#1 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Quick question for the trappers. Is it true if you are seeing a lot of foxes in an area there are few coyotes.

When I trapped coyotes were not even here or just starting

Reason I am asking is I am seeing a lot of foxes now around the house and haven't for years but that being said trappers took out over 30 coyotes behind my place two years ago

Thanks for the feedback

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

I've always noticed the same , when coyotes are low or moved from an area , foxes tend to return , I've found a fox killed by coyotes this spring when out antler shed hunting around my two blind sites. Yotes seem to prey on anything they can get . Thus other predators like foxes and Bobcats are low or nonexistent in that area they are abundant. In Framboise they are really high and no sign of foxes at all . Last year seen 3 foxes coming thru Forchu constantly , this year none yet and yotes are abundant . Shot 3 alone in early goose season coming in looking at goose decoys .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Joe, we used to have quite a number of foxes over in my neighborhood. They are gone now and I haven't seen one in my yard in 3 yrs. we do however, have a sizeable group of coyotes. It is my understanding that foxes will move into the towns or cities when coyotes show up.
One odd thing that may also be linked to coyotes is the disappearance of squirrels in the neighbourhood. Haven't seen or heard one in or around us in a few years.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Guys. Funny you mention squirrels. I had a major problem with them about 3 years ago. Live trapped seven I think and moved and even then seemed to be at least three around the feeders which I left alone since they were not down back like the others making nests in the greenhouse furnaces etc

That being said it must be a year now since i have seen one. 

Cheers

#5 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

No foxes here but like I mentioned before plenty of coyotes, no shortage of squirrels though.

I also don't see many raccoons either and I don't know if they are part of the coyotes diet.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#6 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Joe, we used to have quite a number of foxes over in my neighborhood. They are gone now and I haven't seen one in my yard in 3 yrs. we do however, have a sizeable group of coyotes. It is my understanding that foxes will move into the towns or cities when coyotes show up.
One odd thing that may also be linked to coyotes is the disappearance of squirrels in the neighbourhood. Haven't seen or heard one in or around us in a few years.

I think that Charlottetown had an issue with foxes a couple years ago, and I was told the coyotes caused the influx of foxes to the city.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

I think that Charlottetown had an issue with foxes a couple years ago, and I was told the coyotes caused the influx of foxes to the city.

Interesting. December it will be 25 years we are living here and it seems we are now making a full circle.

First years a good number of deer and lots of foxes and even lots of rabbits. Then we went through a very long phase of no foxes, almost no deer and no rabbits

Enter trapper 3 years ago and they did a wonderful job on the coyotes IMO so this year good numbers of deer ( to me that is seeing as many as 8 behind the house) foxes seem to have returned ( watched three playing in the yard today )but still no rabbits

Even seeing a bobcat from time to time over the past two years

Cheers

#8 deerman

deerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Joe I have been under the same impression, and was told by a conservation officer. If you have coyotes then no or few fox and vice versa. A couple years ago, one of my neighbors was leaving scraps about 30 feet from his backdrop with a cam set up. ( still don't understand why he'd do this.) he said he was feeding the fox. Well to our surprise he got a picture of a coyote eating the scraps and two fox sitting watching the coyote. So I don't know what to say. Plus I have trail cam pics at a stand about 2 miles from my house of both coyotes and fox in the same day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users