Second Anniversary Of A Faithful Companion Passing - Personal Tributes - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Second Anniversary Of A Faithful Companion Passing

Hunting Partner Chocolate Lab

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

As I sit and Ponder again this Waterfowl season , it is still hard to look over and see you not sitting there to get the call to "Get The Duck " and watch with shear pleasure you with your head up, tail upright and body poised to find your quarry laying on the water, watch you run hard and retrieve , swimming back with your prize in mouth , to drop at my feet only to sit back and do it all over . At 4 months old you were a natural , right up till your passing unexpected from Cancer , I seen the change in you that last September , you were slower , figure it was age but at only 6 years old I knew something was not good , Vets said it was fatigue and give you rest , so every second trip you stayed home only to hear you howl the house down . Lol,
I took you as much as I could that last season , more for you than for me , just having you lay at my feet and be in the place you loved as much as me was a delight, but I seen you slowly fade to that point I could not let you suffer anymore , when the vets finally found what was wrong it was too late , many tests later , showed nothing till finally they said it was cancer, did not have the heart to see you that way . Finally had to say good bye . Your portrait will always be Tattooed on my arm , The memories of your first retrieve , teaching you all that came so natural was a delight and great promise for us both. I had a faithful , hardworking and loving hunting companion, Now the blind seems empty , but I feel your presence there . There will never be another like you Magnum . Not just a hunting partner , but the family dog , and a true friend , who loved being in the outdoors , going in the boat for rides , fishing trips , seeing the look on your face when you watched nature in the off season . All those things will be remembered for many years to come . Till we meet again in that great big Duck Blind , I'll bring the duck calls ! You will forever Be Remembered !

Posted pic in Waterfowl , could not upload here
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#2 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

For anyone that like dogs, that puts a lump in ones throat. Sorry for your loss. I have no hunting dog, just a dog I took home 9 years ago. No one wanted, he was actually returned for health issues, bad hips, no hock on his hind legs (straight leg). He never could move far or go in a vehicle like other pets, and we have had many visits to the vet. He sits in the drive every hunting season refusing to come in for the wife until I have returned home. He has been an exceptional dog, part malamute/chow/wolf (140 lbs), many make comments that he resembles a bear, and I have to say sitting watching bears over the years, he has many of there characteristics it seems, food over rides all danger. Don't want that day to come for sure. Big part of the family here.

#3 Chesador

Chesador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

I know the feeling. My old fella is getting close to 13. Had a stroke a few days ago. Came around slowly but is wobbly on his feet. Totally deaf and sight diminishing. It hurts to watch him go downhill. I dread the day. Sorry for your loss.

#4 long-gone

long-gone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

great respect for a great friend.

I grew up hunting off hounds for rabbits. Love them little beagles. Don't have any now ( or want any lol) but still have a soft spot for them.

I once owned an incredible black lab I purchased fully finished. I chased waterfowl with him like a mad passion.....after he had to be put down at 11 years old.....I went waterfowling exactly once.  On that one and only trip without "Digger" I realized my enjoyment wasn't in shooting ducks lol.....

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#5 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Guys , it sure is not the same on waterfowl trips with out him, so many times he chased down a cripple bird with one in his mouth, find downed birds that never think you would retrieve. Sit beside you just keeping you company on those days alone in the field , last two seasons my Daughter has been by my side since my son went off to College, but we all say the same , he was a great friend over all . Now we have a Rottweiler , he's a sook , thinks he's a lap dog , 19 months 90 lbs , some lap dog LOL, I've always had Dogs , But He was my only Hunting Dog , But he was My Partner and Best Friend .I've got many videos of him in the field and at home , guys begged me to breed him for a pup , that was never a option , he was more than just a quick buck . As Waterfowl Season starts to come toward the end and his passing comes to mind . It's not easy , burried with his blanket , Duck retrieving toy and a Duck call . It clearly brings to heart it's not just about the hunt it's about the friendships and memories made and never letting that go.

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

I know the feeling. My old fella is getting close to 13. Had a stroke a few days ago. Came around slowly but is wobbly on his feet. Totally deaf and sight diminishing. It hurts to watch him go downhill. I dread the day. Sorry for your loss.

Hope your hunting partner , when time comes goes in a peaceful way. Never easy to let go . But never let go of those special times you both spent together, after all they are extended family , not just a animal we keep as pets . My heart goes out to you .

#7 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Our pets are true companions, and all spoken from dog lovers like myself.

My Black Lab is getting up there as well.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#8 southy

southy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Great post Tyson. 

