10 replies to this topic

#1 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

I called Harvester Muzzleloader Products to inquire about sabots and bullets being shipped to Nova Scotia. Was informed that Lawrys Shooting Sports is the Canadian dealer. Just curious if anybody has dealt with Lawrys and what was customer service like. I'm wanting to try the PT Gold bullets and Crushed Rib sabots out of a CVA Optima V2.Thanks for any help.

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

I ordered a bunch of powders, and a few odds and sods from them a few years ago when powder was hard to get...top notch service !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

I used to order my sabots from the US (Muzzleloaders.com), but if I can get them from Ontario, thats the route I'll use next time I need to order.  I just looked at the Lawry site and if their sabot pricing is current, they are better than the US prices.  I haven't used the PT gold projectile but I use the Crush Rib Sabot with either a Barnes TEZ, Hornady MonoFlex or the Hornady SST's with excellent results.  All load super easy in my TC.

#4 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2332 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:08 AM

Lawery has always been good to order from . Have ordered shot powder , primers and wads on several occacations back when I was member of DCTA .being a member mean you could piggy back your order on the clay target order with no shipping charge .you just had to show up and help unload the 18 wheeler load of targets .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#5 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hey Caper391! I can't seem to find the barnes tez bullets anywhere in Canada...drove to moncton today, no luck at Green Diamond, Cabelas, or Bass Pro! Do you know of any place where I can drive to or order online for these bullets.Also when I called Harvester Muzzleloader Products J-Ron informed me about Lawrys, and told me I could get their products cheaper thru Lawrys.Just getting into muzzleloaders and would like to try both the tez and pt gold bullets with crush rib sabots or their high pressure sabots (whichever shoot best).If any members have any experience with either of these bullets or sabots in a CVA Optima V2 it would be appreciated. ..thanks.

#6 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hey Caper391! I can't seem to find the barnes tez bullets anywhere in Canada...drove to moncton today, no luck at Green Diamond, Cabelas, or Bass Pro! Do you know of any place where I can drive to or order online for these bullets.Also when I called Harvester Muzzleloader Products J-Ron informed me about Lawrys, and told me I could get their products cheaper thru Lawrys.Just getting into muzzleloaders and would like to try both the tez and pt gold bullets with crush rib sabots or their high pressure sabots (whichever shoot best).If any members have any experience with either of these bullets or sabots in a CVA Optima V2 it would be appreciated. ..thanks.

beaverbank270...I always purchased my Barnes Spitfire T-EZ bullets online through either Cabelas Canada or Muzzleloaders.com in the US. I don't suppose you seen the Remington Premier AccuTip muzzleloader bullet in any of your travels today?  If so, the bullet is a Barnes SpitFire and the green sabot is specifically made for the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader.  Throw the green sabot away and use a crushrib and your in business.

#7 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Hey Caper391! Thanks for the info on muzzleloader.com....Went to Cabelas today, no Barnes in stock, but I did exactly what you suggested. ..I bought the accutips and will be using the crushed ribs....price wasn't bad..29.99 for a 24 pack of 250 gainers. Any experience with other bullets? I've got some Hornady SST 250 grains in route also.Gonna stick with Blackhorn 209 as a propellant and give the Federal 209 magnums a go as well.My buddy picked up a pack of the Noslers to try...his first muzzleloader also. Hey, thanks, appreciate the help, BJ.

#8 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Hey Caper391! Thanks for the info on muzzleloader.com....Went to Cabelas today, no Barnes in stock, but I did exactly what you suggested. ..I bought the accutips and will be using the crushed ribs....price wasn't bad..29.99 for a 24 pack of 250 gainers. Any experience with other bullets? I've got some Hornady SST 250 grains in route also.Gonna stick with Blackhorn 209 as a propellant and give the Federal 209 magnums a go as well.My buddy picked up a pack of the Noslers to try...his first muzzleloader also. Hey, thanks, appreciate the help, BJ.

$29.99 is a pretty good deal.  I have very limited experience with anything other than the Barnes and Hornady bullets.  I tried various ones from each manufacturer and found that the 250's worked better than the heavier weights.  For me, I found a combination that I was happy with so I just stuck with it and didn't feel the need to tinker any further.  I also use Blackhorn 209 powder (110 gr Volume) with a CCI209M primer and my gun will shoot 1" groups all day long as long as I do my part.  I believe that the Federal 209's are the hottest primer so you should be good to go there.  Just out of curiosity, do you have the CVA Blackhorn 209 breach plug in your Optima or are you using the stock one?  A friend of mine had problems with Blackhorn powder in his Optima until he swapped out the breach plug.  Good luck.

#9 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Caper391. ..I will be going over to Young Guns on Monday to pick up a couple more cans of bh 209 along with the bh 209 breech plug. I've got some pt gold 260 and 300 gainers along with some of their sabots on the way from Lawrys.Still going to hope to find Barnes TEZ somewhere locally, maybe Brian Dens more. BJ.

#10 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Best of luck.  Have fun experimenting and I hope you find a good combo that your happy with.

#11 Maritime Storm

Maritime Storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationRiverview, NB

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

Lawry has always been good to order from . Have ordered shot powder , primers and wads on several occacations back when I was member of DCTA .being a member mean you could piggy back your order on the clay target order with no shipping charge .you just had to show up and help unload the 18 wheeler load of targets .

We use the same system in Moncton. Lawrys have always been good to deal with from my perspective.

Show me a Pair

Administrator, Moncton Gun Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users