others that go in that way too.Used to be a lot on opposite side of Hwy but problems caused land owners to post their land.
Many people who want to hunt don't know where to go and can't be bothered expending energy into finding a place.
Close is convenient and there are a lot of " hunters" afraid to venture to far into the woods; scared of getting lost; so the stay within hearing range of the highway.
Some places where you see 3-4 vechiles are access to hubley Rd,etc.
I've hunted off the 101-102 -103 and the 104 lots of times as well as off numerous secondary highways and other roads and..........

#60 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Ive often attempted hunting public land on multiple occasions. I found, where there are more deer (Usually 107 near, stewiacke and such, from what i've seen) There are more hunters and a lot more farmland and private land. Without owner permission, much of the private land is inaccessible with the public land set right behind their fence line. In many cases more and more "NO HUNTING" signs are appearing. Given that and the fact hunters are not allowed to hunt agricultural land, farmers are allowed to lease public land for growing crops like blueberries, making it agricultural.

I have friends who have permission from farmers and report herds of about 20-30 deer on the farmed land, but the owner will only allow that one person to hunt there. 60% of Nova Scotia is privately owned which makes much of the areas where there are good deer populations difficult to reach without asking someone for access. Drive down the 102 near Elmsdale and you see 10 or so cars lined up on the road, but Id be a bit nervous to sit in the bushes not knowing if I was in someone's line of fire. Not to mention if you dont know the area, you may not know if you are encroaching on another hunter or if there is a camp just through the trees. (Google maps is NOT a reliable source, its outdated)

Its easy to say "Go hunt where there are numbers." But actually finding a place is much harder than expected. We are not all gifted with easy access to large numbers, or permission to hunt on someone else's land.

By asking people to not hunt those areas, then expect more hunters in those areas already heavily populated with hunters. Its my understanding that by asking people to drive 1 hour away, for whatever reason, even to hunt, they wont or will choose a closer alternative. Most people seem to like being local. It affords more hunting time both in hours and in days sitting in the stand. The alternative is to not hunt at all....I dont see that happening. Not everyone is a trophy hunter, some are meat hunters, so a doe or a buck is perfectly fine with them as long as they can fill the freezer.

To help numbers the DNR issued only doe 400 tags this last year to 108. All the tags were claimed, obviously. That being said, with the perceived low deer numbers, would it not be logical to petition DNR to not issue ANY doe tags for 108 instead of asking people to not hunt their area at all? However, DNR does have a better understanding of the numbers in 108 and maybe they felt the numbers could sustain 400 doe tags. It would seem logical though, as a responsible hunter, who is out in the woods more than DNR, to take up a petition and ask that 108 be buck only. This kind of proactive action is what helps both the deer and the hunters. There is always going to be problems with weather, poaching and predation, we all know that.

As for the bears, Ive seen 6 bears last year and 4 this year all within a 10 kilometer radius, they were different bears, 2 were sows with cubs. The first I saw had 1 cub, the second had 3.

The blueberry fields were barely touched this year, farmers just didnt pick as much because the crop value was low. Bears got a free buffet which in biology means More food = More breeding. Bears being omnivores as well and opportunistic eaters, no matter if people bait or not, are going to hoover up every bit of food they can before the first snows. This is the same food deer rely on in winter. If a larger populace of bears are eating it, the deer are starving by mid-winter. They will migrate out of the area in search of safer and easier food access. Higher bear population and predation on fawns as well as food depletion really makes a difference.

That being said, many of the farmers out in 108 are growing corn this year. The few deer that have been harvested in the area are reported as being very fat and very close to farmed land. With corn available, deer wont wander far until those fields are harvested. Even then, once the corn is off the land the deer will eat the silage. They wont go far from their food source in winter, if its easier to eat off a field than scrounge twigs and withered apples in bear territory. Bear will also eat off the corn, but its in abundance so both species are able to share. As long as the food is easy to get the bear usually wont expend the energy to bother the deer.

Coyotes are certainly a factor. Ive not observed many in my immediate area, nor heard any at night. There do seem to be a huge number of raccoons and foxes though. Im a firm believer in keeping the invasive predator "Wiley" under strict management. I come from an area where there was a 0 survival rate in Pronghorn fawns due to excessive coyote predation. Perhaps our sneaky friend is to blame for low fawn numbers?

So all told:

Beef does NOT taste the same as it did and is often gross and disgusting. Not to mention over priced and of dubious origin/treatment. I for one love organic meat. I raise my own chickens for eggs and trap rabbits for meat. I have yet to get good at pheasant hunting, but I plan to harvest as much organic wild meat as possible to feed my family. I do not like to contribute to the corporate meat industry. Each year I try and get at least 1 deer. Last year I did go to 107 and harvest my deer because the numbers were down in 108 since 2015. I will say this though, there were far more deer last February around here than at this time this year.

Very well said,and i appreciate ur comment.Many valid points here especially people want ing to hunt local.I get it.But no one HAS to hunt EACH season.That is the point im trying to make i guess.Just to be clear,i do send letters regarding my concern each year they are justified.Especially regarding the doe tags and the 2 season/2 deer regs.For me,that has been the last 3 yrs.For that reason,i dont buy a licence.I could travel to harvest a deer very easily,but its cheaper for me to buy a side of pork and beef each year.I still wander the woods with shotgun,it relaxes me and always will,and i miss chasing big bucks big time,but im not interested in shooting one till things recover in areas we hunt.So i come here,to get reasoning and perhaps justification(and to voice my opinions as per usual lol)Lets face it,even on say......a 2 1/2 yr old healthy deer, the yield very low....so no ones filling a freezer unless they shoot a few lol.As for chain food supply stores i agree with u 100%. We also raise chickens and turkeys here,and buy out meet by the side .....i get what u are saying for sure.

In my eyes,that 1 harvest i make this year in a under populated area only contributes to decline the next.
Hopefully another lean winter will bring some hope for next season:)Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users