#1 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I bought  my first trapping license in  Labrador  in 87 Then I moved to NS and trapped here for 3 years  then got posted out west  but didn't trap. Once I got back to NS I started again and I've held a trapping license every year since 93 .  My rule was to do up all the dry fur that was caught today. Any wet fur was dried and processed tomorrow if dry. along with that days dry fur. In 95 I ran into an older trapper out  Lake Echo way , Porter Lake . He trapping all over east of Dartmouth    He trapped one side of the creek and I was on the other side of the creek.

If he had a snare on a log crossing I had a snare on my side.  This is how I learned to trap watching what he did. . Seems the cats were almost always in his sets.

Anyways  Lee Adams  was his name . He trapped only on nice days as he was retired  from the dock yard. He only skinned all dry critters today.  He never fleshed any animals until mid Jan and worked on them til mid Feb  when he was ready for the trappers work shop in Mar . He always entered fur in the competition under he and his son name  but Lee did all the work. Many years in a row they cleaned up the first places

If he didn't win then he would tell me that is fixed  as the judges thought that he won too often.

Anyways Lee is gone now and others have taken his place with fine fur handling at the workshop.

So this season I decided to change up my rule of  process same day  to skinning and freezing til Feb.

Total fur thus far  was 2 mink (caught in the  chicken coop) 2 yotes (Caught at my bait site), and 3 nuisance beaver from a neighbors place.

I found my fur didn't flesh as well as fresh so this is my last year trying that.

When do you do up your fur?.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#2 Steadydraw

Steadydraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

I like to try to get it done the same day I bring it home as well. Although I find this time of year I often end up doing it the following day as the critter takes a night to thaw/dry out.

I have froze fur when I don't have enough stretchers or for whatever reason and have found the texture of the fat changes and makes it a bit harder to peel off.. Could've been just me though

#3 clayduster

clayduster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Depends on time available vs amount of fur.  I like to process everything as soon as it is dry (and even the long hair animals this season all come in wet thanks to the weather) I will flesh and put up if time permits as soon as it is skinned or they go in the fridge for a day or two at most if it is warm as I don't like fleshing warm pelts as it gets messy.  

If I am really pressed for time, the animals are skinned and then I vacuum seal the pelts with a vac sealer and I bought rolls of vac bags I cut to length to fit the pelts.  I freeze individually things like otter, cats, coyote and beaver, small stuff like rats and mink fit nice about 20 to a bag.  They don't take a lot of room when done this way and keep good.   I have stored them 2 years this way and no issues and doesn't seem to make any diff vs fresh to me.  They all grade the same too from what I can see.   I roll the fur up tight so there is no skin exposed and do not flesh them prior to freezing.

Freezing for long times is risky though.  I fell victim to a failure back in December 2016 as I was away as a guest at the QE2 for about 6 weeks and returned home to a dead freezer and lost about half of my saved fur (there were hundreds of pelts as I didn't ship any of my 2015/16 catch as I thought I would wait for prices to rise!)  

My plan this year is to have it all cleaned out and shipped to Nafa first of April. I am in the fur shed at least every other day during the season to check my freezer, but it can go unchecked for a long time come summer.  

Catching lots of coyotes lately and they are running hard now as breeding season is on.   Pelts still look ok. 

CD

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

My self I'm strickly a predator Trapper , any yotes or cats or coons I skin that day if time permits or very next morning ,after it's thawed out , flesh it out that day skinned and get ready to dry on stretchers , any fur I get goes in with a guy who traps alot more than me , so it goes with his to market , I don't hold on to anything for better prices as it's mostly a hobby to offset some of the years Hunting cost . Yotes are on the move really good now , was out this morning and 3 in leg holds that were almost dormant last 2 weeks got my first cat of the season as well , was almost ready to pull out and move everything this morning , but after this mornings catches I'll leave for now . Now gotta leave em dry till morning hopefully .I'll be busy all day tomorrow .plus I've got the time to process anything up asap

I Remember hearing of Lee Adams from guys I learned to trap from , as with him they are not gone as well .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#5 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

Skin generally same day . If I'm catching a bit just freeze until time free. I do like having as much fur as I can on furharvesters first sale.

#6 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

I bought a new caribou fleshing knife this year. What a great fleshing tool

#7 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:27 AM

Pelt competitions have been changing since market requirements change . For example raccoon . One time we used to leave the front legs out and spread on a board . Some trappers would skin out the toes and put a push pin in each toe . For a while these type of pelts might win. Once the industry set standards changed so did the pelt competition standard .

#8 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Razorback if you had Lee Adams as a mentor you had the best ! Always marveled at the fur he put up for TANS. competition. I usually skin late that day or next morning. I usually blow water & dirt out with air compressor and hang with fan blowing on them to dry fur. After skun they are rolled bagged  & froze not less shipping day is close. I start fleshing & boarding when not busy and try to make bad weather days fur days. I hate it when shipping time is close and a lot of fur yet to be boarded.    

#9 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Beaver in deep freeze until next year Jan 2019 saleo

#10 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Razorback if you had Lee Adams as a mentor you had the best ! Always marveled at the fur he put up for TANS. competition. I usually skin late that day or next morning. I usually blow water & dirt out with air compressor and hang with fan blowing on them to dry fur. After skun they are rolled bagged  & froze not less shipping day is close. I start fleshing & boarding when not busy and try to make bad weather days fur days. I hate it when shipping time is close and a lot of fur yet to be boarded.    

C4T I didn't have Lee Adams as a mentor.

. We just crossed pathes in the woods .

A great day for me was carrying fur out of the woods...... even if it was his.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users