#1 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9143 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

It's with a heavy heart I write this, this morning. I found out last night that

Hunting / shooting advocate, supporter and the founder of Hnatiuks has passed away.

Sadly, Jim Hnatiuk passed on August 19th, 2018.

Jim always had a few minutes of his time to talk to you, no matter how busy he was. Helluva nice guy, always a strong supporter of the shooting industry, no matter if you hunted or not.

Over the years, he eagerly donated thousands of prizes to different clubs and organizations who are / were promoting the sport !

I remember going into the one little room in the old house that first became his "gun shop". way back when.

Back then, compared to now, it certainly was...small digs...lol,  but still,  a great place to go and handle and look at a few firearms. I walked outta there with a chessire cat smile 5 or 6 times with new firearms over the years. So did some of my friends. That was their "first gun shop" they ever visited !

My deepest condolences to Douglas, Carleen, their families, and the rest of the staff up there.

Jim will be sadly missed by a great many people.

Kevin

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11336 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

It's with a heavy heart I write this, this morning. I found out last night that

Hunting / shooting advocate, supporter and the founder of Hnatiuks has passed away.

Sadly, Jim Hnatiuk passed on August 19th, 2018.

Jim always had a few minutes of his time to talk to you, no matter how busy he was. Helluva nice guy, always a strong supporter of the shooting industry, no matter if you hunted or not.

Over the years, he eagerly donated thousands of prizes to different clubs and organizations who are / were promoting the sport !

I remember going into the one little room in the old house that first became his "gun shop". way back when.

Back then, compared to now, it certainly was...small digs...lol,  but still,  a great place to go and handle and look at a few firearms. I walked outta there with a chessire cat smile 5 or 6 times with new firearms over the years. So did some of my friends. That was their "first gun shop" they ever visited !

My deepest condolences to Douglas, Carleen, their families, and the rest of the staff up there.

Jim will be sadly missed by a great many people.

Kevin

Yes sir and that seems like yesterday to me

My condolences to his many friends and family

Cheers

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

He Certainly will be sadly missed umong the Hunting and Shooting sports community , treated me very well over the years when ever had a chance to stop in when on the hunt for a new item , many times found something else I could not resist to leave behind .

Deepest Condolences to his Family
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5688 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Heart felt condolences to all family,friends and employees.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#5 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2325 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:31 PM

Shocking news truely sadden .my condolences to his family and employees .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#6 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

I am sorry to hear of his passing, condolences to the family and staff.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#7 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:23 AM

bummer - Jim's drive to set up shop & promote hunting/fishing/shooting was/is a great addition to our small outdoor community. Enjoyed dealing with him & chatting to him over the years. Condolences.

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9143 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Received an email this morning. Hnatiuk's store will be closed on Monday, in honor of Jim. A celebration of life for Jim will be held on Monday at....2 PM

Emmanuel Baptist Church
633 Pockwock Rd
Hammonds Plains, NS           

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#9 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Some surprises for sure!  Quite an interesting life.
-------------------------------------

HUNT SHOP OWNER HNATIUK
OVERCAME CHILDHOOD TRAUMA

Jim Hnatiuk survived moments of darkness to shine light into the lives of others and build a successful business around one of his greatest torments.~

• The founder of Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing Ltd. and Hnatiuk's Gun Range in Lantz died suddenly on the evening of Aug. 18. The cause of his death was hardening of the arteries. He was 67.

It's understood Hnatiuk, a former leader of the Christian Heritage Party of Canada, died at home while reading the Bible. 

His son Doug Hnatiuk, who took over the business when his father retired last year, says Hnatiuk saw most of his family members and longtime customers the day he died.

"The day Dad passed, he came by the store and we had a BBQ here," the 43-year-old told allNovaScotia.

"Usually there's a lot of regret in not saying something or not seeing someone for a long time... but not too many people can say they didn't see him because he came by and we all talked."

One of 10 children, Hnatiuk was born into a farming family in 1950 in the small rural township of Emo, Ont.

He was orphaned at the age of six after his father, Peter Hnatiuk, shot his mother, Mary Hnatiuk, and then attempted to shoot the children before ultimately shooting himself. 

Hnatiuk detailed his personal struggle and recovery to help others following the murder-suicide in his 2016 book Know This... From Torments To Miracles.

