9 replies to this topic

#1 001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationO

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Just getting into muzzle loading, bought a t/c impact and using BH 209, just wondering if people take there powder and bullet out of their gun, say if you were hunting and you didn't shoot and you know your going again the next day. of course taking the primer out. would love to hear what you have to say.

#2 harv

harv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

Leave the powder in ,if you are going out agin in the am ,once the primer is removed the gun is considered unloaded ,I have left powder in for a week or more at times with no problems.. IMHO

#3 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Like Harv said , you can leave it in (primer out ) if you're going hunting again the next day ,etc. Even though they say the modern muzzleloaders are pretty much water proof , i usually unload mine and clean it (just in case )if it's been raining while i was hunting .I don't usually shoot mine off to unload (unless it's the last day of the season, don't like making a racket in the spot i'm hunting )i just unscrew the breach and push the bullet and powder (or pellets ) out .I've left mine in for a few weeks at a time ,and when i shot at the buck that year , it went boom just fine :)

DSCF5892
[

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#4 ScottU

ScottU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Just to piggy back on this discussion. What is everyone doing to store their powder after the season? I have White Hots, and have stored then in a dry room, thus far. Not sure if cold and dry or warm and dry matters or not. Also how long are White Hots good for? You get a lot of pellets in a package that unless you are shooting targets you will never use in a season or two for that matter. 

Thanks,

#5 ScottU

ScottU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Also I leave my powder and bullet in my muzzle, and take the primer out. I will take it out if I am packing up and heading home if I haven't gotten anything with it. 

#6 001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationO

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

thanks for the information 

#7 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Just getting into muzzle loading, bought a t/c impact and using BH 209, just wondering if people take there powder and bullet out of their gun, say if you were hunting and you didn't shoot and you know your going again the next day. of course taking the primer out. would love to hear what you have to say.

I'm going to assume that you are interested in following the law.

To be compliant with the law, your rifle must be stored 'unloaded'. On this issue, the law is clear; in order to meet the definition of 'unloaded', you must take both powder and projectile out of the bore; on this issue, you have no choice.

The other posters either do not care about compliance with the law, or they are confused by the section that permits the transport between hunting sites of a loaded muzzleloader if the loaded muzzleloader's firing cap or flint is removed. The only place you can transport your loaded muzzloader - even with firing cap or flint removed - is between hunting sites. That section does not permit anything beyond that.

It does not permit transport between your home and a hunting site; it does not permit transport between a hunting site and a Tim Horton's; it does not permit transport between a hunting site and your home; it does not re-define the loaded muzzleloader as 'unloaded' merely because it's firing cap or flint is removed, and; it does not permit any storage of any loaded firearm anywhere.

unloaded, in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. (non chargée)

http://laws-lois.jus...page-1.html#h-1

• 5 (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if

• (a) it is unloaded;

• (b ) it is

• (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,

• (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or

• (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

• © it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

• (2) Paragraph (1)(b )  does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.

• (3) Paragraphs (1)(b ) and © do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

http://laws-lois.jus...page-1.html#h-3

• 10 (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

• (a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

• (b ) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

• (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

• (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

• (b ) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

• (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

• (a) is not visible; and

• (b ) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

http://laws-lois.jus...page-2.html#h-8

#8 001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationO

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

ok good to know, sounds like its the way to go, keeps your powder dry better if its unloaded as well, not to mention I always follow the law  :rolleyes: right

#9 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

If you are going to use BH209.... and unload after every time you come from the woods.... you will lose a lot of expensive powder. I used loose powder last year and the powder and the projectile stayed in the gun for the month of October. I take the primer out at the end of each hunt. It also stays locked in my truck every night .... in a locked garage...for the entire season.

#10 Ghost

Ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationMainland NS

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

like Wendell says, you should follow the law...

but on the topic of keeping your powder dry, i've heard of guys using finger cots over the end of their barrels: https://www.amazon.c...ords=finger cot

also, if you hunt a lot when there's lots of snow down (with any kind of gun) throw one of these things on the end of your barrel and it's one less thing to worry about.  not sure it's really something to be worried about... but if you do...

barrel condoms.  use them.  be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users