7 replies to this topic

#1 fishoff

fishoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

Due to an expected down turn in fur sales last year, NAFA sent notices to members to only send quality fur for any chance of sale. I haven't gotten any such notice this year (yet) so maybe things are unknown, or looking up for this year? Has anyone received any info for this year?

guns: the mis-informed see them as weapons, I see them as tools.

#2 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

I haven't seen anything come out from TANS on the 2018 fur price forecast, but everything I've read isn't looking good. I'm doing some coyote trapping and trapping a few Beaver and Muskrat for the meat. Other than that, trapping is a losing proposition if doing it for the money. I'm using the Beaver and Muskrat furs to make some hats and mitts.

Here's a link to one of the few articles I've read.

http://www.trapperpr...r-market-report

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

I don't sell any coyote fur I trap , it's a pass time to do so predator control, I've got a friend who takes and fur that's sutable for market , last year was just not worth it he told me on what he alone harvested . What I supplied him with barely paid for some new leg holds this year .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

I don't sell any coyote fur I trap , it's a pass time to do so predator control, I've got a friend who takes and fur that's sutable for market , last year was just not worth it he told me on what he alone harvested . What I supplied him with barely paid for some new leg holds this year .

100% agree Tyson10gauge. Trapping these days is for the love of being in the woods and helping control the predator population, definitely not for the money...lol. 

#5 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:50 PM

Anytime I can get in the woods , either setting few leg holds for predators , scouting for deer , fishing or on a upland or waterfowl hunt is a great thing to experience , lots of time me and the misses and our Rottie will just go for a hike on some old abandoned trail. Our beloved traditions are being lost , thank fully I've got 3 kids who are all learning about these passions, when I'm gone trapping my daughter's most time are coming in to help , they always ask why I don't sell my fur , basically said not worth the extra work for low grade fur . Last year I took 41 yotes of them 27 were shot , kinda hard make any money on buckshot fur .lol, it's those that try to supliment thier income on fur that I sympathize with , fur industry is always under pressure . When countries stop buying or are not being shipped to , it takes a toll on prices , my buddy stopped trapping most species due to lack of value
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#6 ve1fsm

ve1fsm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

I'm new to trapping and Not doing it for the Money. My main reason is if I have traps and snares set then I HAVE to get up and go for a walk. LOL

This year the Property that I hunted, I stop the beaver from flooding the road for the Land Owner (for now).

For those that hunt ducks, Grouse, Rabbits . ETC.. should be trapping Raccoons to help control their populations , They love eggs and are not beyond eating rabbit ducks or birds . Coyotes I just hate, Although I haven't gotten any in snares yet I'll keep setting them as long as I see signs

Trapping for me is definitely not for the Money, but the love of being in the woods and learning new things that I can hopefully have a chance to pass to my Grand kids.

#7 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Beaver castor is selling well.

#8 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Both auction houses have always had the best results with prime pelts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users