21 replies to this topic

#1 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:26 AM

Just curious what trappers are finding for coyote population . I'm only running a short line on my own property but have not seen any sign since Oct 12. Have not caught one either since season open .

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

Have not run any traps yet, but from what I've seen so far this year , numbers are high here in Richmond and Cape Breton counties where I hunt and travel
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

Plenty of sign and lots of activity during late afternoon/evening. I haven't set any traps yet but I'll be likely starting in the next week or two. There appears to be more yotes this year based on what I have observed but I'll know soon if that observation bears out with fact.

#4 fishoff

fishoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Have not run any traps yet, but from what I've seen so far this year , numbers are high here in Richmond and Cape Breton counties where I hunt and travel

Hi Tyson. In your opinion what are the yotes eating? With so few deer around, are they eating moose, rabbits, lynx, or gone vegetarian?

guns: the mis-informed see them as weapons, I see them as tools.

#5 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

From what scat piles I've seen this year , there is hair and bone in there , see a house kill not long ago and a day later two scat piles Whit grouse feathers thru it , first I ever seen that , lots with apple pieces , they are like any other predator , if something they think they can eat they will take it down . Saw one this spring with a squirrel in it's mouth , he made it about 5 yards before he got hammered, walked up and the squirrel was still fresh I guess it depends on what they catch or find , 4years ago came across a fresh deer kill, only couple hours old , set up on it that evening both me and my son , what we saw was something , counted 17 yotes coming down from hardwood ,yearlings some of them , most were older in the group, lots of fighting umong them while feeding on the carcass, trying find the video of it my son took before we laid some lead down range from our semi 12 s loaded with #4 buck , after 6 rounds went down the barrels 5 of the 17 lay dead and 4 wounded, reloaded and when we finished 9 lay dead. Set up traps that next morning with a buddy of mine at the end of season between shooting and trapping 31 yotes in that area bit the biscuit. Was the most I've ever seen come out of small area, it's not the ones you see it's the ones hiding off the side you really have watch for . I've been followed couple times to my truck at dark even after a coyote hunting itself . Damn things are not afraid as one may think

#6 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

up in one spot....almost none in another...only two spots i really go often......travelling the hwys tho....i'm seeing quite a few road kills

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#7 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5104 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

I know a guy who has watched them eat raspberries offthe bushes in his yard. It is the most adaptable predator on earth . They will eat anything to survive.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#8 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

From what scat piles I've seen this year , there is hair and bone in there , see a house kill not long ago and a day later two scat piles Whit grouse feathers thru it , first I ever seen that , lots with apple pieces , they are like any other predator , if something they think they can eat they will take it down . Saw one this spring with a squirrel in it's mouth , he made it about 5 yards before he got hammered, walked up and the squirrel was still fresh I guess it depends on what they catch or find , 4years ago came across a fresh deer kill, only couple hours old , set up on it that evening both me and my son , what we saw was something , counted 17 yotes coming down from hardwood ,yearlings some of them , most were older in the group, lots of fighting umong them while feeding on the carcass, trying find the video of it my son took before we laid some lead down range from our semi 12 s loaded with #4 buck , after 6 rounds went down the barrels 5 of the 17 lay dead and 4 wounded, reloaded and when we finished 9 lay dead. Set up traps that next morning with a buddy of mine at the end of season between shooting and trapping 31 yotes in that area bit the biscuit. Was the most I've ever seen come out of small area, it's not the ones you see it's the ones hiding off the side you really have watch for . I've been followed couple times to my truck at dark even after a coyote hunting itself . Damn things are not afraid as one may think

ive never seen a  family group like that...5-8 is usually  considered a  big group....wow ...crazy...love to see something like that

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#9 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I know a guy who has watched them eat raspberries offthe bushes in his yard. It is the most adaptable predator on earth . They will eat anything to survive.

I've seen raspberry in thier scat piles almost swear it was Fox scat until you see the size of it

#10 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

I've seen raspberry in thier scat piles almost swear it was Fox scat until you see the size of it

i dunno what they were exactly....but Ive def seen yote shite with seeds in it

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11411 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

ive never seen a  family group like that...5-8 is usually  considered a  big group....wow ...crazy...love to see something like that

Just a couple of years ago now behind the house we would see a group of 5 regularly the landowner was one of these types they are fine not bothering anyone until a horse got attacked. Then it was on and he called in  trapper

I talked to the trapper maybe 18 months after and forget if he told me he took 32 or 34 out of the immediate area

If we see any at all there is a lot more we are not seeing IMO

Cheers

#12 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

Just a couple of years ago now behind the house we would see a group of 5 regularly the landowner was one of these types they are fine not bothering anyone until a horse got attacked. Then it was on and he called in  trapper

I talked to the trapper maybe 18 months after and forget if he told me he took 32 or 34 out of the immediate area

If we see any at all there is a lot more we are not seeing IMO

Cheers

agree.....they just usually dont pack up like say wolves do. Its a common myth.

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11411 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

agree.....they just usually dont pack up like say wolves do. Its a common myth.

They do here since ours are part wolf

The mrs has quite a few pics of them somewhere but i can just find one right now

Don't laugh but I could go out on the deck with my johnny walker cassette  tape caller with the optional external speaker  LOL and bring them right into the yard that is my barn roof in the pic

Cheers

4Bj1IUx.jpg

#14 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

ultimate hunting challenge with trad gear and a mouth blown  call. 

3XjZMGU.jpg

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11411 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

ultimate hunting challenge with trad gear and a mouth blown  call. 

You and that dam old stick :)

I have a real sweet set of five or six Kerry Carver ???hand calls I bought  a couple of years ago but have not even used yet 

They sound better than the electronic foxpro

Cheers

#16 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

You and that dam old stick :)

I have a real sweet set of five or six Kerry Carver ???hand calls I bought  a couple of years ago but have not even used yet 

They sound better than the electronic foxpro

Cheers

sweet...I switched to e caller....but for personal satisfaction....nothing beats hand calling and having them come right in your lap.....as compared to a remote speaker....all fun....but its really the diff between a dry fly take and a wet fly....oopps...theres another argument lol...I mean discussion. Funny, just came in from a 7 mile walk ( knees dont permit too much running any more) the lake was all iced over...saw a few yotes tracks.....was wishing I had call...................

#17 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I use to get out a lot more...I had less time but seemed to manage it better or something.....maybe this winter !

#18 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

a dry fly is just a floating worm

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#19 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

a dry fly is just a floating worm

the key is to get the worm to float

#20 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Except for humans.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users