#81 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

I have been reading this thread as new comments are added and find the whole subject interesting. We have seen a difference in deer presence on our property from last year to this year, there does appear to be a lack of them this year. There are multiple factors contributing to this, no comment is neither right nor wrong as all contributors to the thread have their own opinions to why deer seem to be less abundant this year. Equally, everyone has the right to eat meat bought from Costco or anywhere else for that matter just as hunters have the right to harvest wild meat to feed their family if they prefer.

Those who take more than they need or those who take deer that they do not hold a tag for or take a deer and not hold a tag at all are not only cheating other fair hunting hunters but also themselves for future years to come.

My husband and I can take two deer each a year if we really wanted to, but we only need the one as we raise other livestock and hunt smaller game. We also prefer as a self reliant hunter/gatherer family to eat meat that has run free, free from added extras and those wild animals we hunt out wit us most of the time. That is the way it should be, spend time in the beautiful outdoors and if we are lucky take home wild food to nourish us.

So far it it looks like we may be eating tag soup, and although deer meat is met with keen eyes on the dinner table it also means that there is one more deer out there to carry on the next generation.

Just a small comment as hunters we have no right to hunt meat to feed our families, just like we have no right to own firearms in canada. Both IMO are privileges here

First nations have the right to hunt meat

Cheers

#82 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

Be careful in interpreting that.  60% of any random coyote's diet comes from deer. That isn't the same as 60% of deer are eaten by coyote.  People here are saying coyote numbers have come down.  I can't see how this can be the main issue today.

I don't know about other areas of the province , but out this way i've seen more coyotes and coyotes sign (scat , tracks etc.) than i've seen in quite a few years .In fact the wife and i were out for a drive a week ago (last sat night ) and almost hit one around 7.30pm right across from Sir John A high school.If i'd have been driving my truck , instead of the wifes hyundai , i could have smoked it .Those cars are all plastic and i would have smashed it up pretty good (which would not have gone over well with her :P )

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#83 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Just a small comment as hunters we have no right to hunt meat to feed our families, just like we have no right to own firearms in canada. Both IMO are privileges here

First nations have the right to hunt meat

Cheers

IMO as a being on this earth, we all have the right/privilege to hunt for food to feed our families. Cheers

#84 PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Lol - there is a chart on net,from pa.gov. 144lb field dressed deer will yield 80 lbs of consumable meat.So my estimate was pretty close!
But that's wasn't my point- even if 50 lbs it was still cheaper than Costco!
But hey while I got ur attention- next time you got those needles out maybe ya can knit me some wool gloves!

I would zero ur scales

#85 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11825 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

IMO as a being on this earth, we all have the right/privilege to hunt for food to feed our families. Cheers

Unfortunately your opinion, mine or anyone's for that matter holds no water in canada for the right to hunt or bear arms unless you are first nation. Privilege YES is all we have

If I am wrong please show me since I would love to have especially the right I have to bear arms like I have in the US if I ever return state side

Cheers

Not my words

According to the Supreme Court of Canada.

"Canadians, unlike Americans, do not have a constitutional right to bear arms," the high court stated in 1993, in a decision over the possession of convertible semi-automatic weapons.

Governments since Confederation have framed laws that are much more in line with gun possession being a "privilege" that is regulated and licensed, similar to laws that allow Canadians to drive cars.

#86 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

Unfortunately your opinion, mine or anyone's for that matter holds no water in canada for the right to hunt or bear arms unless you are first nation. Privilege YES is all we have

If I am wrong please show me since I would love to have especially the right I have to bear arms like I have in the US if I ever return state side

Cheers

Not my words

According to the Supreme Court of Canada.

"Canadians, unlike Americans, do not have a constitutional right to bear arms," the high court stated in 1993, in a decision over the possession of convertible semi-automatic weapons.

Governments since Confederation have framed laws that are much more in line with gun possession being a "privilege" that is regulated and licensed, similar to laws that allow Canadians to drive cars.

Thank you for that information, I am aware of of the laws regarding gun possession. I never mentioned possession of firearms in my initial comment, I simply said that as a hunter/gatherer we have the right to provide for our families. We do not need a firearm on every occasion in order to hunt. And, we certainly do not need one to head out into the woods to pick wild edibles. Thanks

#87 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

I would zero ur scales

Will do - how are those gloves coming,you did start them didn't you.Be a nice Christmas gift Tks.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users