He was taken in by the Ojibwa People, who taught him the skills of hunting and trapping black bear and beaver, before spending a few years with relatives Andrew and Helen Hajdu in Stratton, Ont.

For most of his high school years, Hnatiuk attended a boarding school run by Oblate priests near the Manitoba border.

He later joined the Canadian Armed Forces and served for 25 years in the combat systems engineering department, rising to the highest non-commissioned rank of Chief Petty Officer 1st Class.

During his time with the Royal Canadian Navy, the sailor became interested in taxidermy, a trade he taught himself with the help of some Popular Mechanics books and game stuffers he met while stationed at various ports (see 2012-11-13).

Hnatiuk retired in 1995 with a certificate of service and Canadiandecoration. 

He went on to build Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing from the ground up, beginning with a small shop out of his garage. 

An avid hunter, Hnatiuk in 2008 moved his store into a 6,000-square-foot retail space at 1111 Highway 2, where weapons, scopes and assorted paraphernalia are sold under the watchful eyes of stuffed bears, deer, moose and other prizes.

Later that year, he was elected leader of the Christian Heritage Party - the sixth largest political party in Canada - and served in the role for six years. 

In 2012, entrepreneur Jim Smith bought a 50% stake in Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing.

That same year, the business was awarded the Nova Scotiagovernment contact to oversee and provide all hunter education, non-restricted and restricted firearm courses for the province, resulting in the establishment of Hnatiuk's training division.

Smith and Ryan Smith own the building at 5 Mill Village Road in Shubenacadie where courses are taught. 

In 2014, Hnatiuk expanded his business again with the launch of a shooting range to allow unlicensed walk-ins the chance to fire off a few rounds (see 2014-12-01).

He said at the time that the seven-lane, fully automated, heated handgun range was created to fill a void in the market, providing shooting enthusiasts with a place to go in the winter. 

Hnatiuk subsequently launched Scotia Gun Club and became president of the non-profit group.

His son says the roughly 3,000-sf range will help set the family business apart from Cabela's, which is slated to open a hunting and fishing megastore in Dartmouth Crossing this fall (see 2015-06-10).

"I don't expect us to be affected as much as other places because of our indoor range and the business it brings in," he said, adding Cabela's won't have a range. 

"Their stores are beautiful, just jaw-dropping with all the taxidermy and how they do them up, but once you get down to it and you start looking at price, I find we're very competitive.

"Once the novelty of walking through the store wears out, I expect to get most of the business back."

Hnatiuk's death came one week before he was set to depart on a two-week trip to Tenali, India to visit an orphanage he and his wife, Ellen, had been supporting financially for nearly a decade.

The Enfield couple planned to personally donate $2,500 towards the 29 children's most urgent needs.

They have two adult children, including Carlleen Cole, who serves as marketing manager of Hnatiuk's hunting and fishing, and four grandsons.

"The business will be able to continue on basically because of what Dad taught us all."

The shop was bustling Tuesday as customers stocked up for hunting season, which kicks off Sept. 10.

#10 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1750 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Some surprises for sure!  Quite an interesting life.
-------------------------------------

HUNT SHOP OWNER HNATIUK
OVERCAME CHILDHOOD TRAUMA

Jim Hnatiuk survived moments of darkness to shine light into the lives of others and build a successful business around one of his greatest torments.~

• The founder of Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing Ltd. and Hnatiuk's Gun Range in Lantz died suddenly on the evening of Aug. 18. The cause of his death was hardening of the arteries. He was 67.

It's understood Hnatiuk, a former leader of the Christian Heritage Party of Canada, died at home while reading the Bible. 

His son Doug Hnatiuk, who took over the business when his father retired last year, says Hnatiuk saw most of his family members and longtime customers the day he died.

"The day Dad passed, he came by the store and we had a BBQ here," the 43-year-old told allNovaScotia.

"Usually there's a lot of regret in not saying something or not seeing someone for a long time... but not too many people can say they didn't see him because he came by and we all talked."

One of 10 children, Hnatiuk was born into a farming family in 1950 in the small rural township of Emo, Ont.

He was orphaned at the age of six after his father, Peter Hnatiuk, shot his mother, Mary Hnatiuk, and then attempted to shoot the children before ultimately shooting himself. 

