Whitetail Deer And Clearcutting - Fund Raising News & Events - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Whitetail Deer And Clearcutting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 prettyboy

prettyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

The Cape Breton Island Wildlife Association is hosting Dr. Rob Coleman of the Quality Deer Management Association(QDMA) for a discussion and talk on the effects of clearcutting on the whitetail deer population. This meeting is free and open to the public on May 12, 2018 at the Brooks Haven Recreational hall (highway 327) at 2pm. All are welcome please visit our Facebook page for more details. https://www.facebook.com/cbiwildlife/

#2 Steadydraw

Steadydraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

Any way to stream or record this for those who cannot attend?

#3 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Any way to stream or record this for those who cannot attend?

I'll second this.

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2822 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

I'll certainly be attending
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#5 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1863 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

If I was closer I'd be there
Can't justify a second trip down in a week as I'm planning to go to the outdoor show may 6
can i go hunting yet??

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2822 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

If I was closer I'd be there
Can't justify a second trip down in a week as I'm planning to go to the outdoor show may 6

See ya there

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5708 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

I'll certainly be attending

Let us know what ya learn ! Ask them what happens to the deer when every fn tree is cut and there are no woods left for the deer.
Here the deer wound up in my backyard!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2822 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Let us know what ya learn ! Ask them what happens to the deer when every fn tree is cut and there are no woods left for the deer.
Here the deer wound up in my backyard!

I'll be taking notes, curious myself what this will bring to light .

#9 Steadydraw

Steadydraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Tyson, did you attend this? Or anyone else? 

Curious to hear what Rod had to say.

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2822 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

No I Could not , Had a Family Medical Emergency to look after . Was outta province for long weekend

#11 Steadydraw

Steadydraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

No I Could not , Had a Family Medical Emergency to look after . Was outta province for long weekend

No sweat, life happens!

Anyone else make it out?

#12 prettyboy

prettyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

I  was there very informative, this guy knows his stuff. We apparently have lots of deer food in Cape Breton but the buck to doe ratio is way out of whack. It should be 1-3 we have 1-7 or more it is causing great harm to our deer herd. He recommends a photographic deer survey to determine herd composition and approximate numbers. He would provide direction and analysis for us . If we could only get some funding !!! You would think this is what the HCF is for but our fearless leaders would rather give the money to Acadia than to use it for hunters and fisherman of the province.

#13 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

How would they do this photographic survey?  By aircraft?  Hopefully not helicopter, very expensive.  I'd think a drone today could do what was done years ago from the air.  Maybe an ultralight aircraft would be best at it - put on a couple of Go Pro cameras to cover left and right angled views.  How effective is a count from the air?  Would deer appear from the air while they are in the woods under the cover of forests?

I've always wondered about the role of moss, lichen, ferns, etc on the forest floor when it comes to the life cycles of deer and other creatures.  These are things that are lost greatly in clear cuts and take many years to come back - they seem to need a good canopy.

#14 prettyboy

prettyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

The one he talked about just used trail cameras.1 camera for 100 acres of land.Using bait the procedures are on the QDMA website. Using the pics and formulas he can get a good idea of what the population looks like. Another method was a high resolution infared night shot from a satellite.Expensive!!

#15 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

The one he talked about just used trail cameras.1 camera for 100 acres of land.Using bait the procedures are on the QDMA website. Using the pics and formulas he can get a good idea of what the population looks like. Another method was a high resolution infared night shot from a satellite.Expensive!!

Wow, that would be impressive.  It would probably register the heat from any good sized creature, such as someone taking a pee on a cool summer night. That would look something like:

o-O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users