I grew up with great hunting dogs and last Christmas finally got my own. This season has been his first hunting and while his puppy tendencies are still there, he's been a great companion to have in the blind. Reading your post makes me appreciate his company. My profile pic is actually his first retrieve from a couple weeks ago. All his practice paid off and to see how proud he was to bring it back straight to my hand was an awesome experience. 

#9 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Tbis is the kind of stuff that tugs at the heart strings. I have 2 buddies at home. A 4 year old female valley bull and an 8 year old  male sheltie mix. The greeting i receive from them when i get home always puts a smile on my face no matter what my mood is.

Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11336 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

Your post has brought a tear to my eye and I am sorry for your loss. They say time is the healer and we will get over it but I honestly never have

Just over 4 years for me now and my 1st french britt " Maggie" also took cancer and I had to put her down after I paid the vet close to 2 grand and she was DX for a year prior with everything but cancer. I remember him saying that day oh you don't have to come in I said like F'k that dog means more to me than some family members and when I took cancer and was bed ridden for 9 month she never left my side it is the least I can do for her. I cried like a baby when she passed on my lap looking into my eyes

I remember watching some hunting show in the early 80's Michigan outdoors or something like that and he had a orange and white french britt and I said some day I would love to have one of those. It finally happened for me in 2001 when I drove to Quebec and bought the runt of the litter " Maggie"

Her mother was some canadian field champ which I could not care less about and they dumped this pup IMO since she was not to their standard and had no warranty etc

I had never trained a hunting dog before but bought a ton of books and videos and did my best . She would not work pigeons so I had to raise bobwhite quail and pheasants to train her which was a wonderful experience and she developed into an unreal hunter which I managed to train on voice, hand and whistle commands. I went from getting the odd grouse and wood cock to limits that is when I could hit them :) and I can still see her looking back at me when I would miss with that look saying for F'k sake man I do all the work and you miss :) can you learn how to shoot please

I still have two other french brittss now Bell a black and white and a tri color named Lillie, yes sir Lillie, the french britt from hell but they are just more or less house pets since I don't have the health anymore to train them for hunting but man is it ever in Lillie from our walks in the woods

This pic of Maggie here the orange & white with Belle as a pup. I got this remington mug somewhere during that time and it sits on top of the wife's china cabnet and IMO truer words have never been written

I could have 100 more dogs but there will never be another like her and I still think of her often

Take care 

IL90TR9.jpg

97foG10.jpg

#11 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1859 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

I've read the post, shed a year remembered the hound we just put down this spring due to cancer. My heart is once again broken remembering the time spent in the woods listening to her soft beagle howl.
We got a new puppy shortly before she passed and although the pup is learning fast she will never replace the one we lost.
My heart goes out to everyone who loses that special 4legged friend
can i go hunting yet??

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Very Nice 3mac1 , Great looking dogs, Love the mug says it all right there, I know about the health thing , Magnum was a gift from my wife after my first mini stroke, when had my second he was there always, he followed me around the house as I started to recover , fishing season came he went straight to the truck and enjoyed just being by my side . Funny how a animal can grab hold of you and become more faithful than family , was same for me , vet said you can wait in the lobby I'll let ya know when I'm done , I said just give him his medicine and GET OUT ! Held him and told him I'll never forget ya. Took him home , we all cried as I layed him to rest next to the house , wrapped in his blanket , took a Duck call from my laynard , put his retrieving duck with him and Said. I'll see you again someday . I look at his resting spot and still tell him how he's missed.

Funny I've got family that I could care less about , but he was Family for us
Having a 4 legged companion in the outdoors is a special bond for all who they accompany ,
There will always be 1 or 2 that can and never will be replaced . Bringing home game is only a small part of what we do , there is a passion that is there for all that are involved in our outdoor activities

My heart goes out to those who lost a special outdoor companion . We loose friends as time goes by weather they are Human or animal , certain ones leave a memory that will never be forgotten

#13 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Tbis is the kind of stuff that tugs at the heart strings. I have 2 buddies at home. A 4 year old female valley bull and an 8 year old  male sheltie mix. The greeting i receive from them when i get home always puts a smile on my face no matter what my mood is.

They welcome us no matter how bad our day is , loving and loyal and always happy we are there, we are happy they are part of our lives . More loyal than some people

#14 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5688 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Man’s best friend,for sure,always loyal.And of course always part of the family.Always so sad to see them go,or to suffer.Part of the reason I no longer have one.Always remember them tho.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hunting Partner, Chocolate Lab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users