Hnatiuk detailed his personal struggle and recovery to help others following the murder-suicide in his 2016 book Know This... From Torments To Miracles.

He was taken in by the Ojibwa People, who taught him the skills of hunting and trapping black bear and beaver, before spending a few years with relatives Andrew and Helen Hajdu in Stratton, Ont.

For most of his high school years, Hnatiuk attended a boarding school run by Oblate priests near the Manitoba border.

He later joined the Canadian Armed Forces and served for 25 years in the combat systems engineering department, rising to the highest non-commissioned rank of Chief Petty Officer 1st Class.

During his time with the Royal Canadian Navy, the sailor became interested in taxidermy, a trade he taught himself with the help of some Popular Mechanics books and game stuffers he met while stationed at various ports (see 2012-11-13).

Hnatiuk retired in 1995 with a certificate of service and Canadiandecoration. 

He went on to build Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing from the ground up, beginning with a small shop out of his garage. 

An avid hunter, Hnatiuk in 2008 moved his store into a 6,000-square-foot retail space at 1111 Highway 2, where weapons, scopes and assorted paraphernalia are sold under the watchful eyes of stuffed bears, deer, moose and other prizes.

Later that year, he was elected leader of the Christian Heritage Party - the sixth largest political party in Canada - and served in the role for six years. 

In 2012, entrepreneur Jim Smith bought a 50% stake in Hnatiuk's Hunting and Fishing.

That same year, the business was awarded the Nova Scotiagovernment contact to oversee and provide all hunter education, non-restricted and restricted firearm courses for the province, resulting in the establishment of Hnatiuk's training division.

Smith and Ryan Smith own the building at 5 Mill Village Road in Shubenacadie where courses are taught. 

In 2014, Hnatiuk expanded his business again with the launch of a shooting range to allow unlicensed walk-ins the chance to fire off a few rounds (see 2014-12-01).

He said at the time that the seven-lane, fully automated, heated handgun range was created to fill a void in the market, providing shooting enthusiasts with a place to go in the winter. 

Hnatiuk subsequently launched Scotia Gun Club and became president of the non-profit group.

His son says the roughly 3,000-sf range will help set the family business apart from Cabela's, which is slated to open a hunting and fishing megastore in Dartmouth Crossing this fall (see 2015-06-10).

"I don't expect us to be affected as much as other places because of our indoor range and the business it brings in," he said, adding Cabela's won't have a range. 

"Their stores are beautiful, just jaw-dropping with all the taxidermy and how they do them up, but once you get down to it and you start looking at price, I find we're very competitive.

"Once the novelty of walking through the store wears out, I expect to get most of the business back."

Hnatiuk's death came one week before he was set to depart on a two-week trip to Tenali, India to visit an orphanage he and his wife, Ellen, had been supporting financially for nearly a decade.

The Enfield couple planned to personally donate $2,500 towards the 29 children's most urgent needs.

They have two adult children, including Carlleen Cole, who serves as marketing manager of Hnatiuk's hunting and fishing, and four grandsons.

"The business will be able to continue on basically because of what Dad taught us all."

The shop was bustling Tuesday as customers stocked up for hunting season, which kicks off Sept. 10.

Thanks for sharing Rob  -  this is only one reason why I'll continue to put my hunting/fishing dollars to Hnatiuks, Young Guns, etc. instead of Cabelas. Don't dislike Cabelas but these shops have treated me well and I hope they continue to supply the needs of sportsmen/sportswomen.  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#11 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for sharing Rob  -  this is only one reason why I'll continue to put my hunting/fishing dollars to Hnatiuks, Young Guns, etc. instead of Cabelas. Don't dislike Cabelas but these shops have treated me well and I hope they continue to supply the needs of sportsmen/sportswomen.  

Sad thing. I was not sure reading this the other day who had passed. I frequented the store a few times, actually last month and recall him being there. Seemed to be a very knowledgeable fellow, probably the glue for that store. Sure he will be missed. A lot of local shops have been good. Lequilles in my area does a lot for the community and shoots etc. I stop at all the little stores I pass by from Cape Breton, Halifax, Dartmouth, Bridgewater and the Valley, Cabellas I could care less, they have pretty well screwed themselves.

#12 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

With or without Cabelas, I will continue to shop at Hnatiuk's as they have always been good to deal with.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users